1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jimmy's latest AMS2 review

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by farcar, Jun 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeraxx

Zeraxx Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think that's the main problem around the whole discussion that @Renato Simioni was hinting at in his post, drivers are highly subjective, they all have working models of what the car is doing based off the feedback (feeling) they receive while driving. When that feedback jives with your mental model, obviously your going to come to the conclusion that the sim is realistic, and vice versa if the feeling doesn't jive with your mental model then your going to feel disconnected to the car because your not getting the cues you expected, which would naturally lead you to the conclusion that the sim is unrealistic. Again its all based off subjective experience, and why its much easier to go from sim to IRL racing, then it is to go from IRL racing to sim. (IRL drivers really struggle to change their mental model to be sight based, instead of acceleration sensing).

This is also why @Renato Simioni mentioned that when you go to professional race drivers, some will tell you the sim is amazing, while others will say the sim is ****, it's the same sim just two different drivers with two different mental models. What really matters when were talking about simulation is how close does the measured data in the simulation match the measured data IRL* (asterisk because we can never get truly 1:1 data). The question becomes, is there a high std deviation between simulated and irl data?

I think a lot of people in sim racing think they want a realistic simulator but would be perfectly happy with a simulator that just feels really good to drive instead of actually being realistic.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

This is getting quite annoying and very unfair. Yes maybe things are not perfect but what they are doing here is quite ugly imo.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Laurie Howard

Laurie Howard New Member

Completely different people work on the car designs and tracks than work on the physics. You cannot let 2/3 of your team sit idol waiting for a few others to do physics things. And the physics things don't pay for licences etc.

The bumpiness issue is one which annoys me to the hills. If you've ever been on a race track, ever driven in a race car or seen an onboard you know how bumpy they are. Cars move, pitch, bounce and shake. ACC, RF2 and Iracing do very little of any of these things. I watch a lot of onboard footage, I've also spent a good about of time on track with proper equipment and hitting a curb, going over a bump or turning too harshly bounces the car, you get body roll and rebounds push you back up again and maybe after a second it settles back down.

I completely agree that if I compare AMS 2 in full dogma fashion to ACC etc. then yes AMS 2 is bouncy. If I review my experiences or any onboard footages I can say with 100% certainty that bouncing is more realistic than no bouncing, super smooth, marble race tracks of most of the other sims. Does AMS 2 bounce a little too much at time, yep but again better than curbs just being a flat extentions to the track surface.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Casagrande (StockCar driver) enjoys AMS2 a lot and isn't paid for that lol

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  5. CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That's Ermin for you. Between that and his bigotry... a class act /s

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Billy Blaze

Billy Blaze Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This video is 100% pure, unadulterated cringe/clickbait. The thumbnail alone is enough to induce a state of perma-cringe, from which you are unlikely to recover.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
  7. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Active Member AMS2 Club Member

To me ACC was unplayable at launch and I did try with it, the Kunos FB's said it was great, the tyres were great, but there was no triple screen support at launch yada yada then Kunos dropped the 5 point tyres which sort of made a few people look silly, it took them imo 12 months before it was in a playable state for online leagues.

I like the way AMS2 is heading and it can only get better and my observations have been that it is gaining popularity by the day so something is going in the right direction, I try to ignore others opinions and form my own, I play all the sims (except iRacing) and they all have some elements that I like.

As I have said in a thread I made though I hope we get better streaming tools to stream live league races as that is one set of streams that are lacking on Youtube, all the streams you see are POV and mainly offline ones which doesn't really represent the sim fully as we have had some great online league races.

Keep up the good work Reiza, it's not there yet but it's getting there!

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

To bad it is not in English. :(

9. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

More simcade physics in real life:

Someone tell these guys that, according to Jimmy Broadbent, these cars are simply glued to the road and to stop spinning!

• Like Like x 1
  10. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Interestingly he drives a Praga and should know, that it can definetly happen, especially in slow corners. (Fast cornering is more glued with good balance and warm tires, of course)

11. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

He' probably just not driving on the limit :whistle:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Laurie Howard

Laurie Howard New Member

These prototypes must have forgot their loctite

13. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Or the magic of setups.

I don't want to comment on driving on the limit much though. It's so physically exhausting to actually drive it on somewhat decent pace, i could imagine. After all it's still a prototype-ish car and exploring it fully without having an expensive occurance with it justifies to hold back in some places.

14. Laurie Howard

Laurie Howard New Member

A lot of prototypes have ground effect aero and AMS 2 default settings are often too low or a bit soft of the car bottoms out, at which point ground effects stop working. Additionally, as with all aero cars you need the speed envelope right for the aero to work around corners. Too fast and it won't turn because the aero is pushing it down too much and too slow and you'll feel like your car has lost its wing.

Everyone should just stick to caterhams and we'll all be much happier

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

Indeed it's true ffb guide has not been updated in over a year.

But can you elaborate, what is broken about ingame damper?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

At 3.36 a small bump on the back of the car in front is enough to cause a near 360º spin, and yet I keep seeing sim racers complaining about the same thing happening in sims (not just AMS2) and saying that the contact physics are crap.

Just another example of how sometimes sims are unfairly judged for things that can also happen in real life...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This guy is disgusting, makes me feel like puking. This is the perfect example of click baiting and trying to get more subs etc... Let's piggy back on a popular YouTuber and draw his audience to my channel, shall we?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Remember Gamermuscle's video from some weeks ago where he gave several points for improvement? This is a guy that doesn't just jump in, does a single quick race and proceeds to draw negative conclusions, but one that you know has spend hours playing the game before he judges it and then mixes positives with negatives. All very good points and I agreed with most of his video when it came out.

Wish Jimmy would be as dedicated before he 'reviews' the game to a subscription base that's 10 time as big as GM's is...

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Wolf WolfZ AMS2 Club Member

Agree, some of these youtube people could do with some Humble Pie.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.