1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Version: V.1.2.0.5
    Car: Formula Trainer (basic)
    Track: Donnington National
    AI Strength: 105%
    AI Aggression:100%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Turn 7, McLeans
    Session Distance: 30 min practice, custom championship, race 2.
    Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Practice
    Ai are slow on the exit of turn 7. They are also 1 second slower than me at this circuit compared to Brands Hatch Indy and I suspect the pace variance is at least partly due to their pace towards Coppice after their slow exit from McLeans. It is not just that Im faster than them through there, they are fairly obviously slow at getting on the power again between the apex of McLeans and the exit. It actually creates a collision risk because its so unusual and unexpected.

Donnington.PNG

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Version: V.1.2.0.5
    Car: Formula Trainer (basic)
    Track: Donnington National
    AI Strength: 105%
    AI Aggression: 100%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): NA
    Session Distance: 20 minutes
    Weather when the issue was observed: light clouds
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race
    As reported for Brands Hatch Indy earlier, similar phenomenon at Donnington National- Ai are faster in the race than in qualification. Fastest Ai qualification time 1:18:966, fastest ai race time 1:18:423.

This means that all things considered, if you do a max performance lap in qualifying, on the same setup and with the same fuel as the race, you will be defensive all race as the race pace of the competition is a step up from their qualification pace. If you do a qualification setup that is faster then the problem will be compounded when you revert to your slower race setup.

3. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: 1.2.0.8
    Car / Track: GTE at Bathurst with Medium rubber preset
    AI Strength: 120%
    Track Position: N/A
    AI Aggression: 60%
    Session Distance: Lap | Ai Lap 13
    Weather: Dry
    Player Tyre: Soft Slick (Left) + Medium Slick (Right) *Ui tyre info widget is wrong as it reports 4 medium tyres
    AI Tyre: NA
    Session Type: 1hr Practice Session
    Notes: As reported in this thread a handful of times, simply put the Ai at Bathurst are too slow. As you can see by my sector 2 dominance mainly this slowness is from The Cutting to Forrest Elbow whereby you can eat them up and not just in GTE. Although better they are still little too easy to pass down Conrod Straight and then they are braking very late into The Chase chicane and somehow unrealistically pulling it off. As you can see here P2 is 4 seconds off my pace and I am not even using a Bathurst setup..

The power to weight ratio of the BMW is really destroying the Porsche & Corvette down Conrod.

BMW M8 GTE - 555 HP || 750 Nm || 0.420 - (53)

Porsche 911 RSR-19 - 538 HP || 493 Nm || 0.405 - (57)
    Chevrolet Corvette C8.R - 526 HP || 636 Nm || 0.396 - (58)

ams2_bathurst_slow_gte_ai.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  4. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: 1.2.0.8
    Car Track: Campo Grande Toyota Corolla Stock Car 2021 (Probably every car)
    Report: AI still tacking alternative (off-road) route into Pit leading to disqualification

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.2.1.0
    Car: Copa Uno
    Track: Oulton Park (Fosters)
    AI Strength: 100%
    AI Aggression: 50%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): T1 - Old Hall Corner
    Session Distance: 9 laps
    Setup: default
    Player Tyre: dry
    AI Tyre: dry

AI is too slow through T1. They could do with being a touch faster in some other corners, particularly T5 (Knickerbrook), which they should be able to take at full throttle, and are a little slow at T3 & T7, but T1 is the one where they're most clearly much slower than they could be.

6. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.2.1.0
    Car: Opala Stock 79 & 86
    Track: various
    AI Strength: 100%
    AI Aggression: 50%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): most
    Session Distance: 6 laps
    Setup: default
    Assist: none
    Player Tyre: dry
    AI Tyre: dry

I find the AI in these two cars is always a little slow. I can usually get from last to first of 20 cars in a 5 or 6 lap race at most circuits I've tried. They just seem a fraction slow in many corners, which all adds up to easy overtaking most laps. For example, they need a little more aggression through fast chicanes (like the one at Santa Cruz), as I often find myself having to back off, or even slam the brakes, to avoid rear-ending them. Likewise going into corners. Chasing their bumpers through fast chicanes at top speed would feel be spectacular but they're often just a little below the speed they could be.

Maybe I just need to move up them a few % but I feel if I can easily beat them at 100%, they must be too slow. There are other cars where I can't get near them at 100%.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  7. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

After having done some races after update to Version 1.2.1.0, there are two issues left to me:

1. AI coming from the back still tend to go for the rear side of players car before entering the corner, just as if they would not see the car in front. This can be horrible with oper wheelers, because the AI goes for your rear tyres and you spin.
    2. They still cut corners and go over the grass without losing much grip/speed, when player is overtaking. On some tracks like Oulton Park, they cause huge carnage that way, because they hit the barriers in the chicane by cutting corners. On others, they just force there way back to the track, ramming the player on the racing line. The devs might reduce their grip level on grass dramatically (because they still drive over it like on rails now) or give them more respect for the car of human player.:whistle:;)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SoulMaTriX

SoulMaTriX New Member

MP- Create Server Option
    Version:
    Latest
    Car: P4 and P1
    Track: Bathurst
    AI Strength: 70%
    AI Aggression: 0%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): None
    Session Distance: 25 laps
    Weather when the issue was observed: dry, light clouds
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Practice, Quali and Race

Observation: AI disregards human drivers except for host. Plows right through them as if they are not on the track. AI took out 3 of 4 drivers. 4th driver was host.

9. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: 1.2.1.0
    Car: GTE-class, 29 AI + 1 player
    Track: Kyalami
    AI Strength: 98 %
    AI Aggression 98 %
    Session Distance: 45 minutes
    Weather when the issue was observed: Clear sky, dry track, from sunset towards the night.
    Type of session when the issue was observed: Race

I just finished a race against AI drivers where I somehow went from P23 to P13 with only one "normal" overtake on the final lap. The reason seems to be lots of the AI going into the pits on the last lap. I'm attaching a picture of the standings at the start and end of my last lap, including ugly lines to indicate changed positions. I'm keeping the replay in case it's needed.

There were no changes in weather conditions that would've messed up strategies. Clear sky and dry track the whole time.

IF it's an underfueling issue, I wouldn't mind an AI driver occasionally doing it. Quite a human mistake. In this case it seems a bit excessive though. :)

Attached Files:

10. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Version: 1.2.0.8 (I forgot to post this earlier)
    Car: Hot Cars, maximum opponents
    Track: Laguna Seca
    AI Strength: 100 %
    AI Aggression: 80 %
    Session Distance: 15 minutes
    Weather when the issue was observed: Clear weather

I was up to 3 seconds faster per lap than the AI. I drove the Fusca HC2. AI seemed a bit slower here and there including the straights.

I match opponent pace well in many classes such as Copa Uno, GT3, Stock Car Brasil 2019 etc. Basically suggesting that I'm not a sudden mega alien against AI.

11. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

When overtaking on the inside, already in front of the AI before corners, they still love to brutally come over to your side as they were blind and ram. No matter which aggression level is in use.

12. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hope this is useful. I made this video to show the ability of the A.I. to slipstream each other, but it lead to me discovering (having not raced much with the modern formula cars much before), that there is a problem with the way the A.I. drive these specific cars (in this case Formula Reiza). I can't include the specific track, corner conditions as it seems to be a general problem across the board with these cars.

Basically the A.I. drive these cars like they would drive BTCC touring cars, with alot of contact and rubbing. This just does'nt happen IRL with these types of cars as F1 cars are pretty delicate and damaged v easily with the slightest contact. Maybe A.I. could be looked at for these specific cars.

Having said that, with the lower powered F3 cars the A.I. seem much better behaved.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

P.S. this was with A.I. at 106% skill and about 60% aggression, in clear weather

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. selwyn gregory

selwyn gregory Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe aggression should be minimum for this type of racing, it does seems to show why the cars bunch up as momentum seems to drop to zero as soon as cars are side by side, watching Indy Car it can take 5-6 car lengths before the advantage has been lost.
    Whatever it just feels and looks wriong for open wheel racing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Version: 1.2.1.0
    Car: Formula_Vee (and some other open wheelers)
    Track: Londrina Long (and some others)
    AI Strength: 100 - 110 %
    AI Aggression: does not matter at all
    Type of session when the issue was observed: Race in dry conditions

Racing the AI with this kind of cars is still a pain on many tracks because of their weird behaviour.

When going within the pack, the car in front is somehow brake testing you in corners, because it obviously brakes extremely late and then almost stands still on the apex, where it should have it's foot on the throttle again. So, if you follow this vehicle, you gotta brake a second time in order not to ram the AI in front.
    At the same moment, the car in the back tries to overtake you by cutting corners and driving over the grass without any griploss, going for your rear tyres.
    When player is coming out of the slipstream on straights and going for next corner, they just do not step back when already behind, but pretend on their line, wanting to go through corners side by side with you and often ram you out. They do not lose speed even if they are driving far away from the ideal racing line, because physics that affect player have no impact on the AI.
    Devs might finally fix that, racing an AI with such "fantasy physics" can end up in a horrible experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. doomwarriorx

doomwarriorx Member

Version: 1.2.1.2
    Car: Group C, M1, Opala 86, maximum opponents
    Track: Nürburgring GP
    AI Strength: 80
    AI Aggression: 50
    Session Distance: 24 Laps
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): 8 - Dunlop-Kehre

22 Lap I lead the race. Start overtaking Group C backmakers. Already breaking into turn 8 is a Opala (#1). 962 (#Me) Race down the straight behind Sauber backmarker (#2)
    - #2 is not on the optimal line. Somewhere In the middle.
    - #Me goes to the outside because I think he gives me room to overtake
    - #2 slowly goes back to the outside and start to brake check me ~50-100 meters before the proper breaking point. #1 starts to turn into corner 8.
    - #Me dives into the inside. Break hard missing apex a bit. Nearly colliding with #1, but Overtaking/Lapping #2
    - Midcorner behind each other #1, #Me, #2
    - Because #1 is slow #Me is waiting he goes to the outside so I can overtake him. I'm on tarmac next to the inner curb
    - #2 starts to overtake me on the inner curb. But there is no room
    - #2 executes a perfect police pit sends me into the inner guard rail. #2 only dips a break but is otherwise accelerating.

Bonus after recovering a with a bent racecar start to continue. A M1 appeared and pit me again more outward on the exit of the turn.

(Edit: continued and finished 5th. But I'm sure the complete residential block does know about my opinion about this move. Pretty sure the kids learned some new swearwords)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  17. doomwarriorx

doomwarriorx Member

Car: Group C, M1, Opala 86, maximum opponents
    Track: Daytona Road
    AI Strength: 80
    AI Aggression: 50
    Session Distance: 24 Laps
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Rolling Start (Guided)

Me in 962 other Group C pulls away on the start to break point at least two car length.

18. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

In the new version 1.2.1.2, I noticed that the AI gives you more space when going side by side (Formula Vee, F_V12) and do not exaggeratedly move over anymore pretending on a certain racing line. :)
    But when player has to brake for slow AI in front, the guy from behind still goes for a gap which is not there and tries to overtake by going over the grass.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. twistking

twistking Member

Version: recent as of today
    Car: gt3, gte, gt4... probably all
    Track: Long Beach
    AI Strength: 100
    AI Aggression: 80
    Session Distance: -
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Last corner (hairpin before finish line)
    Type of session when the issue was observed: All

AI struggles with last corner and looses at least a second, probably more.
    This makes AI very easy to beat in Long Beach. Both in quali and race....

20. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Car: any with rain lights
    Track: any
    AI Strength: n/a
    AI Aggression: n/a
    Session Distance: n/a
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): n/a
    Weather when the issue was observed: Either light rain, or with wet track preset (or both)
    Type of session when the issue was observed: All

AI do not turn on their rain lights on cars when the weather is set to light rain, or the wet track preset is selected (or both), even if there is a heavy spray. It is hard to judge where cars are in the spray. You cannot see the group of lancers ahead because of the spray and no rain lights.
    1066890_20210706135112_1.jpg

Attached Files: