1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TC and ABS as numbers not as sliders

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by EF_Neo1st, May 20, 2021.

1. EF_Neo1st

EF_Neo1st New Member

It never came up to my mind but a friend on Steam got it (and something I never noticed neither saw anyone saying a thing about)... TC and ABS at AMS2.

TC and ABS at AMS2 are by sliders not by numbers (like 1/11 to 11/11 numbers as in ACC and other sims, it is from 0% to 100% slider at AMS2 for all cars that have TC and ABS at setup) . . . coming to think of it, I think in real life they dont use sliders (even if the numbers represent specific chosen slider options) but I think Reiza could make it as per what is in real life and cars regulations.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Fully agree, waiting for this badly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I prefer working with actual slip percentages and abs detection strength. Its more informative and above board.

4. mansell

mansell Member

as i wrote in another thread, there is actually an indication for TC and ABS in GT3 cars dashes. ie in porsche GT3 these numbers are TC 10 / ABS 8
    bad thing is these numbers are wrong, makes no sense and they never change whatever setting you using in setup (percentages) or onboard (high, low, off). even worst thing IMO is the exactly same wrong figures (8 and 10 for the 911) existing in PC2 too!
    feels like a simple copy/paste...

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. steelreserv

What matters most is they work though right? Linking the setup to the dashboard UI would be nice as well.

6. mansell

mansell Member

presets also works (better IMO). plus is what exists in real life. trying to accurate as possible simulate real life racing is what the goal should be.
    "laserscanning" the cars too ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelreserv

In real life, the "numbers" mean something to someone though right? Somewhere down the line an engineer has to know what "7" means for TC. Here they just tell us 31%.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  8. steelreserv

ABS:
    100% = 10 = Max ABS Detection
    90% = 9
    80%= 8
    etc.

Traction Control:
    1% = 10 = Max Traction Control
    11% = 9
    21% = 8
    etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mansell

mansell Member

if i set ABS in 84% in madness engine that means 8.4 preset in real life GT3 cars? im a bit more confused now TBH...

why they tell us 70%? can not just tell us what the engineer tells to his driver in real life?
    and if not, why?
    is this percentage a reiza's choice? if yes, based where?
    why do you think they came up with this percentage and for what reason they chose this instead of an accurate simulation of real GT3 cars TC and ABS presets?
    these are my (rhetorical) questions.
    if mathieu jaminet want to drive his car in rF2 he will go in setup, he will set the TC in preset 3, ABS in preset 4 and green flag go go go.
    he will not see any TC or ABS indicators in his dash, but maybe its better to see nothing than to see fake cosmetic indications.
    if he want to do it in AMS2 (or pCARS2) he will search forums to see what the percentages and high low off actually means (he will maybe try the bar to psi conversion tool too...)
    he will find a workaround im sure, but if you ask him he will tell you this is not what he have in his real car. i hope i made myself clear and i'm out
    thanks for the conversions steel! :)

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. steelreserv

11. Jascha

Jascha New Member

Its not an accurate simulation to change TC % while driving.
    Its okay when the weather is static but I want to assign Map, TC, TCC, ABS to my rotaries. Its crucial when the weather changes.
    Hope it comes soon

It is also not a value which is in shared memory/ telemetry. So my steering-wheel dashboard shows N/A

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. mansell

mansell Member

well i dont know about the rotaries and shared memory, but im glad to hear in steelreserv's preview vid that this update will bring TC and ABS numeric presets to AMS2 too.
    im also glad that reiza cares to be as accurate as posible to real life cars simulation.

@steelreserv i know you find the percentage system more handy and usefull but i am more than sure that you will adapt to what the manufactures (and sim devs) choose for their cars (patrick long already does it succesfully IRL)
    thanks for the vid mate ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I certainly hope it won't be like this because this would make all settings except 8 and 9 quite useless.

14. steelreserv

I do. Once it's in the car, the practical application of it will be apparent. However, if its just a number floating in space on the setup screen, we won't know the actual wheel slip % so I'll have to test the presets...

15. EF_Neo1st

EF_Neo1st New Member

I had not tested all the TC and ABS values untill recently, and TC dont seem to be working "as intended" (at least not as I understand).
    The most notorious difference is with TC 10, where it cuts so much the throttle (I was using full throttle but it seem like I was flickering throttle at around 50%) it look like Stability Control:

In comparison to when I used TC 9 and TC 0, TC 0 the car was not pivoting so much with throttle, with TC 9 it was doing a bit better allowing more throttle pivoting:

I know I made the videos before this last update, but it remains the same after the update.
    As I dont own a GT3 car or car with TC and ABS, my bases of reference are "knowledge" (how I expect it should work according to what I already read and saw of real life drivers talking about) and from other simulators. At ACC I barely can do a clean lap under 1:28 with the Porsche with TC 0 and ABS 0 where at AMS2 I could do 1:23.something without much problem (also the leaderboard times with low 1:20 and 1:19 too, lap times I could not find times nearly the same in real life or other simulators).

I would like to know the opinions of others on this and if more people are having TC the same at the GT3s (at GT4s it look to work a bit better and more intuitive in relation to what I expect from low and high TC values).
    Before the TC and ABS update the cars were behaving differently (and more accordingly to what I find at other simulators), before the TC and ABS update the Porsche was the hardest GT3 for me (as it is at other sims) and my best time was a 1:25.0 with Merc using default setup, still, if the cars are to behave more like that I am fine with it, just would like to know more people opinion about it as, to my understanding, that are some stuff wrong with TC at least at the GT3s (and if I am wrong at how I expect TC and GT3s to behave and at what I tried to explain and someone can explain better I am open for the explanation and to understand what is happening).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. mansell

mansell Member

tortellinii has left the chat

17. EF_Neo1st

EF_Neo1st New Member

I said the leaderboard times at 1:19, 1:20, not that I did 1:19 and 1:20.
    I did 1:22.999 (what already tell that is something wrong as at ACC I can do at best a 1:24.0 and before the TC and ABS update best I could do at AMS2 was a 1:25.0 some months ago and with the Porsche I usually was some 2s or more slower than my best time and without much consistency, it was a hard car to me at any sim in comparison to other GT3s, including AMS2, and it still is at ACC, still now I could pull this 1:22.999 at AMS2, what still around some 3s off from the best time, as around what it was before with the 1:25.0, that 1:25 was some 3s to 3.5s slower than the best time).

I am comparing my results through 2 sims as before these results were very similar.
    The 1:19 and 1:20 times at the top of leaderboard I used as example as, as far as I know, the best time for GT3s in real life is a 1:22.something (as far as I know) and at ACC is 1:21.4 and I remember the best times at leaderboard were not that low (but I also had tried GT3s at Brands some months before the update, so maybe in this time just what happened is that the true aliens joined the time trial there and made faster times at the leaderboard than what was some months ago).

I just tried to explain here to check if more people are getting the same with TC for the GT3s, also if someone else feel like the cars are being "faster" or "with more grip" there too (at least at Brands) as it was not like that before the update.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Putting TC to 10 certainly does odd things. Not quite sure what's going on under the hood there but it doesn't sit well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jefka

Jefka New Member

I can't really agree here. It is exactly this kind of stuff that makes AMS2 soooo confusing at times. I should not have to doubt the information the game gives me, it really takes away from the experience to me and I know of quite a few other people who feel the same and get frustrated by stuff like this. I have huge faith in Reiza and I'm certain they will eventually fix stuff like this but for me the "as long as it works" argument isn't good enough ;)

Basically, with my lack of technical knowledge I need consistent and correct information :)

Edit: woops that comment triggered me but it's old :D Anyways, new update and stuff certainly helps, just need to have the onboard adjustments to be similar to garage in cars where that's allowed/possible irl.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

tc and abs needs a bit of rework, it's still the same system pcars 2 had which wasn't great, the in car option of low, high, off just doesn't make sense at all

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2