1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. R00bDriver

R00bDriver Member

Hello lovely knowledgeable people!

Just bought AMS 2 and am using one of the attached custom FFB files for my Fanatec CSW 2.5, which has drastically improved the FFB and overall car feeling.

One thing I'd like to know:

During long straights at high speed the wheel oscillates a fair amount, left and right, almost as if the wheels are unbalanced or tyres under inflated.
    How do I turn that effect down?

Currently I've increased damping in Fanalab settings, which I assume, dampens all effects which I don't really want to do.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks very muchly

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  3. Richard appleyard

Richard appleyard AKA Neworder

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

We have come to conclusions. I was about to post the file, when Karsten posted the 4.6 file with the fix on the forum. I reload the values. I do the very limited tuning. I test everything again with more cars and I can only say one thing, it is the most beautiful file ever!!! :p

I'm just a little ashamed to have put my name in tuned file because I really changed very little ... great job guys!!! ;)

NAME: Silver Raw - rFuktor 4.6 (Fix) - Momentum Rack 6.3 - Tuned by Stakanov for Logitech and LowEnd Wheels (G920 and G923/G29/G27/G25/DFGT)
    In game setting select "Custom" with this starting value for Logitech:
    GAIN 95* - LFB 45 - FX 65 or 55 (to taste) - DP (PowerSteering) 00.
    *Then, in the car setting, use +/- % of Gain for car to taste!!!

I almost always choose the values of the sliders in order to find an average that works possibly with most cars, I don't like hitting myself for every single car and when I launch the game, I start and have fun adapting the GAIN to the fly.

GAIN high LFB medium FX medium, this at the weak logitech base allows body, strength (within the limits of the possible), decent center but not too high to create my hated oscillation with the all formula cars (it remains only present in the Ultimate and V10 formula).
    DP (PowerStering), it is from a couple of files that I find it not very useful to raise it even if with high GAIN, and if it happens I never go beyond 10-20, but regardless, I could also leave it at 0 and find an alternative solution by balancing the gain and lfb sliders ... is something detectable also on DD steering wheels?? If this were the case, one could think of making the power steering a variable in the file ... and returning the DAMPING cursor, an item that cannot be set as a variable in this last file ... what do you think?? :whistle:
    But I don't know what changes you have in mind for the future and therefore my reasoning may not make sense!!! ;)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Is this file also for the CSW V2.5?

6. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

When I was using my CSW v2.5 I always used the high end file and it felt great. Give it a go and see is the only way to know.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dan Elyard

Dan Elyard New Member

this feels great on my 2.5 thanks for sharing

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

9. Sundaygloom

Sundaygloom New Member

I like the feeling of 4.6 overall on my trusty old CSW 2.0. Just personal preference I like to feel the curbs a bit more, would I just increase "Kerb_bump_scale" to do this or how would I go about this.
    Also when centered and going straight I'm getting some light ffb noise or vibration, is there something I can do to tune that out.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  10. Karsten Hvidberg

For the curbs, yes, either Kerb_bump_scale or the curb surface scale, depending on which part of them you want stronger.

Reg. the noise this could be the road texture or micro bumps, so try lowering those. If that's not it, then maybe lowering Lfb helps.

11. Marnus Zwarts

Marnus Zwarts Boost Creep AMS2 Club Member

Hey man, change this to 0.001:
    (large_track_bump_scale 0.05)
    The Fanatec damper settings have no effect (none that I can feel anyway) and remember the in game damper is for power steering

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. BD992000

BD992000 New Member

Hi,
    I tried AMS2 again after a longer absence, but the ffb was not so good.
    So I tried your custom file. For my G29 it was a desaster :-(. The wheel felt very loose around the center. Very intensive rattling with ever so slytly touching any curb. No feeling for the car (I tried Formula Vee, Ginetta and even a AMG GT3).
    I had to change the custom file and the follwing changes at least fixed the issue with the loose feeling in the center:

(tighten_range 0.22000) #Use for lower end wheel bases.
    (tighten_falloff 0.02500) #Use for lower end wheel bases.

But over all .... the ffb seem to be broken for me :-(. The default ffb ist meh and with custom files it ist better but not really exciting.
    Any ideas?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Stakanov

Strange, among other things on this file I have not changed practically anything, however try again maybe looking for your values and your tastes, reset everything, raise the Gain to your liking until you find your resistance, raise the LFB until you find the your center, add the desired effects and if you think you need them turn up the DP ... let us know your value in game!!!

EDIT @BD992000
    If you entered those tightening values in my file (0.22 and 0.025) you were wrong because in my file I use a different line of code to manage it than Karsten's original one ... if you did this it explains your term disaster!!! I ask you to retry the file without changing the tightening and if you need more center to raise only the LFB ... I am waiting for your values in the game!!!!

Regardless, in the meantime I called a friend with the G29 to test it all is ok, it only detects the usual problem of this wheel (which is similar to the G27 and G25), i.e. the greater dead zone that in these wheels varies from 21% to 16% of the forces close to position 0, the G920 instead has a dead zone of only 0.5% ... your value are correct but insert in my file are wrong, is correct in the Karsten's file!!

14. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just curious: Which car+track combos are being used to develop and tune the high-end files?

15. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

It varies, we try to test a lot of combinations, some times when there is less time we leave out sh1t cars like mini and some like M1 are hard to make feel good when it just drives weird :)

But generally smoother and bumpier tracks, low DF high DF formula cars, GTE/GT3/GT1 etc.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm also using a G29 and the FFB doesn't feel like that.

The first thing to confirm is that FFB is good for you in other sims? This at least rules out the problem with your wheel or driver.

2 other suggestions:

(1) I have had occasions where the FFB in AMS2 goes really bad, very loose and minimal sensations. I've found that this often happens if I've just played another sim (particularly AMS1) and then gone straight into AMS2 afterwards. But if I reboot my PC, the FFB is good again. So I often reboot my PC before playing AMS2 to ensure RAM etc is cleared of anything that might cause conflict.

(2) The other thing to try is delete your folder: C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Automobilista 2.
    Then restart AMS2 and it will automatically recreate that folder from scratch. You will need to reconfigure your controls in the game but this has solved such issues for me (and many others) previously.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BD992000

BD992000 New Member

Hi there,
    thanks for your reply.
    Which file from "Karsten" do you mean?
    I used your file from post #3244. When I change the mentioned values, the wheel feels tighter in the center. No big dead zone. But over all, the ffb has too much "rattle", more like vibration actuators in a gamepad then nice ffb of a wheel.
    In other Sims like ACC and R3E the ffb is fine. The G29 feels like a far more expensive device there, if you understand what I mean.
    In AMS2 there is too much play and the wheel gets quite noisy instead. That is with default and with your custom profile.
    I used your suggested in game values by the way and also played around with higher LFB (better but the dead zone does not dissapear at all) and lower FX (better but I have to nearly switch this off to get rid of the rattling, and then the ffb feels quite lifeless).

Another thing: When I compare e.g. the Porsche 911 GT3 in AMS2 with the one in R3E, the car seems to rotate weirdly. It seems like the rotational center is wrong. This feels like the car is disconnected from the track and I have very few grip and the car seems to float on the track. In R3E there seems to be plenty of grip and you can push the car to it's limit.
    Other cars are even wors in this regard .....

Maybe I have to reinstall AMS2. There seems to be something wrong here.

18. Karsten Hvidberg

The rattling might be the g-series sometimes not able to reproduce the road details that rre and acc produce next to zero.
    You can turn it down in the custom file by lowering the micro bumps and the road texture scales.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. BD992000

BD992000 New Member

OK, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

20. Stakanov

@BD992000 try what Karsten say above ... taking up my post above, in my file i use different line code for tighten, this:
    (output (tighten output tighten_range tighten_falloff))
    I use not for tighten but only for change the attitude of wheel around the low force and without control if the force are close or passing to position 0 ... that's why in my file the values of TR and TF are so small!!
    If you apply high values here even when the force must be 0 it will be increased by the TR to the speed of the TF and therefore it could amplify the rattles.

In the original Karsten's file the line code of tighten is:
    (output (if (+ tighten_range tighten_falloff) (tighten output tighten_range tighten_falloff) output))
    In this line of code, on the other hand, the position of force 0 is detected and therefore the tightening is applied only if there is an outpoot, i.e. a force other than 0 .... i think you need this !!!

I am attaching the exact same file of mine with the classic line of code for tightening inserted, so you can use your high values of 0.22 and 0.025 without problems when the force must be 0 ... ;)
    Use the values you like in game, let me know ... if you solve and like it next time I will make two different files, one for my G920 (deadzone 0.05%) and one for the others Logitech (16-22%)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2