1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good car to learn in? - Formula Vee vs Formula Trainer

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by John Eagle, Jun 28, 2021.

1. John Eagle

John Eagle New Member

I've stuck primarily with GT3 cars since I started. I still consider myself a beginner and so I'm interested in these cars that are meant to be good for learning fundamentals.

I've heard the Skip Barber or Formula Vee recommended a lot (in general). I don't know about the Formula Trainer.

Given I don't yet understand setup changes or what constitutes "good" or "bad" physics (purposefully over-simplifying it) in the current game version which car would you recommend to learn fundamentals and if possible why it's preferred over the other?

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  2. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Most of these trainer cars are fairly low powered and have an open diff. That means very aggressive turn in that you stabilize with throttle (to prevent massive oversteer) which is good for teaching control :) plus no ABS or TC usually. And little downforce.

Modern GT3 you can setup to drive much much easier, just throwing it in and WOT out of corners.

• Like Like x 1
  3. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Formula Vee is the nastiest open wheeler to learn in AMS2. You will find that it snaps if you lift completely at high speed. But it also has pretty wide slip angles and you can save quite a big liftoff oversteer situation by just getting back on the throttle.

If I recall correctly it's the US Vee handbook that states that this is basically how you learn to drive a Vee: get on the throttle to stabilise it. (Although they also use a differently specced Vee than Brazil)

First phase with the Vee is to avoid lifting completely and getting comfortable with its tendencies. Note that this lesson doesn't necessarily apply to all other cars. In most cases it doesn't, because high performance cars are fitted with a much better rear axle (this is a big reason why the Vee is the way it is!) and limited slip differential to further calm the rear. Vee has a swing rear axle which changes its geometry in a more or less catastrophic way when unloaded due to weight transfer. So it's not just the front tires biting in and the open rear diff turning engine brake into rotation, it's the rear tires giving up as well.

Remember that this rear unloading and resulting liftoff oversteer will also happen when going over crests etc. So it's not just when you lift. If you lift on top of a crest, bad things will likely occur. So get comfortable with this before proceeding to the next phase.

The second phase to learn how to utilise the nervous rear setup. Inducing liftoff oversteer on purpose can be beneficial in some cars. This is the case with the Vee. Say you're attacking a corner that you can't quite make with full throttle in the Vee. The car understeers too much on throttle. By lifting the throttle a bit, but not completely, you will remove the excess understeer (not yet liftoff oversteer). But you can go even further. You can lift completely briefly and steer into the corner gently to get the car turn in aggressively. And then get back on the throttle before it gets too crazy. Practice this. It's a lot of fun. It should also be faster, but by how much and in which corners depends on a lot of variables that only you as the driver can figure out by lapping a track.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

My advise is first to master the F-trainer and the Caterham Academy.
    Then go onto Vee, F3, Supersport, Superlight
    For fun you can go Brasil all the way, like Copa Fusca, etc etc. They are scary!
    Mini old and Mini Modern for your FDW-skills

Then later, like 500 - 1000 hours later I would go Sprintcar, GT3, GTE, Formula Reiza, etc etc etc.

Ideally you if you're really diehard you either pick F-trainer or/and Academy. Learn every track will you win versus 105 strength AI. Learn how to tune, etc and then go onto a higher tier. Thats like 1000 - 1500 hours of some good dedication.

For more (side) fun you can download Dirt Rally 1 or RBR with NGP 6 and master off-road and techniques like scandi-flick and all that. But that will probably harm your circuit-skills because it can often make your eye twinkle too much and your rally-sense kicks in which is not good, haha.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. John Eagle

John Eagle New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, very appreciated. The F Trainer sounds like a good intro. Played a bit with the Vee and can definitely see it being fun once the skill is developed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

You'll certainly learn about mechanical grip with all of them. The formula trainer can be balanced very well and responds well to that. The Vee will get your energy management focused with it low power. They're all good but I would recommend the trainer for suspension/mechanical grip tinkering. The defaults are Very Very understeery mid corner. Also I found you can run the rear brake ducts.....
    Edited to remove the hand holding :whistle: you'll just have to figure it out :);)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Shhhhhh, you're spelling it out for him / handholding :D @Sunscreen

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

I love those cars Marius. I'm excited for him ;) But yeah, you're quite right :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Perfect
    Agreed this end to all of the above and the other advice.
    Trainer and Academy are what they say on the box.
    Best place to learn the very best of what the cars will do, with all areas of feedback from your inputs. then when you go back to try gt3/others with computer control safety devices switched off you will have more fun and be faster. The fastest guys in the recent Nurburghring 24hrs in the rain according to the commentators turned assists to minimum or off to fully feel the car.
    Ive been on track with @Marius and @Shadak in cats or trainer and their super quick! because they understand the car responses very well, as does @oez from the races with 'donk' that Ive seen on u tube.
    Have fun

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

I don't claim to be any sort of RL Vee expert although I've read about them and the differences between country regulations. But I believe I have the current AMS2 Vee handling under control :). I enjoy all cars that reward car control.

F-Trainer Simple (the one with semi-slicks) is a good starting point, because it's simply not as crazy. It doesn't spin out of control due to liftoff oversteer where the Vee would. Even so you can get into trouble with it and throttle steering remains. Advanced is a bit more grippy, but I'm not 100% sure if it means more difficult per se or if it's just more demanding if you want to be fast.