1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Water on Windshield kinda an Immersion breaker

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by MasterLooser, Jun 18, 2021.

1. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

i always love driving in bad weather, not just in this game but any game, be it a racing sim or a flight sim.

while i absolutely love how most cars feel during bad weather such as rain/wetness and transitioning from dry to wet and back.
    the way the water looks on the windshield (and also side windows) really does not look remotely good.

being in a full spray of 4-5 AI cars basically directly infront of you at 200kph and i can still see through my windshield just doesnt make sense.

while i dont really like how ACC plays, i have to give them credit on how the water/wetness on the windshield looks.

additionally the spray (water being kicked up from cars infront) seems to sometimes work and sometimes not work at all.
    eg: i am driving behind someone and see the visual spray effect on the back of the car and i am driving through it, but my windshield isnt getting wet (wipers are off).
    but then when i am much much further back, and the track is almost dry again, there is no spray effect from the car infront, and suddenly i am getting some spray on my windshield o_O

this is of no urgent importance, but it would be really cool to get some distortion effect whenever water alot of water is on it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. MasterLooser

here is one lap on bathurst in thunderstorm without having the wipers on

ACC in comparison (i am driving on keyboard in this)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Totally agree, the way the water appears after its been wiped away also in the same pattern is really bothersome. I really hope the creator of the amazing AC rain in the CSP addition now working on AMS2 will bring leaps and bounds of improvements in this area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

That looks really great. Only the blur is very bad to me. It looks like the heating on the front window is not on. So that you get condensation on the window. But for the rest it looks great.

5. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep the water fx could do with a major overhaul. I could just about deal with the implementation if it was applied logically across all the cars, but even 12 months in we have open wheelers / roofless cars with no rain on visors, tin tops with rain on visors, raindrops visible inside cars etc etc..

6. 2ndLastJedi

I think this makes it even more realistic, we just need a demister and possible failures of that and then the fogging starts :cool:

7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I feel the rain FX are the only real major graphics issue in AMS2. They are the same as in PC2 so I guess inherited from that. I really do hope Reiza give this some attention at some stage. Currently they have the dreaded PC2 worms.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I feel that this is more of a longer-term goal and that there are more immediate stuff that can be done to improve the game, but it would be amazing to have the rain effects that the assetto corsa csp previews have, although idk if our graphics cards would survive!

9. 2ndLastJedi

Shadows, you not bothered by the flickering shadows?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. F1Aussie

Haven't really noticed them recently, maybe just not paying attention to it. I guess I meant from the eye candy side of things

• Like Like x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

I play with clouds to lessen the shimmer and it makes a massive difference, really shows how nice and clean it can look. For me it's that shadow issue and then whatever it is on the back of cars at night when your headlights shine on the rear wing and diffuser, aliasing of reflections or something but it makes night driving look awful imo, then the rain issue described in this thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 2ndLastJedi

After doing some testing today back and forth with all the AA settings i find my current MSAA is best for my PC and visuals....The point now is to comment on the performance of rain vs dry in AMS2.

Dry running but cloudy i have 60fps no problem at about 65% GPU usage.

Now change the weather to rain and i quickly get 99% GPU usage and drop down to 35fps at the same section of Long Beach i just mentioned 65% GPU usage.
    So not only does the rain look meh it performance bad also.

Maybe i will just save AMS2 for dry running and play ACC for my rain driving because that seems to run perfectly on my system with no dips at all even in the middle of the night and storm.

ACC is pretty great but i would rather spend my time in AMS2 but i do enjoy me some wet driving.
    20210619150107_1.jpg 20210619165355_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. John Mendez

John Mendez New Member

Those flames every 2 seconds are really annoying and totally unrealistic It looks more a Nitro Circus event, than a race. Even that type of condensation is VERY exaggerated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

I think AC rain looks better than ACC one (referring to windshield) specially if you consider it moves based on car direction so yeah, would be cool if Reiza could give a look at it, on the other hand I understand this isn't a priority so I can wait :)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. F1Aussie

I think the AA has improved a little recently hasn't it?

16. 2ndLastJedi

Maybe yeah but if I play in clear conditions I find the shadows to be very distracting.

17. 2ndLastJedi

Agree but the water on the screen is nice even if it does move around too much.

18. MasterLooser

as i said in the original post, this isnt of super high priority or anything but would have gone hand in hand with the real weather stuff that was added in 1.2 and i bet ppl would have loved it.

ofc it has no real gameplay impact, and if u ask me i rather see a fat multiplayer update than better rain effects, aspecially cuz noone in multiplayer ever sets the weather to something else than sunny or cloudy -.-'

19. CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It also comes back much faster if you switch to the faster wiper speed which is quite funny when you notice it for the first time ;)