1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Sounds - Is there a thread for requests?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by ThunderChief, Jun 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ThunderChief

ThunderChief Member

Specifically, the AMG GT3 and the F3 Brazil (which seems to have the same engine sound as in the original AMS) have this weird quirk during acceleration where the engine note gets distorted in a certain RPM range.

Both engines produce this annoying repetitive cycle and it's only these 2 cars that really appear to have the worst of it.

If there is a thread for engine sound/car sound changes, please link here. If there is none, perhaps this can be that thread.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

i found the stockcar also to have a very annoying high pitched child-like screaming sound(not the newest, the one before the newest stockcars)

i was driving in the rain so could have been mixed together with too loud water contact noise (patch day the water sound was really loud).

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

I have definitely noticed that with the F3. Whether it’s authentic or not I have no idea, but it can get pretty grating either way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I agree, some of the engine sounds can be grating and lacking in convincing dynamics. To some extent, we can find such cases in every single sim title. In those cases, I suspect there may not be good quality reference material to develop proper samples from.

While these are certainly valid points, I suspect we should consider that few - if any of the current sounds in AMS2 are 100% finished at this point in development.

There may be some physics updates or other features that can adversely affect the audio output. Until the core features are fully fleshed out and locked down, there may not be reason to fully develop all of the sounds to a high level.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. ThunderChief

ThunderChief Member

rFactor 2 also has this problem (the Norma LMP3 in rF2 is nothing like the Nissan VK V8 that I have had the privilege to drive in real life). And the 911 RSR in AC required a mod to get it to sound right.

Indeed, the impact of physics on engine sounds is strongly misunderstood. I'm a lifelong musician - it's crazy what a top musician can do with a trumpet, which only has 3 pistons.

If the same odd loopy sound quirk were present in all of the GT3 engines, then the base sonic model is not correct, but it's just the AMG. It could be that they have not had the opportunity to record that engine range themselves, under their standard set of conditions, and they are using 3rd party samples for now. One way I like to test game sound generators is to rapidly tap the throttle and listen to the response while the car is stationary, while the car is moving and in gear, and when up- and downshifting, straining, coasting, etc.

Rather than go into detail, this is a great article about engine sounds in games:

How Audio Engineers Record And Develop Engine Noises In Car Games

6. ThunderChief

ThunderChief Member

It's not present in the F3 cars I've driven in other sims. Granted, those aren't exactly the same as the Brazilian F3, but the base engine is the same. The AMG and F3 sounds have this similar distortion quirk, so it makes me think (just a guess) that the sample base is the same and the sonic model doesn't have a big enough sample size to accurately capture the increase in RPMs under acceleration.

7. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

I drive the F3 a lot. And I wanted it to have a better engine sound too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dean Ogurek

Thanks fort the article link, I hadn't seen that one. I have followed Greg's work for decades and remain a huge fan. I can almost always tell when "Aussie" Greg Hill has a hand in game audio development.

It's one of the reasons why I often raise the point on forums regarding the significance of interaction between the Power-train / Drive-train / & track. It's all inextricably linked and so fundamentally integrated into automotive dynamics and audio, yet too often completely left out of Racing titles.

Of course, as the article points out quite well, all of this is far more complicated and demanding than most people can even begin to imagine.

I'm thrilled that the Madness Engine has the drive-train interaction with audio that it does now but, the lack of full range high-quality engine recording / samples is likely to hamper results in any title.

Still, I like how Reiza are utilizing what is available, even if the dynamics are somewhat limited in the end. The mod'ing community has in some ways, achieved more convincing results than the pro-engineer's have, at least in terms of external car sounds (replay audio). That's not to say that it brings the best overall sound quality but, can be more exciting and immersive sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ThunderChief

ThunderChief Member

This should be a banner permanently pasted across every sim racing forum and game.

Are there already sound mods for AMS2 engine sounds?

10. Dean Ogurek

No, I was referring to those such as ACfan, Fonsecker, RSS mod team and a few other talented people that started out creating mods for AC. ACfan is currently working with Reiza. Fonsecker may be working with S397.

11. ThunderChief

ThunderChief Member

That makes sense. I use both ACfan's and Fonsecker's mods with AC. Excellent work.

It does explain why AMS2 sounds so much better than it did just a few months ago.

• Agree Agree x 1