1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamepad Support - Analysis, Suggestions, Wishes

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GTAce, Sep 2, 2020.

1. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

In rF1/AMS1 I set steering wheel range to 300 degrees in controller settings (in rF1 you change this by editing the controller.ini file), in car setup I usually start by setting steering lock to 15 degrees than make adjustments if necessary depending on the track I'm racing at. Steering wheel range 300/steering lock 15 = steering ratio 20:1.
    In PC1/PC2 there's no option to adjust steering wheel range & steering lock separately, there's only option to adjust steering ratio in each car's setup, so I generally start by setting steering ratio to 20:1 and then make adjustments as needed depending on the track.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

[A GamePadFriedly Cars List]
    pad_setting_base.png

Steam Gamepad support off

• Ultima - Base Setting
    • SpeeRace -
    • F-Classic Gen 2 M1
    • P4 Class - Steering lock 25
    • P3 Class - Steering lock 25
    • V10 gen 1 - Steering lock 23/25
    • V10 Gen 2 - Steering lock 21
    • Formula Reiza - Steering lock 21
    • and coming soon

3. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Low steering sensitivity is strange in ME but if you like, it's fine then and you won't have much problems with oversensitivity.

Why you have gas/brake so unlinear?

4. Beccobunsen

Well, is unclear what sensitivity mean. I tryed varius setting, many times, with many car. This setting Work for me, for some car.
    I someone have a settings true/technical explication (or other sim equivalent) and what the damn slide doing for sure...better :)

5. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

What I know 50 is linear. That means it's rather OK but a bit much sensitive (1:1 mapping). In fact, it could be called linearity but it's practically sensitivity so no problem and it's called linearity in some games like in CM games.

You probably want linear pedals but bit slightly lower settings is good too.

The problem with ME is what curve they created for nonlinear settings. ISIMotor games looks very similar to each other. If you go lower your curve starts to rise slower and ends faster. That's exactly what you want because you need very precise steering for a car. That's done with small moves around center. And lower sensitivity helps you with moves around center.

ME has probably some strange math there. If you go lower, it starts slower like it should but it creates strange insensitivity with some position skipping. And even if this is OK it's still strange if you go up. The curve is somehow strange and I don't know why. It's not unplayable but it doesn't feel like lower sensitivity in any other game with "normal" math.

That's the reason I use 50 for sensitivity in ME games. It's a bit too much but it's 1:1 which is very playable. AMS2 improves this numbers with steering lock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Beccobunsen

Im testing with some success on gt3 steering 45, speed 85, dumping 70. But is Human adaptation to the controller.
    The steering is not uniform on the intere analog range of the stick:
    {0;5%} Dead
    {2;25%} What the hell, I am Automan
    {25;60%} something
    {60;100%} let me finish from 400º to 500º.

7. FS7

Whenever people post their controller settings imo it would be helpful if they specify whether they are a tap steer type of player or if they are a precision steering type of player, and which driving aids they have enabled (if any). Generally tap steering players prefer lower sensitivity, higher speed sensitivity, and higher damping, while precision steering players generally prefer higher sensitivity, lower speed sensitivity, and either lower or no damping/filtering.
    Iirc Ian Bell from SMS mentioned in the PCars forums that whenever he played PCars with controller he used tap steering and that the default controller settings in PCars2 are more catered towards tap steering players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Beccobunsen

I use tap steering on high speed and precision on turn or chicanes.. because the speed change the response too. I cant use the same motion.

9. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

Very good comment! I thought there is no tapping without helpers. I don't use tapping anywhere but you are right, tappers would need what you said. I use steering like a wheel so no damping at all and speed sensitivity is not big issue if normal sensitivity is not high.

No aids or TC and ABS at all. Just pure driving. Some cars are rather hard for sure with it.

Try lower speed sensitivity. 80+ is very high and it could help but limits you a lot.

edit:
    In ME for tappers should work very high sensitivity with very high speed sensitivity, something like 90/95. It's insensitive because of speed sens. but it's very precise because of sens.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  10. FS7

Got AMS2 today on the Steam sale, drove some laps around Interlagos with GT3s, GT4s, and some open wheel cars.
    I'm using the same controller setting I use in PCars 2 & AMS1, and I used default setup for all cars. Even with controller damping set to 0 there's still that feeling that the game is filtering my inputs and causing some input lag just like in PCars1/Pcars2. I also found odd that there's the option to adjust steering lock in car setup but no option to adjust steering wheel range (which is available in AMS1 in controller options and in car setup).
    I'm going to try out more car classes tomorrow, but I wonder if the lack of option to disable all aids/filters/dampers and have raw input is a design choice by Reiza or a limitation of the Madness engine.

11. Beccobunsen

Opposite lock help?

12. GTAce

GTAce New Member

Uninstalled the game for now, getiing too many pCARS flashbacks.
    The input needs to be changed drastically for me to gain any interest again.
    I shouldn't need to tweak my controller more than actually drive.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. FS7

My Xbox 360 controller settings, precision steering:

14. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

I think it's real. ME settings are bad (it should be possible to change it). PC1 has lowest input lag. PC2 is filtered mess but it's rather playable. AMS2 si probably very similar to PC2 or part of the "tuning" was even higher filtering. It's not necessary, it's a sim and we need as raw input as possible. Steering rate must be adjustable. Current settings are not enough to me even I like the game, it's pretty good game.

And we have rather same settings which is good because our taste should be similar.

• Like Like x 2
  15. FS7

Besides the controller issues there seems to be something odd with the car handling too, most cars have this weird tendency to snap oversteer on corner entry, I have to be careful with my steering otherwise the car might spin as soon as I turn into the corner. On all the cars I tested so far I only used default setup, and this oversteer on corner entry can vary from one car to another, but if you combine this handling issue with the controller issue that can make some cars very tricky to drive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ATSS

ATSS Member

Yep this corner entry thing is very very tricky.

Daytona turn 1 is a good example. The car sometimes just snaps while you brake and try to steer at the same time.
    But the thing you mentioned is there in high speed chincanes too. I struggle a lot with those. Even the GT cars are not too stable with low steering lock settings.

17. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

That reminds me. Do you feel some "jumping" while hard cornering? It's like the lose and gain grip in some steps/jumps. I liked it very much before but it's a bit strange and I thought it's because I steer too much with my gamepad. But it looks like part of steering. Is it only my gamepad feeling?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ATSS

ATSS Member

Somewhat similar feeling here.

19. FS7

This is going to sound crazy but I tried doing some laps with speed sensitivity set to 0 and somehow I was going something like 1 second faster than with my previous controller setting. There's still a bit of that "game correcting my inputs" feel, but somehow the cars I tried feel more predictable.

What I noticed with the cars I tried so far is that generally you don't want to be too aggressive with steering on corner entry, jerking the analog stick to the side = spin. Front tyres seems to lock up too easily with some cars but that can be solved by me getting off the brakes a bit earlier & more gently and/or adjusting brake bias (I haven't done much testing with setups, I've been driving mostly with default setups). Brake in a straight line (maybe use some trail braking depending on the car), gently turn the analog stick to start turning in and gradually increase the amount of steering as needed. The issue with corner entry vary from one car to another and imo it seems more related to car handling/physics than controller settings.

It probably has to do with the built-in filters & "game correcting my inputs" feel that I mentioned before, as well as with the game physics & car handling.

Of the cars I tried so far I liked driving F-V10, GT3 & GT1. F-Reiza & modern Brazilian Stockcars are somewhere in the middle. F-Ultimate & GT4 handle like crap imo.
    Post which cars you guys liked or disliked so far, whether you use default or custom setups, your controller settings. Maybe we can help each other out by trying out different car/track combos.

20. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

I would say it's the physics. Cars behave a bit strange in this game but it's pretty cool. I am not sure what is real but car could jump a bit but I've never seen it in any game.

Zero speed sensitivity is possible for sure. In PC it's a bit problematic but in AC it's rather normal and playable. In AMS2 there could be some modifier like Renato said. So maybe zero is not effectively possible.

I came from consoles and mostly because of AMS2. So I bought AMS1 and AMS2 and was extremely happy. After PC on consoles it was like a dream. AMS1 still has better controls but AMS2 is not bad at all with steer lock and everything else there is amazing.

My PC settings is steering sens. 50 (linear). Speed sens. as low as possible but usually about 65. Pedals linear with full range (sometimes 40 for better start). Damping zero because it only adds some lag. Vibration zero because it's much better then. The same for AMS2.

No aids at all, just auto gear and clutch usually.

I liked every car I tried. It was in February. I was rather happy with the game and still I am. But in May I give another chance to rF2. Since then I am lost because there is no reason to play AMS2 anymore. It's so good on a gamepad, it's unbelievable good. I am not sure why and how but it's different league. So since then I don't play AMS2 anymore but always test new patches and I am ready for more. Until gamepad controls have ISIMotor quality like AMS1 had, it's hardly any competition from handling perspective. Still don't know what is the secret behind so awesome controls. Probably physics.

If I should choose one game after rF2 it would be AMS2 to me because the game is really great.