1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shadow anti-aliasing - best options to improve AA?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Steve Lewis, Jun 21, 2021.

1. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry for that :oops:, Already solved?
    Perhaps this helps, delete Documents\Automobilista 2\graphicsconfigdx11.xml
    and let the game make a new one

2. jimortality

jimortality Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It's not now, did a quick file integrity check and all good in the hood. I run triples with vsync but just had a look at SS ultra and SMaa low and fps dropped from my normal 60 to 57-58. Then tried with SS high and smaa medium and still 57-58. I'll go back to MSAA as I like to have 60 in triples. Maybe my eyes aren't as sensitive and some of yours?

3. jimortality

Yes all solved thanks. I'll remember that folder though If it happens again thanks

• Like Like x 1
  4. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

graphicsconfigdx11.xml also has a neat sharpening filter.. I use 1.1..

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Still won't help, have tried it and it still tanks performance from memory.

6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Glad its sorted.
    Maybe its your 24" monitors having better PPI than mine that helps.
    I found SS just on low with no FX/SMAA looked as good as MSAA medium but substantially better at night. But yeah it did drop my frames.
    So your 6800XT wont do much more than 60fps? at what resolution?

7. 2ndLastJedi

I'm fine with 60fps, if the latest and greatest ($4000aud) GPU wont do 60 at 5760x1080 with high SS we are doomed or Reiza need to really work on optimization.
    Your a local, you wanna drop your 3090 off for me to test :whistle::p

8. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ha, then I would have nothing, I have no backup card as I sold my 1080ti just after I got this one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jimortality

My 6800XT will do between 100 and140 ish all on Ultra that will go at Daytona but I limit it to 60 with vsync because with triples I find smoother is better for me.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Coanda

@2ndLastJedi - Some tests I just did from AMS2 settings..

MSAA High (Old default)
    MSAA Low + SS ON (Low) - A slight improvement over MSAA High however this comes at a 12 FPS performance hit and the visual & performance results were better for SS Low + SMAA Ultra therfore this option is not worth it.
    SS Low + SMAA Ultra (New default) - Similar FPS to default (-5 FPS) with a improvement in AA, Shadow AA and opponent AA for night racing.. This will be my new default.
    SS Medium + SMAA Ultra - Not enough anti aliasing improvement for the 30-40 FPS hit.
    SS High + SMAA Ultra - Starting to see the SS work here however it is a 50-60 FPS hit.
    SS Ultra + SMAA Ultra - Although good improvement in tree shadow aliasing for clear days for the 90-100 FPS performance hit I expected a lot better overall..

Thanks for getting me to retry this.. It's been a while so I am guessing I tested it with my old hardware.. :)

MSAA High (Old default)
    [​IMG]

SS Low + SMAA Ultra (New default) - Bottom edge of the 45 degree silver panels covering the steps on the right hand side are much improved as well as the cockpit, opponents, grass, supercheap signs etc..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Coanda

I forgot to mention that I will stick with MSAA High during daytime racing and SS Low + SMAA Ultra for the night stuff. For whatever reason the SS Low + SMAA Ultra settings create a lot of shimmering in the day which is most noticeable on the kerbs of Laguna.. For the heck of it I tested SS Ultra and although the aliasing was good the kerbs shimmered more than MSAA High..

Something I haven't tested in a while is down-scaled custom resolutions.. A job for tomorrow..

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. jimortality

What If it's a day night race? :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Coanda

haha then i'm f@#ked.. I was also thinking about that conundrum too.. I would have to go with MSAA High as the daytime shimmering was pretty bad with the SS + SMAA..

14. jimortality

I've just tried SS low and SMAA ultra and I did notice some shimmering on the glass in pit lane at Imola but not enough to spoil it. I then upped it to SS medium and that was fine in daytime with 22 AI. I then kept those settings to run at night with full rain and it dropped around 54-56 around the start of the race but once the field spread out it was 60. I then tried full dark and full rain with 22 AI with SS back on low and SMAA ultra and got 60 all the way round, very impressed I was. I always use vsync for my triples. I've always used MSAA high but I think my new default will be the same as yours now. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. jimortality

I think each person has different sensitivity when it comes to AA. I'll hammer Euro Truck 2 and that has the worse shimmering in the world lol so maybe that's got me accustomed to it.

16. Coanda

I just found a better setup for me.. MSAA High (AMS2) + FXAA (Nvidia Inspector). FXAA in AMS2 can not be enabled if MSAA is enabled therefore doing this at the driver level works a treat..

Nvidia Inspector
    - AA Mode: Application Enhanced
    - AA Line Gamma: Enabled
    - FXAA: Enabled

Night time aliasing is slightly better than the SS Low + SMAA Ultra settings (a few posts back) and I am getting better FPS performance and the day time shimmering issue at Laguna is not as big of a problem as SS is not being used.. FXAA adds blur however I could bump the AMS2 sharpening filter up a point to try and compensate.. Ideally it would be handy if both MSAA and FXAA could be enabled together in AMS2 as the results maybe different..

- Look at the black duct on the dash, bottom edge of the 45 degree silver panels covering the steps on the right hand side, the cockpit dash buttons and the opponent vehicles have all improved..
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. 2ndLastJedi

This has been my default for ever. My GPU just can't deal with the SS performance hit :( I'm right in the limit and past it in raining conditions, during the day I'm golden no matter what but something has changed with rain, because it is tanking performance at some tracks to the point Velopark I'm getting 35 fps in the pits and this track has little to look at.:confused:
    Yeah so after last night's running I'm sticking with MSAA and FXAA driver level also until Reiza iron out performance impact on rain.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Coanda

I wonder if Reiza can implement TXAA in the future..?

• Like Like x 1
  19. 2ndLastJedi

I've been asking for that since pC2 days and made that AA thread back in 2019 asking the same thing.

I tested that line gamma setting in nV Inspector, never changed that setting before and not sure if it's placebo but I now have that enabled and lowered in game MSAA to low with FXAA, MFAA in NVCP with enhanced and it looks pretty good and I've gained some performance.
    This is my new default.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Nice, I never look at the NVCP, perhaps I should.. later today, I’m definitely take a look at the settings.