1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamepad Support - Analysis, Suggestions, Wishes

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GTAce, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

You need to reset your controller settings to default to get the latest baseline - not different to what was possible before, but much better baseline settings.

Further changes in this build include tweaks to speed sensitivity per car, TC & ABS levels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. ReisF1

ReisF1 New Member

Yeah, kinda disappointing. Was hoping for bigger improvements.

edit: still feels like we don't have total control of the steering wheel.

3. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Does AMS2 have the option to completely disable all aids, filters, dampers, and deadzones and get raw input on controller?
    Imo one of the problems with the PCars games is that there's some built-in aids/filters for controller users that cannot be turned off, and those things can cause some input lag and give me the impression that I'm not in full control o the car.
    I don't mind having things like aids, filters, dampers, and deadzones enabled by default to help casual players but ideally there should be options to completely disable all those things and fine tune from there as needed. You guys did a good job in AMS1 in that regard.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Exactly.

Nice, baseline is fine for newcomers. Are planned any engine tweaks? Because ME has this support since start and it could be tuned and have ISIMotor standard, I guess. Would be great because transition from AMS1 to 2 is strange then.

No. It's like PC1 and PC2. PCs have missing steering rate settings completely (speed of wheel move). So you need to use predefined by somebody. PC1 has three settings for it, PC2 only one (like AMS2).

PC1 was more raw without any dampening but I am not sure if it's not because of different physics, but I guess not. PC2 has some small dampening which causes input lag but you need to have very precise skill to feel it. It's not a problem to me at all but I know it's there.

But if you set it correctly you have very nice input. Linearity 1:1 (only usable), rather good steering rate and same small dampening which is rather invisible. Everything else should be broken settings.

My main problem is with linearity, I want it "slower" at start but it never worked good enough in ME. I would like to see the math behind it because it looks like some broken rounding? Hard to say. Can't imagine why every sensitivity settings is so strange :D

edit:
    But no other aids, I guess.

5. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Now I wonder what "Further changes in this build include tweaks to speed sensitivity per car" means. Is it some delta for real speed sensitivity? Or is it absolute? Hm....

6. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

No major difference for me, with or without Steam Imput activated. No problem with accelerator and brake, always the steering with 2mm of useful travel. Tiki Tiki mode or Automan mode.:cool:

7. micro-impact

micro-impact New Member

Slightly better , but far away from good. It´s still the same with ME. It feels like we are driving a different game with gamepads. Far away from "raw input".
    And the vibration is still as bad as before.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Hmmm, today I tried it again with 488 GT3 and it was great. Rather low sensitive input because of ACC likes it more. In AMS2 more sensitive input is OK but not that precise. So I am not sure what was the problem before but I played Xbox version a lot and today I tried PC one. Overall, AC/ACC controller settings are great as a settings template.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. GTAce

GTAce New Member

Was finally able to try it, but also didn't feel a significant difference. Smooth steering is still not really possible.

10. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Yes, still the same problem with strange sensitivity settings. It's a bit funny because I played PC1 on consoles and was rather happy. But then moved to PC and tried AMS2 which was much better than PC1 - a bit lower sensitivity because of steering lock settings. It's very playable and not bad. But then I made a big mistake and tried rF2 :D There is no chance to go back with current AMS2 steering settings. So we are in a similar boat.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

Well.... I tried the controller pre-patch. I said exactly what I did with it, and that was not the first time I used a controller in the game and did fine. So thats the whole story. I did FINE with it and god damn it, man, its kinda really fun.

But thats not enough for people like you. This is not rfactor 2 or AC where the driving line is literally razor thin. Its a different kind of game.

Don't go back - drive Rf2 for ages and you will see, it literally drives itself. Its a static game with tire deformation. It brakes when it has to (how convenient) and it turns as you would want it, at least with the car I drove and at laguna seca (for comparison purposes). AMS2 is a little different. Surely there's a car in AMS2 that gets it done for you. Thus you won't have wasted your money, which must be at the core of your issue here.

Also go into car setup and fiddle with suspension, ARB and steering wheel rack. You use a controller, so why would you necessarily want 18 rack when maybe 24 is better, I thought everyone did that.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  12. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Yeah, cool. Thanks for the info.

13. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Does anybody have ABS and TC always on since 1.2? Maybe I didn't delete something important but everything I do, it looks like cars has everything on and maybe stabilization too, if it's in the game.

edit:
    I asked my friend on a wheel and he's fine. Can somebody test Camaro? It's very hard to drive it without TC but I am not able to disable anything. If enable/disable all, it doesn't matter.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  14. Beccobunsen

I propose a small pad experiment:

Try a few laps of this combos in this order:

1) Ultima @ longbeach
    2) Bt44 @ longbeach
    3) Bt46b @ longbeach

Same identical control settings

What do you think?

15. Berno

Berno Member AMS2 Club Member

It seems the physics improvements have made a big difference in the driveability of all cars and I had some enjoyment for the first time with AMS2 but unfortunately the gamepad feeling is still the poorest of all sims I play. Pity I was loving reliving GP2 around 1988 configuration Imola in Gen 3 Formula cars!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

I tried Ultima on Long beach like @Beccobunsen suggested and it was OK. At least no TC or ABS activated. But I would probably need better settings for a gamepad. Recently I tried PC1 again on Xbox because of opened community events and I found out steering rate in PC1 is very slow (input 3), it was brutal. PC doesn't have steering rate settings at all but AMS2 is probably not the worst sim. I like the steering lock settings and rate is rather fine too. Still not good enough to start playing it again.

17. Beccobunsen

For me.
    1) the one of the Ams2 best experience with pad, responsive and the turning reaction is ok in all speed,

2) driveable but less responsive, the wheel is "muffled", cant have rapid turning from side too side at all speed

3) its a tank, cant turn the damn thing at low speed at all, the wheel is glued to the floor, 0.05% of trottle and the car is spinning (and where is the glue? Now i have a fish above the wheel )

Im planning to do a list of gamepadable cars with setting.

18. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

That's interesting and Renato said they did some tuning for every car which is probably not bad but has some issues too (as you saw). I don't have time to play with this stuff but if Reiza want to improve gamepad I can help with it for sure. Until then rF2 is still completely different level for steering. Sometimes I think it's so good it must steer on its own :D

19. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

I use input mode 2 in PC1, the others don't feel right to me, for both PC1 & PC2 I set "render frames ahead" to 1 in graphics settings to decrease input lag. I also adjust steering ratio in each car's setup, pretty much every car in PC1 has steering ratio that is too low, increasing it generally makes the car a bit easier to drive. Default tyre pressure is generally too high for most cars so lowering that can help too.

20. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Thanks for the info. That's exactly why this thread exists to talk about experiences. Your observations look right to me. The steering rate was rather slow so steering ratio could help with it. I never was sure what exactly it does but should be something with steering :)) Will do ambassador trophy so I will play with it a bit.

But overall I moved from consoles to a computer and found all those gems. PC1 is still good but if I can choose I would rather go with AMS2. AMS2 is not bad to me at all but if you try every possible game for last 20 years you have different perspective then. Other games are even better which is good for us but must be pretty hard for every studio because competition is very good.