1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just tried 4.2.1 and most of the weird, to me, behavior has gone. Was only a quick attempt at a couple of cars to get an idea. More testing tomorrow when I have more time.

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  2. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm having an odd bug in 4.2.1

Normally when the rears loose grip through a turn and I’m spinning the rear tires I get the normal feel of grip loss through the FFB which also makes the steering light. But every now and then once the rears regain traction the lightness and grip loss feel does not go away. So, I keep feeling the light steering and the sense that the rear tires are spinning constantly even though they have regained full traction. For me to get it to reset I need to break the rears free again on the next turn and then once the rears regain traction the lightness of grip loss is gone along with the feeling that the rear tires are still spinning, and everything is back to normal FFB.

It has only happened a few times through about 3 different 10 min races.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Thank you mdecker!
    Will post a fixed version later today, I hope :)

4. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey @Karsten Hvidberg, I did a first long test on 4.2.1 ... the right term is "fascinated by it" ... so let's summarize the feelings:
    - the car understood as structure, frame, suspension and weight, you feel great and you have the perfect feeling of where to place it and how it reacts to any redundancies, the corrections on it are spectacular;
    - the wheels feel very different from before, everything is now softer, less accentuated and less rigid, but everything is present, the work of the rubber, the angle, the sealing point, maybe some may not like it but I have to say that I do not mind at all, because this sensation added to the previous one creates a harmony that is very pleasant to me;
    - the whole file is more balanced and I was able to use high GAIN, LFB and TF / TR without having to make big changes to the center_relax, the damper sign that already in stock mode the file is very well balanced and in fact this time I do not consider it necessary change this line too: "(force_scale (* 1.7 (/ 0.22 centering)))";
    - the new "slip_crossover" curve feels gorgeous;
    - I also share and feel the presence of the anomaly highlighted by @mdecker79 "every now and then once the rears regain traction the lightness and grip loss feel does not go away".

Great job guys but considering the possible fix, I'll wait for the next version before publishing my tuning ... I'm happy ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Panos Schoino

Panos Schoino New Member

I am not sure this is an anomaly per se. This is probably related to the overall grip loss feel (lightness of the wheel) that was increased in this file. We have noticed it as well and been working with Karsten yesterday to balance it, so as he already mentioned it should hopefully be fixed later today.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Bringing the center full blend value of (* lfb_slider 4) back to 2 , gets the Lfb slider in game back into my range better I think . From then on applying similar previous tune values seems to be reacting more to my liking.

7. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Good to know ;) ... indeed it is better that it is not a bug but only a need for tuning :) ... just for clarity I am referring only to the aspect of the lightness of the steering wheel only in case of loss of grip ... not at the level general of the steering wheel which instead I find very well balanced and that in fact in this last configuration I really like and allows me to use very high values in play without clipping and / or excessive jolts ;)

8. Karsten Hvidberg

rFuktor 4.3, high end file.

Thanks to @Shadak & @Panos Schoino we have a new fixed & finer tuned file.

* Fixed grip loss calculations to be fully stable.
    * Fixed grip loss to not go as light as soon on normal and lateral grip loss.
    * Completely new tear effect replaces old one.
    * Scrub effect heavily modified.
    * Fixed vibrations after oversteer.
    * Improved Karts.

Hopefully this version is good enough that I can now find the time and upgrade that 1st post.
    I will do that when the various files are posted, so will just copy the info to that 1st post as we did a little while ago. It's long overdue now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. The One Demon

The One Demon New Member

Awesome work! Just keeps getting better!

Does anyone have recommended settings for the newer rFuktor high end files for Simucube 2 Pro? Both True Drive and in-game settings? Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I believe these are the True Drive settings being used with these files on a Simucube 2, but I don't know what the in-game settings are these days. @Karsten Hvidberg @Panos Schoino , what in-game settings do you suggest as a baseline?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Great Ape

Great Ape Member

I think this is just about the one for me, may have a play with some of the variables but I'm getting what I need from the wheel.

Can't see me moving on from this one, quite happy; thanks again to all of you for these tweaks.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kuku Maddog

it takes awhile and a quite a few laps to get used to the new tire feel. but once you do , it becomes normal and tuning seems to be going in the same direction as before.

it’s also prompted me to explore my lfb and power steer settings in game and with the lfb and trail scale multiplier equal in file (2) as mentioned earlier, im finding higher lfb and low power steer more accurate and responsive.

Just have a little more fine tuning to do but it will be very close to my last tune.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Panos Schoino

Panos Schoino New Member

This is very close but i actually (and Karsten) use these ones so better use them
    [​IMG]

My ingame settings are:
    Gain 30-40 (for karts something between 40-45) but depends on car and preference
    LFB 5-15 - mostly i put it at 10 and leave it there, but i suggest to play with with it in case in any particluar car you think something is off
    FX 30
    Damping: 5-10, mostly i use 10. Again play with this to find the right balance for each car together with the gain to find the right balance for you

• Informative Informative x 3
  14. Karsten Hvidberg

Hmm, there's only really 1 thing left that I miss in this file now... Not even sure it will be an improvement.
    Anybody missing anything obvious?

15. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Hmm. There must be a serious fundamental flaw somewhere in the file, I’m afraid, as I still appear to be slower than everyone else. Get back to work.

• Funny Funny x 8
  16. Kuku Maddog

im just about dialed in , I do feel there’s some improvement in understeer slip timing to be had. .
    But I’m hopeless with graph, so just trying different incremental changes.

17. Great Ape

Great Ape Member

No pretty sound man, I can even save an oversteer now.

I'm still finding that I get a better feel setting up the wheel (CSL PS4) at 900, and changing the SEN setting down for some cars; custom DoR per car would sort that.

It's a good job dude :)

EDIT oh and the setups are still awful :D

18. Karsten Hvidberg

For the understeer slip timing it could be a simple adjustment of "long_factor" down in the file.
    The higher you set it, the sooner it gives sense of understeer.
    The lower, the later.

19. Kuku Maddog

I think I'm reasonably happy with this tune.
    Its got weight but not overpowering. I am running most cars at 100% in game and getting consistency .
    its taken some trails to work out the blend of Lfb slider required . as file default doesn't seem to be able to keep up with rotation or something or my wheel base doesn't .
    This tune has a bit more rubber feel to tires including kerbs,
    I think it helps bring in more front feel.
    Settings are in file header, but main change in set up is higher Lfb and lower damping ( powersteer)
    70/60-65/25-30/10

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  20. Karsten Hvidberg

rFuktor 4.4.

Last missing feature to come to mind added + extra spice on top.

* Rear tyres bump feel, adjustable by "rear_bump_scale" & "rear_bump_hard". If you don't want it, just set scale to 0.0, also for karts.
    * Karts further adjusted by @Panos Schoino.

File is otherwise 100% same as rFuktor 4.3, so any change can be just copied over.

@Stakanov @Kuku Maddog @Peter Stefani and everybody else that posts a file: When you post, also let me know if it is to be put in that 1st post. As said earlier I will clean that up and post only the latest editions.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8