1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why I don't buy AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Super Nova, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Super Nova

Super Nova Member

Hello everyone !

I come to you first as a friend and because Im interested in your game. After many discussions with friends and Youtubers not understanding why I had not yet bought AMS 2 being a fan of Pcars2 I decided to come here to give my opinion.

Like many, I was interested in AMS2 because I see it as a logical evolution of Pcars2 after the massacre of Pcars3.

First of all, what I didn't like was this general lack of interest of current simulator games for Steam functionality, which is used in 90% of Steam games. I'm mainly talking about Achievements, Badges, Workshop. Im a casual gamer and love simulation. Just because you like achievements doesn't mean you're an arcade player. I like the achievements because it pushes the player to go where he would not have been and to have goals to achieve. Badges are also great to display when you like a game and are a great advertisement for your Steam friends. And of course the workshop for mods or skins which is a great feature. I note that the simulations dont exploit what is the strength of Steam.

Major now then its the absence of a Career mode, statistics / challenges ...Many essential cars for endurance: lmp1 hybrid and lmp2. Iconic tracks like Le Mans.
    But above all a modern multiplayer with ranking/ safety like Raceroom.
    A popular Sim isn't just about ffb / physics, it's a collection of things.

I realize that you are a small studio but I think you can achieve this and I hope so because many think that you have huge potential in the market and that its improving all the time.

I would also like to share the link of 2 French youtubers who speak very positively about your game and who push the community to buy it. Getting closer to these YouTubers would be very positive for you. I specify that I have no connection with them.

Here are the links:

Thank you and give your opinion;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

This one is actually planned, as also described in the game description, but it will still take some time.^^

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. YZAKY

YZAKY New Member

why i bought ams2 from early access.

Because it is by far the best simracing experience in vr.

Because the game is constantly evolving and in a good way and I'm part of the hype train with every new content announcement.

Because a race in ams2 is always a good time with a constantly evolving AI and above all a constant work of the development team to improve it.

And especially because ams2 is a unique game, with unique cars and unique tracks that you can't find anywhere else.
    it's a breath of fresh air that feels good in the world of sim racing.

And that I am aware that the rights of certain circuits must be overpriced and have undoubtedly had to evolve since the time of Pc2.

I am also French and I trust Reiza to release a French pack with Le Mans, Paul Ricard and Magny-cours and therefore inevitably a clio cup! :whistle::whistle::p

In the meantime, I'm back on the hype train!:D

• Like Like x 3
  4. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it necessary to have another annoying dicussion why / why not to buy / use AMS2?
    I don't think so.
    If someone does not like it or has problems with AMS2, nobody is forced to use it.
    But I think these discussions are redundant.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

I think the OP have every right to post his thoughts. He's not braking any forum rules. If you don't like it ignore it, simples.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

That's mainly because sims don't operate on that level - and I'm gonna be bold here - for most people. People are more into sims for the driving/racing that to collect internet points, that's why Steam integration is, imo rightfully so, not a point of priority. Let me explain my point of view according to my experience in the commuity, but let me preface this by saying that I'm not writing this to explain how you do sims wrong :) If you want certain things from a sim and in this case AMS2 doesn't have those, you're entitled to your opinion and it's alright to not spend money.

In simplified terms, sims are usually played by people who want to experience an accurate representation of a track, a car, a series. Experiencing the handling of a car, and it's sublte nuances, how it reacts to inputs and changes to setup. Experiencing how a track is built, how the corners flow and finding out which parts to keep away from. Experiencing a series, with all it's rules and regulations, building a race weekend after something you just watched and driving it for yourself, offline against AI or online against other people.

Judging from my experience, most people I believe are in sims for that, not for the Steam integration. This is not meant to detract from people enjoying achivement hunting! Assetto Corsa has Steam achievements, but nobody ever really talked about them in the seven years since it came out. I can only remember one thread on the official forums where people compared their achievement points. Same with badges.

Workshop integration is fine for mods and has its positives, but also its negatives. I like the ease of use and the automatic upgrades, but I've also lost several rF2 mods over the years due to them being removed from the Workshop and therefore my game without any notice being given.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Super Nova

Super Nova Member

I'm not just focusing on Steam features, it's a bundle. This is my point of view and I must not be the only sry ;). Im not coming here to bashing the game. I even feature youtubers that I love who love the game. I present my point of view on what still holds me back from buying the game. It maybe constructive for the developers. This is my approach. If you want more people on a game I think it's important to listen to both sides :)

8. Super Nova

Super Nova Member

it's reductive:(

9. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Sure he isnt "forced" to play the game but I think the general section of the forum is actually exactly for this sort of discussion :) or would you rather only keep people who would never say a bad thing? Thats one way to do itof course...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Sure, I understand that. Like I said, I'm not arguing against your opinions, I'm just explaining why in my opinion/experience Steam features usually aren't a focus in sim racing games.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

I understand how that could be something you might miss, Supernova, but I also wouldn't be surprised if everything you specified will, at some point, be implemented, some steps towards 'career' have already been made.

As others have said, a large chunk of sim. racers just don't see steam integration as a deal breaker, so acheivments might be something that comes later.

Coming here and voicing your opinion is a positive thing to do, it let's Reiza know of the things that some people still feel is lacking, but I would suggest that you reconsider getting the base game despite its flaws, especially now that you can join DLC track servers without needing to own them.

Ultimately, if you enjoy simulators and PC2 especially, I am sure you will find things you love in the game at this point in its development, you can enjoy the game for what it does do well now and continue to ask for the changes you'd like to see here while supporting the devs.

Is it perfect, no, but it is definitely worth the price of the base game so I hope you'll come join the community, there is plenty of fun to be had. In the world of sims I would argue this is already up at the top with PC2 for ease of use to casual racers; RF2 and R3E are much harder to just get racing in especially if you want to host.

Along with the two streamers you love, I also highly recommend it. I think you would likely find that the positives outweigh the negatvies that you've highlighted.

Bottom line, I get your points, but I wouldn't let that be your reason for not experiencing it; watching and feeling are two different things. =)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Super Nova

Super Nova Member

I played a lot at Pcars2 for the reasons mentioned in my first post despite big flaws, now less and less. A little R3E and even the old Race07 from time to time :D. I don't have the time to play as much as before, that's why now I'm thinking more about buying a game. In any case, this DLC is getting a lot of talk, I hope Reiza will be able to capitalize on this great work :)

13. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

1) Steam achievements could easily be integrated into the game - that's a valid suggestion. While I don't really think about getting them - some people like them. I suggest the style used by rFactor 2 would work well in AMS 2 and some people are likely to enjoy earning them. Thumbnail image below.
    Perhaps the developers will consider your suggestion in the future...?

rf2achievements.jpg

2) As already commented - some form of career mode is planned and being developed. I suggest reading the developer updates if you are interested as it gets mentioned periodically (sorry I can't tell you which posts).

3) You commented about Reiza being a small studio, and that directly translates to available resources ($$$), so licensing of cars and tracks is being spread out over the games development cycle. Who knows what cars & tracks will be released. I think most people would be happy to see more cars & tracks (assuming the quality is kept to the same level). Hybrids can be modelled by the game engine - so LMP 1 Hybrids could be added, but it's obviously up to the developers and licensing of Le Mans circuit in particular is allegedly expensive (from what I've read) and may be effected by Motorsport Games (Motorsport Games to Acquire rFactor 2 Developer Studio397 in a $16M Deal – The Esports Observer).

4) As aleady commented - some form of multiplayer ranking/safety system is planned and being developed.

...so most of what you're asking for is either being planned and developed, or quite doable (steam achievements) & LMP hybrids.
    For LMP 2, the game has the Ginetta_G58 (Ginetta G58 - Wikipedia) & recently the Cadillac DPi. Both are very close in specification to LMP 2.

Good post & suggestions :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Super Nova

Super Nova Member

Yes I dont think the Achievements complicated to implement.
    On the other hand the achievs of rfactor2 dont have too much interest.
    For AMS2 I will see more targeted and useful Achievements.
    As for example if they add a safety in multiplayer obtain the maximum safety rank (some players wanting to obtain the success would be obliged to drive clean), or finish 200 online races (to boost the multi), to boost the DLC too (do endurance of 2 hours with a Porsche 911 rsr on laguna seca for example), for the future career mode, finish Career mode with a 120% AI etc ...
    I see Achievements useful for both developers and players.
    The priority isnt that and I understand that but Im convinced that a game with more Steam options sells better.
    I remember that on some games of my Steam friends bought games or dlc to hunt achievs. We must not neglect everything that makes the popularity of Steam and Steam universe. I like all this aspect that enriches a game. Badges also add visibility to a game and money for the developer. The workshop is a great visibility for modders and a great facility for the player.

For hybrid prototypes would be cool.
    AMS2 has an advantage and huge potential over the competition with Dynamic Madness Weather and isnt restricted to GT3 like ACC. Multiclass endurance on this engine is perfect

• Like Like x 1
  15. ThunderChief

ThunderChief Member

So buy it ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Super Nova

Super Nova Member

Not in the state, sry;)