1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

I think the new default FFB is best yet. No disrespect to the FFB tweakers, but I feel like the custom FFB files are distorting what the game has to offer and what the game Devs want us to feel. I don't feel like you're getting the full AMS2 experience with custom FFB files - at least not the experience the Devs want you to have. Don't attack me, just my opinion :)

The only problem with the default FFB is the wheel torque when you go over a bump. The left & right pull of the wheel feels like the torque increases quite a bit for second and them goes back normal. It's way too strong. Other than that, the default FFB is perfect.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Dexter McHaze

Dexter McHaze New Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm on a DD1 and this is what I've been struggling with for so long using the Default FFB. I've never been able to dial it out. It's like theirs an over boosted counter steer force happening that completely ruins your ability to drive on the edge of grip. Custom FFB files seem to be the only thing I've found to get rid of this unfortunate behavior. If anyone has idea how to tame / remove this effect I'd love to know.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

Well the ffb is much better now and I have also done a couple of files people like. So I call that a good result. I am also using the default more. And default-custom.

If this is one of the last major changes then I am going to guess going forward will be a lot easier to dial in and to have more luck doing so. Until that, I did do up a file for download whic does tighten up center for belts. And I am sure default is not overly bad at least on a belt. I did state how to change the center in the thread over there.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  4. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Update was pushed to me in Japan finally yesterday

tested Reiza default only but Gain is back to 65 to 70 levels as I was using before

will test Karsten custom vanilla and yours to compare and report back tonight as it’s morning over here and I am at work

• Like Like x 1
  5. Raceracerace

Thanks. I appreciate it and will be glad if it works well for you

6. Raceracerace

Thats ok none taken too. Just on that, it is true and I took great care and effort and even (unfortunately) used only version 4.5 exp in my latest builds. My aim apart from generating a higher skill ceiling/capability with the hardware, was to recreate some very like default and build the center in a linear fashion for the custom file (for belts). I am not interested in bumps/noise like people who want to get that out of the g29, and I was not going to compromise what I thought was the games really good trajectory/feel progress with physics. So when it came time to do make the slip/angles and use of the wheel in relation to that, I wanted it to be tight and still retain the whole feel reiza may expect. If a patch drops I don't want to not see the changes. I like the game to feel seamless. Switching profiles per car or something is not my favorite thing either.

This is not me saying you should use mine just because, I am actually a fan of default and their custom. It'll keep developing as the game does. I just think the custom file is now very geared towards a direct drive, and thats ok as there's heaps of room to push further there. Can't stall development for just one type of wheel + Reiza use a different methodology/paradigm altogether. Actually you would have to say the custom reiza file in-game is actually more ahead of the momentum rack, seems more dynamic. The custom one (I only changed a few values to make it suitable, not the base) is more linear as I have done it.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Im reading conflicting stuff everwhere. I have TS PC and in thrustmaster control panel "damping" is set by game option. In AMS2 game it says 0 damping but other sims set damping to on - assetto 100% for example with my wheel. Is damping meant to be on or off by default for my wheel in game. It seems oscilattion is a lot more to off setting but i dont know if that Reiza whats it to be. Im amateur level racer....

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tk84

tk84 Member AMS2 Club Member

I think by now we could do with new / better official documentation about the FFB settings. The post at the start of this thread seems to be a bit outdated and is not mentioned in-game for users who dont visit this forum? I understand it is a complicated topic, but its such an important one. I read such varying reports from so many different people ranging from AMS has the best to worst FFB out there and can't help but feel that FFB settings make such a difference to this.

Between the in game settings and then settings on your wheelbase its so easy to transform but also so easy to totally ruin the FFB feel. Obviously different people have different tastes, some prefer a heavy wheel or a wheel jumping around providing as much information as possible, some prefer a lighter less hyperactive wheel, which is why there are all the different settings available

I'm not suggesting that Reiza produce recommended settings for every wheel out there (although compared to making multiple default setups for all the car and track combo's out there, surely the actual number of wheels on the market is much more achievable?). But some more help text and advice on the Force Feedback settings page would be a great help. For a start I've seen something about the FX slider in the new loading page help text, but thats really not the place for putting important documentation - its always the 'second' slide of text that flashes up for about 1.5 seconds before a track loads, took me about 4 attempts to read the full sentence. But when I did read it, it was interesting to know as its not mentioned in the description for FX in the original post of this thread. I havent seen mentioned whether this is an absolute value for these apparently quite key effects (that help text line suggests that FX helps you feel understeer/oversteer) in that 0 means no feel at all, or whether its a boost on top of the default amount in the FFB.

Maybe Reiza don't feel its their place, its more up to wheel manufacturers to provide such advice, but I'd really like to know things like the best approach if you have gain settings on your wheel base as well as in game, do you want to aim for min / max gain in game or on wheel base? things like that. Also the 'Damping' setting still seems to be a bit of a mystery to me, other than it occasionally popping up on various forum posts often with totally different recommendations.. for a start it would be nice to know what it is actually damping? Does it mean like a smoothing filter, taking out smaller vibrations, or does it leave smaller vibrations alone and reduce the force of only big forces on the wheel?

Like I say, you can clearly make a big difference to the way FFB feels, even by making relatively small adjustments to the settings, I just feel its more trial and error a lot of the time, as I dont fully know what the settings are actually doing, which means I'm never totally confident I have things set the best they could be.

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Damping by definition means a centering force proportional (either linearly or non-linearly) to the rotational velocity of the wheel. It will tend to oppose fast motion of the wheel from side to side, leading to a slightly mushy feel while preventing some unwanted oscillations on high-powered wheelbase. A good value of damping is just large enough to stop the wheel from going nuts but doesn't interfere with fast corrections necessary for driving.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

I think this might be a Fanatec DD thing? As far as I know, you and I are the only ones who've mentioned this. Surely the Devs have DD wheels. Doesn't anyone else notice this? It's been this way since the game was released.

Like you said, it completely ruins the ability to drive on the edge. The only way I've found to "fix" it is to turn down my DD2 to 20 gain. But why even have a DD wheel then? Might as well just use a belt wheel.

Someone else said it's like the AMS2 FFB isn't meant for DD wheels and I'm beginning to believe it. This is the only sim I own where it's been over a year and I still can't get good FFB. Trying all these custom files, constantly tweaking settings... The most frustrating part is that I can feel the great FFB underneath and I want to release it but I can't.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Maarten Nauta

Maarten Nauta New Member

Yeah have DD1 as well and I agree. Default FFB is very light but "janky". Its like you get bit of oversteer mid-corner, here have a big jank on the wheel, bit of oversteer on corner exit if you get on gas too quick, here have another jank. The custom FFB makes the ffb bit heavier and dials the janks bit back, so thats better for me. For rest i understand little about ffb.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Fernando Zamora

Fernando Zamora Member AMS2 Club Member

I have more than 300 hours played. Most of them trying to find a good configuration for my ts-pc. I think I'm going to give up on AMS2. For me the driving sensation and the ffb of AMS1 is infinitely superior and much closer to what I feel when I drive a car in real life.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mike Abrunhosa

Mike Abrunhosa New Member

I have a DD2 and been struggling with that slow speed irrecoverable over-rotation, which I think is what you chaps are referring to above.

I tried turning a FFB Linearity on today and in doing so also increased FFB strength in-game and on the wheel to about 46 to compensate for the reduction in peak forces. I also have dynamic dampening and natural damper turned off at the wheel, and damper at about 20 in game, with some FX which may just be personal preference.

I tend to have inertia and friction turned off as I don’t like the feeling.

I finally managed a 10 lap race without losing control and it’s feeling pretty good, hoping this may help some of you who are struggling with fanatec FFB settings.

14. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

H
    Hello

I also have a TS PC and own AMS1 as well
    I would not be as hard as you on the new game

have you tried a custom FFB during your testing at all?

in some occasions it had been much better than reiza default for my wheel

now differences are minimal somehow depending on the car but still custom FFB is giving more closer to reality details

15. Dolphin

Dolphin New Member

Im sort of in the same boat as the guy 3 posts above me - TS PC owner. So many updates with regards to FFB and physics that a total layman like me has no idea what my FFB should be these days. It's been a long while so please update the advice please - damping and other default FFB settings for higher end belt wheels what should it be? I'll then get on with it and race but at the moment I'm not sure my wheel has proper default...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  16. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Put all wheel settings (control panel and/or on wheel) to default and then put all AMS 2 FFB sliders to default and tweak away. Easiest to leave FX at 50 and Damping at 0 to start. Gain is pretty basic--whatever feels like a decent weighting for your preferences. LFB should likely be as low as is required to make the wheel feel realistically heavy at both low speeds and higher speeds. Then tweak Damping...going up very slowly from 0 since belt wheels already have lots of "natural" mechanical damping. Then, lastly, adjust FX down or up from 50 if you have too much or too little road and curb details.

17. Aaron Green

Aaron Green Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So Fanatec damper should be left on then?

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Reiza says no...use the in-game damping.

So if it is one of the things on by default (not on my wheel, but...?), then I would shut it off at least until a decent set-up is achieved. Then play with it afterwards to see if it helps or hurts.

19. buddhatree

buddhatree Member

Guys, I think the culprit is the in-game damping - at least for DD wheels, it causes problems.

If I completely turn off in-game damping AND turn off [DPR] in the Fanatec settings and ONLY use [NDP] for damping, it's completely different game. I can use default FFB now.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Genau so ist es