1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overly aggressive forum behaviour

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Fizzy, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Anyone else concerned by this?

Personally I feel that recently, the ‘race to the bottom’ has been happening quite a lot round here. I think the name calling and personal attacks are just degrading the forum, and a lot of threads just seem to get ruined.

I thought I’d start this topic to see if others felt the same, and if possible,discuss a way of turning things round. A certain other general sim racing forum has got a dreadful reputation and I think it would be a real shame to see this forum go the same way.

edit: Sorry, I meant to post in the General Discussion forum.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

We should remind ourselves a bit more often, that we are all human beings and at least should pretend to be grown up people.

Also when it's sometimes hard and it will probably not always be possible to keep up with it, but i conclude with a quote:

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always." ...it's by Robin Williams i think.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Fizzy

I’ve been thinking more about this. I think what you wrote is a really a great personal philosophy to nurture. We are all human, and we are all prone to making mistakes such as overreacting when we get into disagreements.

However, not everyone has this ‘humanist’ type of attitude, and hence why forums have moderators I guess. Recently I’ve seen outright examples of forum members being bullied.

I am a massive fan of Reiza, and their work output is staggering, but (I could be wrong here), I think it’s the case that the only moderation is being done by the developers, who as we know, are pretty busy with development (which is great).

I think ‘light touch’ moderation is great, but I just don’t think it’s fair to see forum members being abused for no good reason. We’re all going through a tough time right now, and it’s really just sad to see fellow humans being attacked for no reason other than the twisted pleasure of their persecutors.

I’m afraid I don’t have any smart answers, but I do know it’s my intention to quit the forum if things continue on the current trajectory (sure, no great loss to the forum, but a personal sadness that it’s come to this). Having lost both my parents recently, I look to my hobbies as places to escape the bleakness the real world throws at us sometimes. The last thing most of us want right now is unpleasantness for the sake of it.

• Friendly Friendly x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Please dont, all input is valid. I to have felt that, but a short break from reading stuff here and sim for a few days was worth it in past, sadly again I feel posting (on main) after recent reading and reactions, that its soured, again but seen it all before.
    Agreed. Lots/most ? of us have **** to deal with inc myself sat here with a piss bag cause the hopsital f--k up and more **** to follow+ and family,

Just take break, I am. Instead of testing others reports/findings Im just going to enjoy it for myself for a while or leave it completely for a few days, latter would be harder as it has lots of enjoyment to be had.
    My condolences

• Friendly Friendly x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

I find that with most forums the best way to enjoy them is just to read the content. I come to places like this for a good experience and mostly not contributing is the best way to ensure a happy time.

It's not just here, unfortunately it seems to be how message boards work nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Fizzy

Im sorry to hear you’re struggling Maser. I send you my best wishes friend.

I think you are probably right about taking a break. I just feel a bit sad to see the once friendly forum deteriorate into such a bickering, unpleasant place. Thanks for the advice, it warms the heart to know considerate people are out there :)

• Friendly Friendly x 9
  7. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Likewise buddy. :)
    theres alway many, many more worse off than me, its just easy to forget that sometimes

There are a lot here, keeped me going, too many to mention, they know who they are, and helped me when I joined and since, so yes, last post of day for me, work to do, sun is shining enjoy what we have. :)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Regarding your predicament, is it only a temporary situation? Your extra add on i mean.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's a sad fact of life now that their are so many keyboard warriors who hide behind their anonymity to belittle others. It is just a different form of bullying tbh. If they were like that in the workplace more than likely they would end up having issues with WHS and HR and ) or lose their job. Just cos they do it from the safety of their own environment doesn't mean it is any less serious.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Raceracerace

Raceracerace Active Member

Sorry to hear people are struggling. Its always difficult for people in these situations who are more vulnerable. Remain strong. Do not look to the forum as a solution to a life off it, mate and please do not think the forum is your only avenue in this world go and speak to someone about these issues as plenty of people do so and get back onto an even keel. This is true if you do not have an adequate support group and while people may try, we can never be the full support a person needs by just us all being on the forum.

Its like this: Hopes were high for the game and to some, they think those hopes were dashed maybe or if a youtuber no longer likes the title maybe they get a bit put off, and relate it all back because the title is something they like; they look at it as this being a negative aspect, and if you associate that with the forum, then it could be a detriment to you. Its ok to compartmentalize more than you do right now about things, rather than lumping them all vaguely together. Speak to someone about this, it could be deeper than just forum use.

The forum is not going to spare the rest of your life; the forum is for the discussion on the title, and its not a peg to be leant on overly much. Do not use it for your crutch, be focused. There's too many agenda's and different minds out there to find any kind of 'logical' aspect about it all.

Go and be among the people you love and care about, stop wanting the forum to conform to a safe space and a retreat - this is important - sometimes its difficult where someone comes in and tells you 'you were wrong', or points out something you didn't expect. Its ok. Take it on board and move on. No one online can actually reach into your life and home and lifestyle and mess with it, thats your kettle of fish and if you treat yourself with respect it will take care of itself, but sometimes people need help to borrow someone else's strength or clear thoughts in this, so could be anyone you trust, but at least get it off your chest.

They say ignorance is bliss. If I am somehow pointing out a difficult thing and you are struggling with this then I am sorry about that, but quite often what people say on forums is misconstrued any way. They could be only trying to help.

The forum is only your garden variety toxic place - the truth is words can be misinterpreted and there's plenty of way worse forums out there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

Not personally concerned but I can understand some people are. This Forum does not strike me as any worst than any other.
    Moderation can work but let's not forget our own moderation tool, the ignore feature, never hesitate to use it. I wish I would also have one of those in real life.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

With the sim growing and numbers increasing there are sure to be many new names and personalities entering discussions. There is bound to be butting of heads.
    As stated, we are all going through so many different struggles (i'm not going to bore you with mine although i will add, i may have a massive weight lifted off me soon, a life changing change).
    Just know that most people commenting here are doing so in the hope to help improve and add other views into AMS2...mostly anyway as i think we all share a passion and common interest.
    I wish everyone all the best and i hope this message finds you all in as best of health as possible.
    God Bless us all :)

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I love this and will have these words as my wallpaper from now on :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I feel ya pal.. chin up mate :)

Like you and others I got my own story too thats why i take a break recently. It helps..

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

The toxicity has gotten ridiculous. I've stopped posting, just noticed this thread because it's pointing out this particular problem which is getting increasingly worse. I doubt this thread is going to fix it, but hopefully it will at least let people know that it's a real problem that's getting noticed and maybe they'll think about what they're saying more.

I think every sim gets like this to a point, but unfortunately I also think AMS2 is the best sim out there, and its also the most criminally underrated sim out there, so a lot of people have a bizarrely intense reaction (persecution complex) to any criticism, even legitimate, and I see that getting worse before it gets better.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Jason Pladoh

Jason Pladoh Member

I suppose one solution is to practice more and spend less time on forums, that's what I do now, I ask a Question on here and go away and hope for a response, which I have got and am grateful for.

Another solution could be more/stricter Mods/Admins.

I hope this place doesn't become another "RageDepartment".

@Maser V6, Hope it's not permanent, And get well soon, Mine wasn't, But was still a Pain to deal with, wish I had read the ancient quote "Choices Made In Anger cannot Be Undone" I would have walked home.

You have to laugh.

All the best, Peeps

J

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Since I joined the forum I’ve found it to be a friendly and very helpful place to be, particularly as a relatively newcomer to sim racing. The sheer volume of shared knowledge in threads like Coanda’s Extended Car Info Spreadsheet, the Custom FFB thread (both in terms of the file originators and the responses) and SteelReserv’s setups thread is both astonishing and incredibly useful to someone like me. We’ve also got great community threads like GregVR’s Need More Videos that simply share the joy of our hobby.

The internet can bring out the worst in some people, but it can also (particularly in forums relying on the written word, often in a second language) lead to misunderstanding/misreading of intent, nuance and …. of course humour can be lost entirely for all the usual reasons before you even get to those mentioned previously.

If we have a particular issue with an individual we can ignore them, either with the specific feature for that purpose or simply by disengaging with them. There are plenty of people I’ve ‘disengaged’ with in my day to day, face to face life. It’s not always pleasant but it’s better than banging into the same wall time and again.

I genuinely hope that, despite the inevitable occasional disagreements and run-ins, that this place will continue to be, in the main, the knowledgeable and eager to share source of shared love for sim racing and Reiza’s work that has made me stay whilst letting my Race Dept account go unused…apart from the great Download section:)

Don’t go, stay and help make the forum be a better place to visit. As mentioned above, hopefully there’ll be more new blood as AMS2 continues to improve and people start to take notice.

Finally, my apologies for a total and utter rambling post:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Reiza forum in my opinion isn't too bad (I would say is one of the safest and healthy overall).
    Some AMS2 newcomers (the AMS1 brigade is composed by well know members now) can be quite vocal and sound quite harsh sometimes but probably is due to several reasons, being younger, coming from PC2 forum or being new but biased towards others games...
    I suppose there is a reason Reiza aficionados are called "fanboys" lately (more coverage exposed a lot of us specially in order to defend Reiza work) but that's it...we were a small community enjoying Reiza work and now we are growing very fast so we need to adapt each other (old and new).
    Probably avoiding to reply to aggressive ones will teach them to be more polite and gentle overall..if not the forum "ignore" option is a good one too lol

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ignore button is your friend. I don't ignore many folks, but there are a few that just aren't able to communicate properly that I just turn off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There are unfortunately people who treat every online discussion as a battle that needs to be won at all costs. Weapons include walls of text, opinions shouted over and over in the hope that they’ll transform into facts, ad hominems, logical fallacies, etc etc. This forum has traditionally been mercifully low on this stuff but it has certainly increased over the last few months.

• Agree Agree x 10