1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the new physics ?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Neil D Corfield, Jun 4, 2021.

1. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

Unless something changes, this sim should just stick to bias plies and dirt tires.

In reality, a radial will often have a severe snap in the other direction when the front tire bites after a correction is made to a dramatic slide. This doesn't really happen in the game, unless a rear tire touches one of the mounds of dirt that have been placed unrealistically on green tracks.

So the radials are always very forgiving on slides and corrections (like bias plies), or they remain planted, like Gran Turismo.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Active Member

in fact, dirt racing was the only good thing about project cars 2..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Active Member

hi Renato, thanks for your time and the answer. since you are on this thread, I'd like to ask you something : I noted that having "controller damper" and "controller vibration" turned on or off (100% and 50% as they come by default or both at 0%) makes a difference also when using a wheel, and not a controller - in my case a simucube2. is it possible that there is some sort of cross-effects between controllers and wheels for those two parameters? thanks,

4. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Happened to me multiple times last night... :)

5. Sampo

Sampo Member AMS2 Club Member

What is the characteristic in a radial tire that makes it behave so?

6. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

I don't know. You'd have to ask an engineer. I only know how they're made, and what their general handling characteristics are. I don't know the physical reason why the different construction makes them have higher peak grip and faster falloff.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Several things are being conflated here:

1. The M4 pretty clearly has some issues with the suspension. It is both slower and more nervous than the other GT4 cars, and while the car exhibits the same rear instability under corner exit in other sims too, it feels exaggerated in AMS2. I'm sure this will get fixed soon.

2. It is likely true that some cars have too much longitudinal grip, and it should be at least possible to do burnouts with 400+ hp. As Renato mentioned in the Facebook Q&A, most previous generation sims went the opposite way and had too little longitudinal grip at low speeds (known issue of many Pacejka-based models). A careful balance has to be found to do a fun but accurate simulation of reality, not a simulation of previous generation racing sims and their well-known weaknesses.

3. As far as what has improved in the physics, I can say that driving in wet conditions is now incredibly intuitive. In other sims, I always feel like I'm just driving at 70% grip and it's all understeer into snap oversteer. Consequently, I never used to drive in the wet in sims if I could avoid it. While in AMS2 the lack of peak grip is certainly felt, at the same time the grip fall-off is more progressive and the wet tyres respond more gradually, plus it's dynamic depending on where the standing water is on the track. So for the first time ever, I find myself actually hotlapping a soaked Nordschleife and loving every minute of it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1