1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

^
    Race start wall and bifo issues..

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. Tiago Ribeiro

Tiago Ribeiro You must first finish AMS2 Club Member

Whoa. ‍:confused:

3. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.2.0.5
    Car: V8 Supercars
    Track: SIlverstone
    AI Strength: 90%
    AI Aggression: 0%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): exiting Luffield
    Session Distance: 5 laps
    Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    Setup: default
    Player Tyre: dry
    AI Tyre: dry
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race

Definitely agree with you with the V8 Supercars - they are massively faster than the player coming out of Luffield and along the next straight.

I even reduced AI to 90% speed & 0% aggression.

Coming out of that corner, I have my foot flat on the throttle. I am deliberately trying to block the AI, which slows them down temporarily, yet despite this loss of their momentum, they are still able pick up again and easily accelerate past me. And this is with them at 90% (also tried at 80% and they're still faster than me).

Edit: just to add that if I find AI too slow anywhere at Silverstone, I'd say they're slightly slow coming through Becketts onto Chapel (T13 to T14), just before the Hangar Straight. Also, a tad slow as they exit the final chicane (T17).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. selwyn gregory

selwyn gregory Member AMS2 Club Member

Had a race with GT5s around Silverstone National, 20 laps.
    Weather was Heavy rain, Sun, Sun, Overcast.
    They started ok and when the track dried they started to pit no issues so far.
    However at the end of the race I noticed they had pitted twice and a few three times.
    Once would have been enough but three times was odd, I didn't see any crashes so I don't think it was for damage.

5. sampopel

Car: GT4 Camaro
    Track: Laguna Seca
    AI Strength: 95%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): final corner (T11)

The problem seems to be when an AI car drives over the sausage on the inside kerb of the final corner - it causes the car to slow right down and then get stuck at the corner for quite a few seconds. As it is freeing itself from the gravel trap, it seems to be trying to turn left into the wall and continues to do this for about 20 metres, before eventually breaking free from whatever bug is possessing it. I had it happen to 2 different AI cars in one race, both at the same corner but on different laps.

6. sampopel

Car: various
    Track: Donington
    AI Strength: 100%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): McLean's (T7)

AI are always a little slow through this corner, making it a bit easy to overtake them along the short straight to Coppice (T8), sometimes 2 or 3 at a time, if they're in a bunch.

7. JULIO CESAR ALVES SARAIVA

JULIO CESAR ALVES SARAIVA New Member

8. sampopel

A general comment/request about some of the cars that are unstable upon contact from the AI. I'd be interested to hear if others have experienced the same problem, or if they disagree with the following.

Certain cars, such as the Copa Chevette and Gol Ca, seem to be much more likely to be sent into a spin or punted off the track under contact by the AI. The AI seem quite aggressive in these cars (perhaps deliberately so to reflect the real life sport?) and it makes contact almost unavoidable for the duration of a race.

For example, at Curvelo, turns 2 and 5, the AI will often cut across the grass on the inside trying to overtake you and often as not, they hit the you, sending your car into a spin. Because, with the Chevette and Gol, the AI cars are much more stable than the player's car, they simply brush off the contact and race off into the distance. Meanwhile, you lose about 10-15 seconds trying to get your car back onto the road and facing the right direction, effectively ending your race, ie. in short races, you will now finish last, so there's little point continuing with the race.

The key point is that after the same thing happens multiple races in a row, you just give up on the car altogether as being essentially unusable against the AI.

However, some cars (eg. Ginetta GT5) seem much more stable under contact from the AI, and the same sort of contact results in just a bit of of a jolt, with neither car sent flying, so the racing can continue with minimal loss of time. This enables racing that is great fun.

So can something be done to make the Chevette and Gol (there are probably numerous other cars with the same problem) have the same stability under contact from the AI as cars like the Ginetta GT5?

Incidentally, I've noticed that turning on Stability Control pretty much solves the problem with these cars, but it also adversely affects the handling and driving enjoyment. Perhaps the solution lies in enabling a stability control than only affects car behaviour during collisions with AI.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  9. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

I find that the AI is way too slow in some tracks (or possibly all of them, but have only tried a few) since the 1.2 update.

I'm usually a very slow driver who puts AI at about 90-95 in ACC and AMS1 just to be able to keep up with them, but with AI at 100 on Spielberg on AMS2, with the GT3 class, I was the fastest car on track... and I was doing 1.30s average lap times, which is not fast, so I can imagine an actual good sim racer will find the AI useless even at 120 right now. They where braking way too much for corners.

Also noticed the AI has some issues going side by side with players on corners. Often they will either push you inside till either they hit you or you have to go almost into the grass to avoid them, or, if the player is on the outside, the AI sometimes will still go wide and hit you or force you to go even wider.

10. Pales

Pales Member

I couldn't agree more with the above. We should not have to increase the AI beyond 100% (which is presumably when they start cheating) in order to have a competitive experience.

The AI at 100% are VERY slow. Having said that, it would probably help if we could pick each driver in the gird and adjust their relative skill.

11. Nats

Nats Member

• Car / Track used: Stock Car 2021 / Goiania
    • AI Strength setting: 78
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): First Corner
    • AI Aggression setting: 50
    • Session Distance:
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Dry
    • Player Tyre: Dry
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player):
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race) Practice
    The modern 2021 Stock Cars are really slow around the first corner of Goiania - I am getting 2 secs lead on them over the whole course and I am not a massively fast driver

12. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

Version: V.1.2.0.8
    Car: Sprintcar
    Track: Kyalami modern
    AI Strength: 95%
    AI Aggression: 50%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific):
    Session Distance: 20 min Q / 15 laps race
    Setup: Custom
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race vs Quali (in custom championship

AI is still faster in the race than they are in the quali

Edit:
    AI does seem to be consistent over most of the track. Except maybe for the second to last corner, where they are just a tad slow(er than I am)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  13. John Eagle

John Eagle New Member

Car: GTE
    Track: Daytona & Laguna Seca
    AI Strength: Predominantly 90%
    AI Aggression: 50%/60%/80%
    Weather when the issue was observed: clear/dry

Either AI is worse or just as bad. Starting race on Laguna Seca almost every time an AI hits the left side wall. On both tracks AI still seems all over the place at random times (bumping the back of me, trying to take the inside line when there isn't and going half off track, bumping into each other, etc.). I have these AI issues on a few other tracks as well.

Before V1.2 released I stopped playing due to AI frustrating me basically every single time I played. Came back for 1.2, same issue and can only notice a small improvement in AI since (only some tracks). Can't seem to go a single race without getting frustrated by AI in GT4/3/E races. I find I spend more time being generous to the AI to avoid accidents than actually racing, get knocked around anyway. I don't want a hot lap sim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. sampopel

hmmm.....for me, I can feel a noticeable improvement in the AI now with regards to avoiding contact when they're trying to overtake on the inside. In my post of a few days ago, I was complaining that the AI always take me out in the slower Brazilian tintops (Chevettes & Gols) at Curvelo - I literally couldn't finish a 5 lap race without being spun out by them. But now, I'm completing races with virtually no incidents at all. I'm assuming that's the latest update at work and not just luck/coincidence.

I also find that the races against the AI in the GT3s and 4s are very clean for me. Have you tried setting the aggression to 0%?

15. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

GTE race at Brasilia, first round of custom championship with real weather 10x time. The AI is not very well balanced, they are super fast in some corners and are pulling away easily on the straights, I even had to drop the AI speed by 5% to be competitive. Got a couple of whacks from behind as well.

16. Kim

Kim Mr. Andersen in SIM AMS2 Club Member

V1.2.0.8

stock car 2020 championship.
    length of championship 1oo%
    AI settings 100
    AI agression 86
    Goiânia
    Toyota stock car 2020
    medium cloud
    practise

Ai changes lanes behind the player, even when they are 20-50 m. Behind, as if they trey to avoid/overtake.
    (it's seams like it starts after 10-15 min. in practise.) Edit after player pit's

17. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Car: Formula Trainer
    Track: Brands Hatch Indy (although a common theme throughout)
    AI Strength: 105
    AI Aggression: 100
    Weather when the issue was observed
    : light clouds
    Ai are faster in the race than in Qualification, by approx half a second a lap. This results in permanently defensive races.

Edit, just to pad out some more info-
    Fuel load was unchanged, same with setups etc between the sessions. Effectively the same setup for both. Multiple installation laps run in qualifying to ensure everything was up to temperature, pressure etc. My fastest lap in the race was a tenth or so faster than my qualifying time, the ai closest to me (a group of 3) fastest lap in race was half a second or so faster than my pole time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Kim

V.1.2.0.8

f3 brasil 2017 championship
    AI settings 100
    AI agression 86
    Curitiba
    F309
    light clout and Heavy clout
    practise

Ai changes lanes behind the player, even when they are 20-50 m. Behind, as if they trey to avoid/overtake.
    (it's seams like it starts after 10-15 min. in practise.) Edit after player pit's

19. Kim

V.1.2.0.8

international GT championship
    AI settings 100
    AI agression 86
    Bathurst
    AMG-GT3
    Heavy cloud
    practise

20. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Car: Formula V10 gen 2
    Track: Imola
    AI Strength: 91%
    AI Aggression: 80%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): everywhere
    Session Distance: 10 minutes

The AI are way too fast out of every corner, they crawl into the corners then get a rocket boost out of them. If the player tries to match their acceleration, they will spin out.