1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Reiza free idea for a more advanced TT format.

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by BrunoB, May 7, 2021.

1. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

The simple TT hotlapping format AMS2 use today have absolutely zero relevance if you want to show (or compare) your driving skills against others.
    At least if driving skills is supposed to say something of how good/bad you would be in a "real" virtual race.

Be aware that personally Im doing very good on AMS2s simple TT LBs - but admit that Im beginning to feel that a more advanced TT format could be better to compare ones driving skills to others.;)

The problem with AMS2s simple format is that it is completely irrelevant how unsafe, risky and unsafe you are driving. :rolleyes:
    Because you can just restart the lap when you make a unlegal error.
    And you can repeat this re-re-restart proces until you suddenly (maybe) is able to complete 1 single full lap.

The missing part in this simple TT format is that there is nothing in the listed completed lap that does show how consistent you are able to drive fast.:cool:

Is it complicated to solve this consistency problem - and still have a TT competition?
    Absolutely not - and its even easy to both make such a TT competition much more exciting - and at the same time for the first time also reveal the drivers "real" driving skills.;)

You just have to look at iRacing where their official TT competition does demand that you are able to drive 4-6 laps in succession(!) without driving errors.
    Every time you make an error (picnic or shortcut) the lap count in the succession are automagically reset to zero.:p
    And first when you succed completing the 4-6 laps then the fastest lap in the succession is listed as your official TT LB lap.
    OBS: The difference 4-6 laps because there are long and short tracks.

In iRacing there is an extra socalled SR(Safety Rating) layer because your SR is impacted(lowered) if you have to much errors before you are able to complete the full succession.
    But AMS2 dont need this - at least for now - because a more advanced TT format than the existing simple one does function great without any new Safety Rating.;)

ByTheWay: If Reiza accepted this more "racing skills near" TT format then it could be interesting to see how many of the existing LB hotlappers (like me :D) is able to transfer themselves to the more race near and advanced TT format. ;)

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Oh man my bad mental mem block from my iRacing days shows up again.:mad:
    When iRacing does calculate your official TT laptime its the AVERAGED laptime of the whole 4-6 laps succession .
    So not much chance for a hysterical hotlapper :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

So like this could make LBing more fun and rewarding.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Haha "LBing"!! - good one :p
    Yeah Im advocating this because I can remember from iRacing that its both a lot more challenging in this format - but it was also more common that it was the same drivers who were dominating in MP races that was topping the TT LB lists.
    Not some young gamer kids who only used it as some kind of 1st person shooter.:D
    Joking slightly ;)

5. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I was just thinking of the Nordschleife. Doing 4 laps in TT mode without making any mistakes. o_OThat's a challenge for me. Driving for almost 30 minutes flat out, but hey, it's different.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Haha good input @Wilfred de Ruijter.
    Because you are right there is a few tracks where this would be pretty "uncomfortable".:D
    But no reason to exaggerate the problem - because such looong tracks could just be excluded from this more advanced TT format.
    Haha how about a future Mille Miglia track?:rolleyes:

ByTheWay: Since I aborted my iRacing membership they have got the reasonably long LeMans track - and I honestly dont know how they cope with that in their similiar to my proposal format.
    Hehe but mandatory 4 laps on the combi Nurb+Northschleife - no way:p

7. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

It would be interesting to see what it would do to overall lap times posted, I imagine times would go down slightly.

I like the idea, though it would certainly impact me - my current skill level requires some good luck too:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

@Magnus Yeah.
    I can remember that I often had a single extremely fast (relative :p) lap between the 4-6 more "reasonable" laps. And it "pissed me" slightly off that this lap was averaged down to the others.
    But the other way around then I often here in AMS2 with this simple single lap format feels Yes I was fast but 90% of the laptime was pure luck.
    Thats not so satisfying :(

9. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

I really like this idea--I think I would participate a lot (although I wouldn't rank that high just as I don't rank high in the hot lap format :)). I am more interested in trying to nail, say, turn 3 at the Red Bull Ring several times as opposed to just once.

I also see it as kind of bridging the gap a little more between SP and MP modes. You could setup several virtual races over the entire weekend where the winner is the best person to get the best time in a particular car/track/weather combination.

One suggested revision--instead of basing it on the number of laps, base the overall leaderboard on time--say 10 minutes. That solves the track length problem.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Thats not a bad idea - its the opposite: its great.:D
    Why didnt I think of that answering Wilfred?
    The only minor issue with that is if you would be allowed/forced to complete the lap when the timing runs out.
    But as long as the needed laps on normal tracks (length-wize) ends up as about 4-6 laps then Im all in.
    Because the point is to get out of the short gamish (IMO) point-n-shoot 1 single lap we have now .

ByTheWay: Eventhough I personally probably also will drop down the LB lists - then I can remember from iR that the satisfaction positioning yourself on the list among likewise skilled people is much better.

11. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

I just reread your comment/proposal - and yes this could be some kind of new "live" competition between MP and SP.
    I have by accident experienced this "live" thing a few times when I struggled to up my laptime on one of the existing TT LBs.
    Because suddenly when I succeded to beat a ghost just above me on the LB and then exitted the session to check my new position on the LB - then the guy I had beaten had by accident also upped his laptime at the same time :eek:
    A strange feeling because eventhough I thought - What? What? - then I also felt that I suddenly had a common "live" competition with someone out there in the real world:D

12. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

They've got bigger fish to fry, but when they get around to the whitebait, then a hotstint leader board would give you pretty much what you're wanting, and you could have a 15 minute one and a half hour one, or whatever.

13. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Yeah whatever.
    Thanks for your valuable input :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@BrunoB your idea is quite good but I also would prefer TT under wet or night conditions.

15. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

@alink Im absolutely not against such further enhancements of the TT format - BUT BUT to even get Reiza to include the mentioned 4-6 AVG laps (or timed) format would need that they allocate some dev resources to it.
    So I dont think its very productive to come up with further I want this and I want ALSO that even before one from the team has even reacted to the idea.
    By saying Great idea or even No way.
    Do you hear me @Renato Simioni :D

ByTheWay: Im a bit afraid that this thread could regress to some - Cant we find a hair in the soup?

16. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just mean, the idea to expand TT is really good, and maybe this thread should be used to collect different ideas what could be implemented in future.
    Having different TT modes, like yours, I call it 'regularity-challenge' or like my thinkings of TT in wet / aquaplaning (snow??), or TT at night,....

17. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Yeah I hear you.
    But I just think that instead of posting a lot of fancy (and some even realistic) ideas of all the different TT formats we could just imagine - then its my guess that there is maybe a tiny chance for like 1 new mode like the one I proposes to be implemented by Reiza.
    In a (somewhat) near future.
    I dont think its because Reiza dont care about changing AMS2s simple TT format to a better one - but just because they have a lot of priorities at the moment.

ByTheWay: To be honest I absolutely dont believe that the Reiza guys use their time to travel through the tons of posts in threads like All the urgent changes we want in AMS2 or the other one All the not so urgent changes we also want in AMS2. :rolleyes:
    Hehe neither do I. I dont want to waste so much time reading up something that is more or less outpouring fantasy.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I could get into an iRacing style multiple lap leaderboard AND a single lap leaderboard for TT mode.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Yeah I guess they have added the simple gamer-ish TT format side by side the more advanced since I aborted my membership.

ByTheWay: I was almost virtually killed in iRacings forum because I proposed that it should be mandatory before you was allowed to participate in the weekly official MP races that you had succeded at least one of the TT multi laps sessions. The hostile resistance happened probably because some of the more point-and-shoot MP members would not be able to carry out a TT session.:rolleyes:

20. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Having 4-6 lap TTs would be good if we could also use the ghosts to race against, instead of just a single lap ghost. If you could download say 10 ghosts all doing 6 laps of any car/track combo, that could be a reasonable alternative to trying to find people online to race the car/track combo you want to race, which is usually pretty tough unless you want GT3 at Imola.

OK, racing against ghost laps isn't the same as real racing against people, but at least you won't suffer the usual lap 1 carnage, and at least half the field won't have quit before the end.

• Creative Creative x 1