1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 SteamVR ReShade [OpenVR Only]

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, Apr 17, 2021.

1. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

The latest updates by the ReShade devs and fholger to get ReShade working on many SteamVR titles got a lot of people excited and results were very good where it worked. Unfortunately it wasn't working for AMS2 so I did some debugging and hacked together support for AMS2 (and possibly PC2 as well).

This is in no way an official build (Don't complain to them if it doesn't work or breaks anything) and I am not affiliated with the ReShade project. The code has been submitted to their git repo so hopefully there will be better support for when an official VR release is done, but that appears to be some time away currently.

The version provided here is an early alpha release that merges the latest git reshade code with fholgers VR updates and my AMS2 fixes. As such it should be treated with care and may break things. You have been warned!

One issue I've noticed is that once you exit AMS2 you'll need to restart SteamVR to be able to play another VR game.

I've included a few shaders that seem to be promising - CAS / SMAA / FXAA. There is no depth buffer support in this build so depth related effects in SMAA or other shaders can't be used. Have a look at fholgers comments on how to configure CAS with the foveated parameter.

A combination of CAS with SMAA and low MSAA seems to work fairly well for me. This will probably depend on how how you have sharpening in graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml.

You can toggle the effects using the END key, and access the ReShade interface on the monitor using the HOME key.

To install it unzip the package to Steam\steamapps\common\Automobilista 2\

Package can be found here.

It should work for some of the colour mods that have been written for normal ReShade versions too. Your mileage may vary with this but hopefully some will find it useful.

ETA: I think it might be better for me on Reverb G2 with SteamVR at 50%, game MSAA high, no reshade SMAA or FXAA, and CAS with sharpness around 2.0.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Jean-Yves Mercy

Jean-Yves Mercy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

hello Nuscorpii,
    I tried with my Pimax, but the game crashes as soon as the track loads.
    Is it because the G2 uses Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR?

3. NuScorpii

It should work for all SteamVR headsets but it may be an issue where the screens are not coplanar.

One thing you could try is to disable the effects before loading a track by pressing the End key. Make sure that it is disabled in the ReShade GUI by pressing Home:

upload_2021-4-18_11-27-33.png

Then press Home again to get rid of the GUI and try loading a track. If that works then try this:
    • Exit the track
    • Press Home again to bring up the ReShade GUI
    • Enable effects by pressing End
    • Select only the CAS effect
    • Uncheck Performance Mode at the bottom
    • In the VR_CAS_Color.fx settings panel uncheck Single Image for Both Eyes
    upload_2021-4-18_11-33-42.png

Then try launching a track again.

4. Jean-Yves Mercy

Jean-Yves Mercy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

thank you,
    I tried, but it doesn't work, even with the effects turned off, I have a crash as the track loads.

However, I also tried your settings, deactivate performance mode, CAS only, etc ... and I started a track having reactivated Reshade, but it's the same, it crashes.

5. Frank Alexandre

Frank Alexandre Member AMS2 Club Member

Does anyone managed to get it working with a Rift/Quest2? I have reshade now with ACC, AC and RF2, all working ok, but with AMS2 i can see the changes only in the monitor, nothing at the VR.

6. Retrolux

Retrolux Member AMS2 Club Member

You need to name the reshade dll to opengl32.dll instead to the usual dxgi.dll to get it to work as @NuScorpii worked out together with a fix he applied for reshade. You also need to use the steamVR version to launch the VR mode. The oculus version will not work.

You could also try to use the vrtoolkit to get it working as it contains an early build of latest source from reshade. If you see the reshade icon in the steamvr dashboard then it is active. Retrolux / Reshade VRToolkit · GitLab

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frank Alexandre

I tried both, the file from op and your vrtoolkit. Yes, im using SteamVR, with Oculus it will not appear even on monitors.

8. NuScorpii

I was just going to post a link to your GitLab as it's got the latest updates for ReShade etc, good job!

• Like Like x 1
  9. NuScorpii

Are you sure it's not working at all? When you change the values on the monitor ReShade GUI it won't apply them to the game, you need to quit and come back in. Try putting some maximum values in the CAS version for contrast and sharpening. It should be really obvious then if it is applied. Or add in the colour option and change those values. Then restart AMS and see if it is applied.

If you use the new VR interface available through the SteamVR popup then you need to disable performance mode, make the changes to the values, and then reenable performance mode to apply them.

10. Frank Alexandre

Yeah, i changed the brightness to minimum, everything is dark on the monitors, unchange on VR.

11. Frank Alexandre

Now i can see why it isnt working. The game is running in Oculus mode even when i select to start in SteamVR mode. :(

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  12. NuScorpii

When I had a Rift there was a way to force it to run in SteamVR, forgot how I did it now though. Might have been through OTT. In the latest Oculus beta there is a OpenXR runtime that you can use in SteamVR that means that there is hardly any performance loss now compared to native. Used to be pretty big performance loss when you forced it to use SteamVR.

Few more details here:
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...s-maybe-works-to-rift-too.69359/#post-1195694

• Like Like x 1
  13. Frank Alexandre

I am the OP from that post. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Frank Alexandre

I can force SteamVR to AMS2 changing the exe properties to "win7 compatibility", but when SteamVR starts it says "hmd not detected". :(

15. NuScorpii

Found what I used to force the Rift to use SteamVR mode for PC2 and AMS2:

OVR Advanced Settings on Steam

And in there select force SteamVR

16. Frank Alexandre

Thanks, but unfortunately didnt work. I see the AMS start next screen than the game crash with that BUG splash screen.

17. Frank Alexandre

Well, doesnt work with public version, but works fine with AMS2 beta. Reshade works fine now...but the performance at SteamVR is awfull....unplayable with the same settings i use in oculus mode.

18. Retrolux

Dont you get that option when starting AMS2 throgh desktop steam?
    upload_2021-6-7_18-1-18.png

as far i could find out you can override what VR mode you want inside of steam as launch option:

-vrmode SteamVR
    -vrmode Oculus

Test it out it might work for you.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  19. Frank Alexandre

Yeah, but game start in Oculus mode even selecting SteamVR option.

20. Retrolux

Hmm how annoying :( One more thing you can try but might result into the same issue.

Add a shortcut to desktop:
    upload_2021-6-7_19-1-51.png

Change the created shortcut URL from
    steam://rungameid/1066890
    to
    steam://launch/1066890/vr

• Like Like x 1