1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onboards: AMS2 vs. Real Life

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by CrimsonEminence, May 5, 2021.

1. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, Oulton Park in 1965, that's fantastic!

2. alink

I'm looking forward to get this rollercoaster - the wonderful Corkscrew - my most favourite track back in times with IndyCar Racing...

And hopefully with this layout, too!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Looking at the old layout of Laguna Seca, that exit wall on the final turn is going to collect a lot of paint... :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Adjustable steering lock is one thing, running for example 360 degrees lock to lock on the wheel base instead of 540 (or even more) as I have seen being done in all sims (starting from iracing and ACC) to gain laptime is a whole other level of unrealistic inputs.

5. alink

But I wonder which issue Geoff has with his helmet / visor? One hand on wheel when approching Corkscrew? Respect!
    I'm excited about the fast part between todays Andretti hairpin and T6.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Street Supercars

McLaren F1 LM. I don't know if this is on road tires or slicks.

Ultima GTR 720. More powerful engine than in AMS2, and there has been controversy on whether or not this was on road tires. While there are other videos of the 640 spec on road tires, I haven't found any decent quality ones where the car is driven on the limit, hence this video instead.

2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE. Not the same car as in AMS2, which is the 2018 Camaro SS (not 1LE). If someone can share relevant video where the correct car is driven on the limit on a track, I will edit out this video so that one can be used as reference instead. Also, the helmet cam is too low during half of the lap, which is a shame.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Sticking to the OP ref vids
    possibility for us as a community to compare real life recordings of onboard laps with simililar car-track combos in Automobilista 2 and giving the possibility to recreate these

Caterham at Oulton.
    Could have done side by side twin screen but Remco intro was interesting. So uncut
    (you could of course start both vids at the same time when he finishes talking &
    Run both in sync)
    When watching both in sync its rather pleasant at start. yet its difficult to find a RL alien vid for rest of race!
    AMS2 Remco Hitman @ 120/100 ai
    Real life: Driver is on Toyo R888R tyres, where as before he was racing on the Avon ZZS tyre. The spec of Caterham is a 310R. Epic first race of the 2021 season. Taking part in the Toyo 7 Race Series at Oulton Park.

@Renato Simioni ! ai tweek at Max for consideration?
    could use a boost for all settings above 115 skill .?? From previous post
    Or possibly from 110-120 a steeper increment scale

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

I'd love to see a fixed wheel rotation per car with only limited adjustability, like raceroom.
    So no matter what your wheel is set at you cant drop below 900 or 1to1 with the car, with an adjustable DOR in the car for certain tracks, but not much more than a few degrees.
    Also driving the car with a stupidly fast DOR just takes away the realism IMO.
    For me this is a bigger issue in the madness engine than other sims.
    Its basically braking the physics of the car.
    With 900 the car could be stable and very good to drive, where using say 360 etc could make the car very unstable and twitchy as hell.
    I'm sure something could be put into the software of the game.

9. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

But that's also a thing, most tire models still seem to have the most problems with, to get it right. Steering transmission and the response from the tire are all over the place until today for basically all sims out there. This is not really a "realism" feature right now, because it is not realisically working in the first place.

10. Ettore

Totally agree, although it is common trick to most of the sims. I would love to see a sim that rules out silly steering wheel settings that would be absolutely nuts in real life.

11. Maser V6

@Simmo99x @CrimsonEminence @Ettore.
    Just a general Q. (yes i agree with your comments)
    So This has been discussed several times as we all know, (hi Simmo I recall that specific track grip thing a while ago), and im sure some are still confused, also there are different ways to set dor in game
    So I set my lock to lock at 900 in panel(logitec) ), then in game what do you set yours calibration wise for the game to automatically give accurate dor for each vehicle?. ie I take an f1 modern and run at hockenheim then next race go to Monaco and want to get round hairpin.
    Thanks

12. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Most wheels allow you to set your DOR to be whatever you want outside of AMS2, how is the game going to police that? Disable multiplayer unless your DOR is at least 540 degrees? Kick you from the lobby if your wheel inputs are deemed "too fast"?

This is in the same vein as people demanding that it be impossible to turn off FFB or dictate that FFB must have some minimum gain, because driving with minimal FFB gain is "unrealistic" and confers some kind of competitive advantage. It's not gonna happen.

13. CrimsonEminence

I always use the correct degrees of rotation, the car actually has and all my sims are also set, to do it automatically. (exceptions are cars that have over 900° of course, where you have to take compromises, which is pretty rare amongst race cars, though and more a thing for road vehicles, i think the F40 actually has a lot more steering degrees, than 900°, if i recall correctly, for example)

BUT: I sometimes increase/decrease steering ratio, because simulations vary with their way of translating steering speed to the "simulated reality". (Steering lock setting in the setup.)

For example the BMW M1 Pro Car or F-Retro in AMS2 really don't like their values from 20-22°, so i usually increase them 1-2 degrees (a bit more for the M1), to give more steering authority. Especially, the BMW M1 is a bit pessimistic with its response. It's not like this car is ultra-responsive to begin with, when looking at onboards, but in AMS2 it's a bit "under-evolved" and needs hairpin lock in faster corners in defaults sometimes, to be fast or using the fronts to their sufficient range.

Or the FR-X17 in R3E, which leaves SO MUCH steering ability on the table, when going with the default steering ratio instead of increasing it.

Monaco sometimes needs the clutch in the Grand Hotel Hairpin and making the steering ratio faster is totally legit on this track anyway.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. alink

This is one track which would fit to AMS because it is something special and unique. There was a great track for GPL which I liked very much, so having this in AMS would be a great thing.
    The car which takes around the track is a F-Mazda, but similar to the F-Trainer which are in AMS, just without wings like the F-Mazda. What I like in this video is, beside the track, the high amount of suspension travel which (visual) simulation I'm still missing in AMS

Or with F-Vee

Pacific Raceways
    Pacific.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  15. Maser V6

Thanks Crimson, when it comes to in game calibration degrees is more specifically what I meant (sry) ie ams calibration 360 /420 550 ----- . 900 in panel and 900 in ams calibration?
    Think Remco vid compared to RL are good? dor wise

16. CrimsonEminence

My wheel uses automatic DOR in its own settings and i calibrate it with its full DOR, so 900° in AMS2. For my G27, i would use 900° in panel with allowing the game to make changes. Then also calibrate it to the 900°, of course.

Btw. 120 AI at Oulton could be actually not as fast, as it should be...the tight cornered tracks in AMS2 often have slower AI.
    In terms of steering rotation, no idea hwo accurate it might be or not be in the video, but the "working" on the wheel looks Caterham like.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ettore

Yes I think it should not be allowed to set a DOF smaller than a certain value based on what the wheel is designed for. The specs of each wheel are known. So if you set it to 540 or 360 instead of 900 the game will still consider it is 900. So the trick of driving with (almost) no FFB and turning the steering wheel by + or - 45 degrees even in the hairpins to gain laptime will not work.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Maser V6

Great thanks for confirm

Agreed hence tag to RS I have had it on not so tight as well, on odd occasion/track dry

19. Simmo99x

Simmo99x Active Member

Yeah I always calibrate to 900, then adjust depending on the car to give 90 degree max steering angle input in the hairpins.

In raceroom it seens once you calibrate to 900 no matter how low your DOR the game only gives you a max or min value set to the car itself, then in setup you can tweek slightly depending on the track/steering rack.
    Which I think is a very good system.

Where in AMS2 you can go say 240 and turn up sensitivity to max, which is a skill to drive, but can be used to manipulate the cars physics.

20. Ettore

In iracing I set it to 360 and gained many seconds manipulating physics the same way. ACC I have not done a lot but I have seen people driving the bus stop at Spa with 45 degrees of wheel input...