1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.0.0 & Racin´ USA Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.2.1.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Chris89

Chris89 New Member

I know, and sometimes these changes are great and other times they're bad. And when they're very bad for you while great for others it's obviously frustrating.

I must have misunderstood your post or missed the help in there, sorry about that!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Yes it is an unfortunate and nasty thing to live with if you want to keep playing this sim. But that's how it is or otherwise you're effectively running a broken installation (documents folder has a huge part in it).

That's the first thing we have to accept. The second thing is that surely there needs to be some kind of update script later on with minor updates as things slow down. I wonder if there are any plans for such or if they're being investigated? You know for example if and when new mappable buttons are added or multiple controller profiles, some script that updates old controller profile files to the new system. Also when the new championship mode is out of beta and later on an update is done, will the championships be migrated?

Just messing things up can't be the way forever. But I can see why it still is with such big updates with much to do and a small team working on them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chris89

Chris89 New Member

Yeah I agree, it's just this huge mess most of the gaming industry faces I guess. With games getting so complex and big because the hardware is able to pull it off but at the same time requiring an exponential development effort so the developers need to start collecting the money before they can deliver a product that's mostly finished.And while I understand that it's just hard to bring yourself back into the mindset of accepting that as a paying customer.

4. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

The last couple of updates are a bug fest, weird sound, freeze, glitch. An Ams2 fanatic can close an eye, A new customer can? The list of bug is growing. And im not talking of phisics, just normal thing like, auto pit stop crashes, try a rolling multiclass start and you have interesting thing to talk about.

Donuts, al right if you want, but first im have more basic concern, like the overcraft style slideshow at 60-70 khm for the gt3s and other class/model. But perhaps, all users are in varius different setting status directory, file version, etc. We need a more robust way for import export setting. After this. The fun stuff.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Ribeiros

Ribeiros Active Member

I think that the best thing @reiza could do is open the beta to anyone interested in it, and put the updates there so anyone can test and find bugs, instead of updating the main game and have people moaning that it is broke or something isn't right, better to do this in a beta version and when all bugs are fixed launch the update too the main version of the game. It would take longer for updates, but at least they would work properly, like physics updates are great for a game, but when they change too much the way a car behaves, it is better test on a beta first to make sure that it is properly done. We'll that's my opinion at least, I enjoy a lot the game, but my discord channel that has almost 400 players, most of them left the game for no improvements on multiplayer and complaints that everytime they update the game the car they like to drive is different.
    I would be happy to participate in a beta to help sort out bugs and test updates and new features.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

They still weave in a weird fashion. I don't race online so only ever race AI. I have had them turn in on me quite a few times. They drift towards you when side by side down the straight and then suddenly serve away. Its very odd. I mean, c'mon, they hang on to the outside of a corner in a completely unrealistic fashion.

They are better than they used to be but if this is the best its going to be then so be it. I actually find rf2 AI better for racing.

Can you tell me what settings you use for aggression etc. I'll give them a try and see if that improves it any.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

60% I use. I have very good battles with the Ai and they have come along way. Sure there are some odd behavior moments which I simply record and post in the Ai bug thread which will aid development.

I also never underestimate the complexity of coding Ai, if you want to call them that..

8. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

I've had several instances of AI swerving right in front of me when i was testing graphoc settings for night races in the current version. it mostly happened on Nürburgring at the exit of the Arena section. AI are set low for testing (90/50) so I'm overtaking them on the outside a lot but sometimes they come out in front of me and then they drift towards my car and suddenly swerve across. They never hit me thoug. Looks like the AI somehow needs to be on the left edge of the track instead of the right.

9. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

There is also one thing that is important but I don't know if it is doable.
    And that is to lessen the variables.
    We know that AMS2 is a long project. The problem is that almost every time with an update you need to delete the folders. I think Reiza should make an app or where they update that they delete the folders automatically (with a warning of course so you can save pictures, etc... if that would get deleted).
    That way you can narrow down the problems. Now you sometimes hear that this or that car is undrivable and then when they delete a folder everything is fine.
    This gives much trouble with reporting because the variables are adding up. It could be the game it could be the non deleted folders, etc...
    The same with the setup of the wheel. We know that some need to calibrate their pedals twice and such because of a bug.
    So I think that Reiza should take matters into their own hands and if possible delete the necessary folder by themselves either with the update itself or by an app. That way it would be faster to narrow down issues without the issue of folders.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

I'm not a genius but i develop "gestionales" software (invoice and customers stuff) and im familiar with db stuff and user Gui. I prefer cut my hands instead if change an user "way of do stuff". Is there when s***t hit the fan. Sometime is better do creative code under the curtains in trasparent mode. Import setting from a file into db or create table of settings for lookup to.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  11. Manohy

Manohy Member

I agree, I've posted earlier in this thread also that the Beta should be public. Sorry for those who pay for it...

12. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

Opening the beta to the public is a bit double edged: while the backers have less of a reason to back (although you should be doing it to support Reiza and their efforts, not just for a beta), the public has access to test and report bugs on new content which in the long run could be extremely beneficial to both sides: we get to play with the fun new toys early and Reiza get to iron out the issues they might not have noticed or been able to fix without prior knowledge

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Manohy

Manohy Member

An another solution for them is to hire professional beta testers. Those will try the sim 24/7 detect the bugs before the backers beta testers. So we public have nothing to do but enjoy the game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  14. CatAstrophe05

The 24/7 part may be a little excessive but that's genuinely a good idea

15. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@Chris89
    Setting up within the UI is not rocket science tbh, shouldn’t take more than 10mins. Perhaps it’s a bit clunky the first time you’ll do it but personally I'm kind of a veteran now myself in setting everything up again after a big update. No big deal really.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

The best would be for Reiza to not be tied to an obligatory monthly update schedule and instead only put out the updates when they're ready and proper, after intensive testing, research and polish. This is how it goes for ACC and R3E and those two are probably the most polished sims around.

The bad side of this is that people are not patient and would probably start saying the game was dead and abandoned if Reiza where to go two months or more without putting out an update.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. CatAstrophe05

I think a solution to the "waaah waaah game ded!!!" thing would be to put out small updates every now and again to fix bugs, maybe add small pieces of new content and remind people that yes, the game is still being worked on, but obviously let Reiza take their time with the big stuff
    Whether or not Reiza take this idea is their choice but if they do, just remember than patience is a virtue, people

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Reiza does not have the budget to do that and it would be ineffective. You can have 30 testers testing all day long, this is nothing compared to 1000 or 5000 (or more) users hammering your software in every way you did not ever imagined. That's why most games have crash reporting tools (BugSplat for AMS2) sending detailed reports (but that addresses crashes only).
    The best (and probably only) way for such a small studio as Reiza is to crowdsource testing. First with beta testers that can find a few problems (if given enough time), and (yes) then other users.
    AMS has so many combinations possible of stuff that it is impossible to thoroughly test it for a few testers. What's important is that once significant problems are found (crashes in particular), they are fixed fast, and that's what Reiza has been doing all along with its aggressive update schedule.

Though I wish Reiza could hire more developers to work on code. Art team seems well staffed but there are not enough purely software developers in my opinion. I hope that if AMS2 is really successful on the sales side, additional developers will be hired.

To conclude, it is amazing what Reiza is achieving, relative to its size.

Note: I'm myself a developer, although not in games.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

I'm 85 aggression and 98-100 skill

20. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The audio is fked, forgot to change the balance so you will mostly hear me breathing and the paddleshift clicking...

Anyway, I applied the same settings as yours. Still can notice massive difference from the tow I get from the tow the AI get from another AI.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1