1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. RolandOfDongworth

RolandOfDongworth New Member

In general the AI seems to sandbag it while the tires warm up and then it's FULL ON apparently. lol. Seems to happen in a lot of the AI races I encounter. Finger crossed this update's going to fix it.

2. SoloWingX

SoloWingX New Member

AI is certainly improved in v1.2, more balanced, straight line speed is much more comparable from my limited testing. A "bug" that I noticed previously hasn't been fixed, which is Stock Cars (only one I tested thus far in this combo) tap their brakes at the S/F line at Curitiba.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yup, noticed the same thing yesterday with the Brazilian stock cars at Curitiba - AI are too slow down the start-finish straight because they tap the brakes at S/F line.

They seemed to have pretty reasonable speeds around the rest of the circuit except for T10, the penultimate right-hander (before the final long right-hander back onto the S/F straight), through which they are a tad slow.

That said, I'm not sure how much of an impact the now expanded AI personalities has on the speed of different AI drivers through different corners. I'm seeing differences in AI laps times of 3 and 4 seconds between the fastest and slowest AI drivers now, so perhaps some of the AI take certain corners slower than others as a means of implementing the spread of AI abilities.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. sampopel

Version: V.1.2.0.1
    Car: Copa Uno
    Track: Goiania
    AI Strength: 100%
    AI Aggression: 100%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific):
    Session Distance: 10 laps
    Weather when the issue was observed: wet
    Setup: default
    Player Tyre: dry (probably)
    AI Tyre: dry (probably)
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): first race of a new custom championship

Starting conditions - not raining but track had damp patches. I went with default setup so didn't check what tyres the game had given me but my guess is drys.
    During the first 5 laps, there are light sprinklings of rain over parts of the track. I'm running 11th and going at the same pace as AI.
    Lap 6, heavy rain begins, the AI slows and within 2 or 3 corners, I've easily made my way to the front. By the start of the next lap, I'm already 7 seconds clear. The rain eases and the track dries a bit and the gap remains at about 6 seconds until the end.

Conclusion: the AI seemed much too slow in the wet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.2.0.2
    Car: Any
    Track: Silverstone modern
    AI Aggression: 80%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Luffield
    Session Distance
    : 5 laps
    Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    Setup: default
    Player Tyre: dry
    AI Tyre: dry (i assume)
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): any

AI are still massively faster than the player through Luffield, and can usually make at least a second on the player who simply cannot match their grip through this long corner. This has been reported over and over since this track was released.

6. sampopel

Before I checked a map of the circuit to find out which corner Luffield is, I had already correctly guessed which one you were talking about. I usually lose a bit of ground (in some cars) to the AI on the exit of that corner on most laps, yet I'm comfortably as fast as them (at 100%) throughout the rest of the lap.

However, out of interest, have you tried racing against the ghosts of some of the faster humans at Silverstone on Time Trial mode? I know I've felt the AI were too fast for me on certain car/track combos but when I check the Time Trials, I realised there are some people putting in lap times much faster than me. Try racing the Time Trial ghosts and see if they're also faster than you coming out of that corner and if they are, you know you need to find a way to get faster there, which may include altering setups. Admittedly, some of the best Time Trial times are done by aliens, so not necessarily realistic.

I do agree that the AI seem to have disproportionately better exit speed at that corner, but I always feel that if I can easily match the AI lap times at 100%, they should probably be made to be faster.

7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Car: Porsche Cup 4.0/3.8
    Track: Interlagos
    AI Strength: 95%
    Session Distance: 15 minutes
    Weather when the issue was observed: Thunderstorm
    Setup: Custom
    Player Tyre: Wet
    AI Tyre: Wet?
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race

AI is 10 seconds off pace in a race starting off as a thunderstorm and remaining wet throughout.

8. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Car: Porsche Cup 4.0/3.8
    Track: Curitiba
    AI Strength: 97%
    Session Distance: 15 minutes
    Weather when the issue was observed: Heavy cloud
    Player Tyre: Hard slicks
    AI Tyre: Hard slicks
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race

AI taps the brakes every lap when crossing the S/F line.

9. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

AI at 100% for aggression and skill are awful at long beach and Daytona road course in the GTE only class.
    Long Beach course, They dive bomb turn one, cause non stop accidents between turn one and the fountain. They dive bomb me every time at the final corner going on to the start finish straight and are slow out of the corners.
    Daytona Road course, non stop dive bombs at the bus stop, non stop dive bombs and punting into turn one, no awareness coming out of turn one going through the twists and then more punts going into the first long right hander. Every start I’ve had it’s three wide into the double left hander as you enter the oval for the first time and they get glued to me, my car starts hopping in the air and then one volunteers to spin me and pin me into the dirt.
    I’ve not had a single clean AI race at either of these circuits.
    These circuits are great and highly enjoyable for hot lapping, but terrible for AI races.

10. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

AI Drop Off after passing is still a huge issue for me, I just spent 8 laps hunting down the AI in front, he started at 3 seconds ahead. Yet when I finally got to pass him he dropped back to 2 seconds within the space of a lap and a half.
    Upon more racing it seems they still drop off to a second behind or so behind as soon as you pass them, even coming off a corner badly they don't seem to gain any ground unless you come right off the throttle. Aggression was 75%-100% in various races
    (latest version as of today)

AI "Natural" Mistakes are still a myth to me as well, I've seen others post that they happen but I'm yet to see a single AI car spin out on his own, or lock brakes going into a corner etc. Is it a case of only certain cars and/or tracks this happens on? or perhaps Strength/Aggression settings?

11. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

Car: Formula trainer advanced
    Track: Brands Hatch
    AI Strength: 108%
    Session Distance: race weekend
    Weather when the issue was observed: sunny
    Player Tyre: slicks
    AI Tyre: slicks
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): General but also Qualify
    60 min practice
    20 min qualification
    15 min race

I feel like the AI on this car/track combo is not fast enough. My best laptime (1:34 something) was about a second faster than the fastest AI (1:35. 5 I think).
    Also, the AI is slower in qualification than in the race

12. Dan44AFCB

Dan44AFCB Member AMS2 Club Member

Despite the individual talent files being included for each individual driver, I see no obvious change to my above statement. Just ran a 25 min race at Bathurst, and the AI still running in packs of 4 or 5 with very close times, constantly overtaking and reovertaking, often causing roadblocks.

Maybe the issue is not with the talent or personalities or equivalent term, but some sort of inherent rubber band effect?

Either way, still very annoying and immersion breaking.

Apart from that, still enough for me to play this a lot more than before.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Echoing the essence of the same track in PC2, the ai at Long Beach are way too slow out of the off-camber turn 5, the exit of turn 7, and definitely into the final corner, where they can be easily overtaken on the inside, as they hesitate far too much.

There’s also a random pole sticking up in the run-off area at Turn 7.

14. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Verson: 1.2.0.2
    Car: Merdedes GT3
    Track: multiple (see below)
    Weather: Sunny/Dry
    Setup: Default except reduced traction control slightly
    Session distance: 20 minutes
    Tires: Default
    Session Race:
    AI Skill/Aggression: 100/90

Did GT3 races at a variety of tracks this weekend. Overall improved vs. before, but here are several things I still noticed.

1) Cascais Turn 1/Nurburgring (GP) Turn 1/Hockenheim hairpin: AI will do anything to take a wide corner entry--i.e. they will either surrender a position or take the player out if entering those corners side-by-side. It is quite jarring to be preparing to drop in behind the AI car when they have the preferred line going into a hard right turn but instead the AI makes a hard left to get the outside corner entry. Obviously nobody would ever want to do that when they already have the preferred line.

2a) Hockenheim turn 7: Slightly different situation but same outcome. Went into this curve side-by side, but the AI made a hard right and wiped me out--again, AI must be on the standard racing line at all costs!

2b) Hockeheim turn 1: On the start the AI will also take the player out to hit the apex of this corner.

4) Curvelo -- the last corner. AI will always swing right to enter this corner and surrender the position to me--if you have a car right behind you obviously you'd take a defensive line vs. surrendering the position to get on the standard racing line.

5) Cascais Turn 13 (Parabolica): I was putting 1-2 seconds on the AI in this curve every lap. Compared to them I was glued to the track and they were on hockey pucks. Conversely, they could take Turn 2 without slowing down or just with a super-quick tap the brakes. In that case they are glued and I'm on hockey pucks.

One thing I notice that got fixed: I think it's turn 3 at Curvelo (the left-hander that banks away from you), the AI no longer have unlimited grip here--I was keeping pace with them which I was never able to do before.

Another thing that looks to be better: I did an F3 race at Hockenheim and there was no car contact! These cars were no longer being driven like stock cars!

One more general point: It's still not clear to me what "AI Aggression" means in terms of actual game play. If you want the cars to act like real professional race drivers (i.e. they will take advantage of any mistake you make but also don't destroy their equipment), what is the ideal setting?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  15. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Appreciate the reply mate. I accept that every track has some regions where the player can do a little better than the AI, and vice versa. Luffield is definitely not in the "AI a little better than player" category :)

16. shane pawa

shane pawa CSW 2.5, CSL Elite Pedals Lc, NLR Wheel Stand DD

• Car / Track used: mclaren gt4, mclaren gt3, c8r, Long beach
    • AI Strength setting:110
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): turn 5
    • AI Aggression setting: 40
    • Session Distance: 10 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: clear
    • Player Tyre: soft
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player):
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race
    At the exit of turn 5 i gain and overtake everytime due to how slow it is

• Car / Track used: 911 rsr, daytona regular
    • AI Strength setting: 110
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): oval section
    • AI Aggression setting: 50
    • Session Distance: 10 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    • Player Tyre: soft
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player):
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race):race
    the ai being very slow and easy to catch up on the oval makes racing daytona in areo high cars almost underivable, this may be due to the fact of how ai react to slipstream, which i have been told is nonexistent

17. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Car: Formula Vee (and other open wheelers)
    Track: Long Beach (and also others)
    AI Aggression: 50% (or higher)
    AI still drive like 12 year old maniacs in MP. Just pretend on their line when player is in front and go for the rear tyres of human driver in order to spin it around. Rather crash than stand back. Can drive some fantasy lines without losing speed or grip.Change their racing line several times before corners. On other tracks, the still try to overtake by cutting corners. In real racing, AI woul be penalized or even disqualified for this kind of behaviour on track.
    Devs are obviously mixing up aggressive driving with committing suicide.:whistle:

18. Wedsley Dias

Wedsley Dias Active Member

I agree. Immersion breaks see groups of three or four AIs blocking your front or going through tight turns (under curb, grass) without resulting in accidents.

Another question that still makes me confused about "personalities". I noticed different performance between them, great, but I did 3x the same event (same car/track/conditions) and in each event, drivers change cars and only three or four drivers/cars remained in the top 10 in the three consecutive events.
    Can anyone confirm if the same happens in championship mode?

19. Wedsley Dias

Wedsley Dias Active Member

Still remains in V.1.2.0.2

20. Graham A

Graham A New Member AMS2 Club Member

Car / Track used: Laguna Seca 2020
    AI Strength setting: 100
    AI Opponent Number: 29
    AI Opponent Field Type: Multi-Class (GT 3)
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): 11 (Or maybe -1) ?
    AI Aggression setting: 85
    Session Distance: 20 Laps but not relevant
    Weather when the issue was observed: Real Weather but not relevant
    Player Tyre: Default
    AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): Default
    Type of session when the issue was observed : Race
    Start type: Standing

During a standing start, AI car 29 starts partly on what would be corner 11. When the green light hits, it drives off the track, slides, and tries to assassinate me in position 30. Every single time :)