1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bag of cement in the boot?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Glyn Goold, May 17, 2021.

1. Glyn Goold

Glyn Goold Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it just me or do most of the cars in AMS2 feel like there's a weight in the boot? For example, driving the 2020 Stock Car at Interlagos I get terrible understeer then turn a bit more and the backend starts to break grip. Another example, the Caterhams are virtually impossible for me to drive, anywhere. Formula Extreme, no chance. Maybe there's a problem with my wheel? It never used to be like this, has something changed? I just did a fresh Windows install and haven't fiddled with any settings anywhere and it feels exactly the same as before I reinstalled, understeer then massive oversteer.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't feel the understeer in many cars, but oversteer by turning is a feature you can find in several cars after the last or for-last update, It is hard to describe, but it feels as if the steering-wheel is directly connected to the rear of the car and the car is steering by offsetting the back around a virtual pivot-point somewhere under the hood or a little back.
    Just at the moment I expect extra understeer the extra turning/steering input results in better turn in or sudden oversteer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

These things are usually just something getting corrupt in the settings. Suggest you rebuild your My Documents/AMS2 folder.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Try a simple test if it is your wheel - or if it is something changed in the game.
    Select a car/track you knows well and then run some laps with the coast setting minimised - and then afterwards with the same setup maximise the coast.
    What happens with your "weight in the boot"?
    Does it change?

5. Glyn Goold

Yes I agree that it feels like the rear wheels are steering, not the front. It feels a bit like supermarket trolley with the front wheels fixed straight ahead, hence the poor initial turn-in. I just tried the F3 at Interlagos and it's very easy for the rear of the car slide in Turn 3 making it difficult to power through the corner, yet AI cars seem to have good traction.

6. Glyn Goold

I just ran some laps at Interlagos in the F3. I tried with COAST set to minimum 25, then to maximum 79 but there was still the same problem with poor turn-in and loose rear of the car. It's very frustrating, I feel like the car is balanced on a knife edge between understeer and oversteer.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Glyn Goold

I did a fresh reinstall of Windows and reinstalled AMS2 so this folder should be like brand new.

8. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

Exactly - but I'd disagree with the comment about it being since the last update.
    In my opinion - a lot of the prototypes and open wheelers have had a tendency to have oversteer built into their handling, using the default setups.
    I tend to have to put effort into testing and tweaking, to try and get the car back to what feels like a more balanced setup. Enough people seem to like the defaults, based on sessions having enforced default setups, that it's obvious there's a large degree of personal preference involved.

@Glyn Goold - in terms of the F3 (specifically the 309, 6 speed model) at Interlagos - try the attached suspension settings as a starting point and then tweak from there. You should find they are more neutral than the defaults.
    Ams2 F3 309 Interlagos 2 cropped.jpg
    I run the differential ramps in this car at the max of 89 degrees with a pretty low preload. Longitudinal weight distribution is set to 44/56.
    Note my steering lock is set to full, which might catch you out. I like having the full range as it makes correcting slides easier for me, but each to their own.
    See if those settings make a difference. If not - just revert back to what you're currently using, or the defaults and adjust things until you find the right sort of balance.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I am not sure if these people use driving aids, i don't
    And I am not sure if it was the latest update, but it has been good.
    And it is not just the default setups, I can't dial out my problems with any custom setup.
    Something is changed in the physics not to my liking in the resent past, causing this unstable behavior

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. azaris

There have been no global physics changes since months. It is simply not possible that the physics of all cars were randomly broken by the last update and nobody else noticed. It is something to do with your system, and nothing to do with default setups or driving aids.

This happens every single update. Someone complains that suddenly all the physics are totally broken, cars are undriveable, no grip etc. It is usually fixed by some combination of re-downloading corrupted files on Steam, rebuilding the My Documents/AMS2 folder, rebinding controls, or upgrading/downgrading your wheelbase firmware.

11. Glyn Goold

Thanks for the setup, the F3 definitely feels more tied down at the back and is more driveable. I wouldn't know where to start changing suspension settings but it's made a difference. Thanks again for your efforts.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Glyn Goold

The reason I just reinstalled everything is precisely because something somewhere has changed and for me there are a lot of cars that simply don't drive as they did previously. Whether it's in the game or maybe a Windows glitch or new driver, who knows. Nothing in my PC has changed physically so it can only be a software issue. That's why I'm on the forum trying to find a solution.

All suggestions gratefully received and appreciated.

13. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

I don't use driver aids, other than auto-clutch and the default setups for most cars frustrate me enough that I just don't join sessions with fixed (default) setups. I don't really see the point in forcing myself to drive something I don't enjoy - but if other people like it, good for them. I understand the perspective of having fixed setups in terms of making the racing closer, but it doesn't really work for me. I don't think I can offer you any advice on narrowing your problem down - sorry.

All good. My advice would be to do some reading on the subject or watch some tutorial videos (there are links on this site as the subject comes up repeatedly) and then do some testing with a car and track combination that you like. Also trying out setups for the Time Trial boards can be useful to understand what you like and don't like with car setups.
    You might find another driver from the TT boards who has a driving style that comes close to suiting you - which can be useful (i.e. fewer adjustments to make to get things dialled in).
    Good luck - it's a learning process.

• Like Like x 2
  14. azaris

A full reinstall of Windows should prevent most issues with deprecated files. Still, I would check file integrity on Steam since people do have issues with file corruption even on relatively fresh installations. Also make sure your My Documents folder is not being replicated from a cloud (OneDrive) or something, that could potentially cause issues to persist even after reinstalling Windows.

Are you using GHub or Logitech Gaming Software with the G920? Was there maybe a recent update to GHub that might break the FFB?

• Like Like x 1
  15. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

I agree somewhat with this - but this is something you can feel in many socalled racing sims.:confused:
    My own conclusion is that it has something to do with the fact that even a socalled sim has no wheels and no chassis.
    It has just some more or less "smart" algoritms that try to give the user the impression that he is controlling a device that HAS wheels and chassis.:cool:

So because these algoritms in both the physics and tire model departments is just trying to cheat us to believe in them - then a lot of things can go wrong (or like here slightly wrong) so our brain (or muscle mem) get a weird suspicion of What is happening here?;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I find the GT3 (McLaren) currently possesses this exact property - understeer followed, as you turn the wheel more, by it breaking into a weird sliding oversteer. Hope it gets addressed because the cars with this property are not good to drive. Maybe a decent setup will help.

edit. just tried the 2020 Stock Car at Interlagos with default setup and didn't get that problem, in fact, I actually quite liked it. Although it does have the tendency to oversteer very rapidly when you barely touch the throttle when coming out of a corner, but that may be realistic. I do hope the AI are made to be less perfect in some of the cars though - they are very "on rails" compared to the physics and handling the human is contending with.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Glyn Goold

Done the Steam file check, all OK, OneDrive was deleted before it had chance to screw anything up (I can't stand it). I always used LGS but recently I tried GHub and I think that's when things started to feel strange, so when I formatted and reinstalled I went back to LGS. I'm wondering if any files got screwed up by GHub and somehow affect my new LGS installation??? Do Logitech store stuff in the cloud???

18. azaris

Not that I know of. But GHub can automatically update your firmware, maybe you could check whether this is what caused the issue even after GHub was removed?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Glyn Goold

OK so I've fixed my handling problem and the bag of cement is now out of the boot!

My problems first started when I changed from LGS to GHub, so I reinstalled LGS and it made no difference. A few days ago I updated AMS2 to v1.2 and it was still the same so I was going to abandon AMS2 for a while, then as a last resort I opened LGS and clicked every possible setting and reset to default, then I made the default profile persistant, and finally clicked the firmware update and BINGO, AMS2 felt like it used to feel before I changed to GHub.

I can now attack the track and feel in full control again. I don't know for sure why this worked but it has made a massive difference to the handling.

If anybody else is having problems with weird handling try setting the default profile in LGS as persistent, it worked for me.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. ayrtonforever

ayrtonforever Active Member AMS2 Club Member

the constantly sliding rear is not related to wrong settings, i have it even after deleting all documents AMS2 folder. when you turn in the car star to over rotate at least till apex and there's nothing you can do in setup or in driving style. i wonder how can people like this behavior but looks like most of persons find this natural and likeable. at least judging by comments. i find this so weird and annoying, the whole driving experience gets ruined and it's a shame because other aspects are really great. but the driving experience is after all the core in one sim