1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Real Weather Report Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Please use this topic to report any major discrepancies you happen to find while running the Real Weather option in terms of cloud formation and precipitation relative to what can be verified to be the case in the chosen location; likewise if you find historical weather data for one of the locations widely differs from what you have references of what the actual weather was in that location in a given day and time (from an old race video for example), please also use this topic to report with the date, time and reference you have.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Paul Cohen

Paul Cohen Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What would be really useful when you change the date/time is to have a reference to the sunrise/sunset for that date/location as well. It would make fine tuning an event when you want to transition from night to day or vice versa so much easier. At the moment it's a crapshoot trying to pick the right time.

I did notice a nice thing that the sunrise/sunset is changing correctly with the date, which you can test by keeping the same time 16:00 and just changing the month at Spielberg (say from 28/09/2021 to 28/12/2021). Showing that sunset/sunrise time on the UI when you are changing the time would be really helpful. I liked the light mist that appeared just above the track in Dec.

>>With the option to customize event date, users can now also customize the season the event will be run under.

Where is the Season option? I could only see changing the date, but the season was changing with the date. Or is that what is meant by having the option to change season with date? It would be handy to show the season for a selected dat well, given the tracks are global.

I think it would also be useful to show the Track temp and ambient track temps as well for the selected date/track combo.

So to summarise, helpful weather info to show on the event configuration screen, so you can reference when changing the date/time:
    . Sunrise/Sunset time
    . Season
    . Ambient/track temps

ps: sorry, I may have posted this in the wrong thread.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Renato Simioni

Topic temporarily closed as the feature will no longer be included in our March update - will be reopened in the coming weeks :)

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Renato Simioni

Reopening this topic with the onset of Real Weather with historical data for all major locations in the game being reintroduced in v1.1.5.5.

The historical data is not particularly reliable depending on how far back it goes and the location, but we can edit the database to better match what was seen on the race track at any given day - so if you spot a day and time where weather conditions in the game differ from what it was in reality, please report with as much reference as you can, specifying the time and date where the weather is off; illustrating it with videos, pictures and reports of the session / race in question is also very welcome (we´re particularly interested in ensuring famous races or sessions from any given series on any givcen track has the correct historical weather).

• Like Like x 8
  6. CaptainParallax

CaptainParallax Metalmoro AJR fanboy AMS2 Club Member

Silverstone 2008 springs to mind, July 6. I did a test session at 14:00 track time and while in-game the track was damp and the car was recommended wet tyres, it wasn't actively raining and the track was ready for slicks after a few laps. This was with the Formula Reiza.

Race highlights

I've also attempted Spa 1998 but as per the changelog, Spa hasn't had historical data applied to it yet

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. MrRandom287

MrRandom287 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Out of curiosity, is the historical weather based on local time or GMT?

8. Renato Simioni

Always local time.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Lorencini

Lorencini Luciano Lorencini AMS2 Club Member

Suppose this scenario:

25 minute race at a predefined date (say, may 1st 2021).

Race starts at 8:00 AM, time progression set to 60x (so, a 24h full cicle will happen, and each minute will be 1 hour).

What's gonna happen to the dynamic weather?

1 - there will be just one weather slot (since the race has only 25min and the slots are hourly based)

2 - there will be 25 weather slots, one per minute, due to the time progression setting, spanning though may 1st at 8:00 am to may 2nd at 9:00 am

Regards!

10. MrRandom287

MrRandom287 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

If I understand this correctly is would be the 2nd scenario.

11. ayrtonforever

ayrtonforever Active Member AMS2 Club Member

setting custom dates to january trees still have leaves, shouldn't they be without them in winter? am I doing something wrong?

12. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I guess it depends on the trees! I noticed Spa had a bit of both, leaves and no leaves. Ever green will never fall off.

It also depends on the track. North or south hemisphere?

And finally, I think the current build works on a few tracks only. We better check the patch notes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ayrtonforever

sorry, i forgot to mention: Nordschleife, not evergreen trees as far i can see

14. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep, the trees are green at the end of Dec. No snow either like Spa. It seems seasons are still to be added to Nords?

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Yep, these are all WIP and won't be finished for a while.

16. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Edit: User error!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  17. ayrtonforever

Tried a race at Spa with real weather and custom date June 4 2021, yesterday there was a flood there, eau rouge turned in a river at 6:00 pm. This is what I had in AMS2 at 6:02 pm:

18. Juan Reinoso

Juan Reinoso Doctor SimRacing AMS2 Club Member

Yesterday I was getting heavy fog all day in Nords, while it was raining heavily, using real weather in test day

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Did you try earlier times to see what happened? The rain is often over by the time the flood occurs--it's from an upstream river overflowing or runoff from surrounding territory, not just the rain falling at the moment. Pics and videos of the flood waters flowing that I saw showed it had already stopped raining and was even partly clear in some. The weather in the game is at an hourly resolution...so it may never match reality so perfectly, but there should have been some significant rain at some points in the 24 hours or so before the flood :)

20. Paul Cohen

Paul Cohen Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Session time/weather setup tip:

As there's no sunrise/sunset time indication in AMS2 I looked around for a solution to my "I want to do a session that runs over the sunrise/sunset transition, so I can experience dramatic lighting and weather changes and really enjoy the fantastic graphics while hooning around".

Sunrise and sunset times works great. Just plug in the closest city/region where your track is, the date (day/week/year) and bingo.

Another useful site is Weather History & Data Archive | Weather Underground which will also show you the temperature if you want to try and pull up some snow on real weather.
    I did notice some discrepancies with real weather though. eg:
    Heavy snow disrupts Nurburgring 24 Hours prep date of heavy snowfall was early morning 26/03/2021 but trying that date in game (on Nurburgring not the GP track) just gave fog with only a tiny dusting of snow on the environment. I was expecting a snow dumped environment with clean tracks (still looked great though!).

Even in mid-winter I haven't seen a real snowscape yet.

• Like Like x 1