1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2021 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

06.jpg
    Greetings everyone!

The month of June already is in the rear view mirror, and what a month it was - first with the release of V1.2 and the Racin´ USA DLC (which we were thrilled to see so widely well received), followed by a hard push towards bug hunting and further improvements in the subsequent weeks.

In fact this slightly delayed Dev Update is largely because we are still at it, working on a new complementary update due out this weekend - and given we´ve been pushing out complementary updates over the last couple of weeks to get some outstanding issues fixed ASAP, there won´t be the usual big update this time but rather another smaller collection of fixes & improvements to wrap up this dev cycle.

Our focus continues to be on complementing the work on the new features and fixing issues that have come up since V1.2, as well as some older issues which we had been struggling for a while to track down - to this end it´s very important that users continue to submit their Bugsplat reports if they do run into a crash, if possible including information about their previous steps leading to the crash as those are most helpful to track down its source.

This focus will carry on over July for the next big update, as along with trying to resolve any pending issues we manage to track down and generally further tidy things up, we´ll be pushing to add a few more options and quality-of-life improvements that have been commonly requested by users.

So let´s go over what we´ve got on the immediate horizon:

ss184115.jpg

We have further developments to Real Weather and dynamic LiveTrack presets, with some improvements to the system and Multiplayer support hopefully already integrated in this weekend´s update.
    2.jpg

By the end of the month we´ll also have live storage of weather data for new days (currently weather from days in between releases is not stored so Real Weather doesn´t work for recent days and weeks since the initial June 4th release of this feature), and also expect to integrate real feed for environment temperatures and humidity data, doing away with the overly generic regional lookup tables for good.

Work continues also on bringing Seasonal Foliage to the remaining tracks - next up for this weekend will be Hockenheim along with its historical variants, making the trips into the long forest straights very different experiences depending on whether your session is run on the fall, winter or spring.

ss185136.jpg

ss185859.jpg

With the addition of Hockenheim, all premium tracks along with Bathurst, Imola and Spielberg will be featuring seasonal foliage, along with the more discreet variations of Brazilian tracks. By the end of the month we hope to have completed this feature and have all tracks in AMS2 presenting their appropriate seasonal foliage.

On the Physics side, the biggest incoming development is the completion of the Traction Control system revamp that we´ve been working on through this cycle, as well as adding input binding to adjust both TC & ABS in-car (and not just via ICM as it is currently).

Still on the topic of input bindings, by the end of the month we hope to offer the often-requested option to map multiple commands to the same key or button.

On the AI front, where we also have some nice further developments - with V1.2 we introduced unique personalities to each AI driver, which means all drivers in the sim (real, fictional or generic) have their own unique personality and skillset not shared with another AI driver. Within the next couple of months we´ll reduce the presence of generic drivers, with most series getting drivers (real or fictional) assigned to each car; their personalities in turn will be substantially fleshed out with several new variables, leading to AI drivers having varied ability in managing tire wear or running on the wet, staying cool when under pressure, keeping a consistent pace without mistakes, fighting back after being passed amongst other cool details - some drivers will also be more skilled on some tracks than in others, with all these elements hopefully leading up to a more varied and organic AI racing experience.

On to UI & HUD Development - while our man @Dave Stephenson continues to push hard in tidying some remaining issues with the Custom Championship tool and adding a few more options, the work should be largely completed after this weekend´s update, which means he´s finally unleashed to catch up with some other UI & HUD updates, including substantial reforms to the Multiplayer Lobby & monitor screens - the former previews below and expected to be ready for the weekend:
    image_2021_06_30T16_15_55_877Z.png

Once these are completed we´ll dive into the driver profile page, and with that completing the development of the long awaited Multiplayer Rating System (at least a couple of months still to go there though).

Finally on to the Content - while the focus over the next few weeks will continue to be on delivering more of these groundwork improvements, we still have a fleshy bit of content to brighten up our next release, as the classic Porsche 911 Carrera RSR from 1974 will arrive as a free-for-all initial entry into 1970´s GT racing.
    ss_178544a70d5ee237afc678dd5a54cfbb12e7e329.1920x1080.jpg

This 3.0L beast was very succesful on the track and remains widely popular to this day for its racey looks, sounds and performance, so we are naturally delighted to be bringing it to all AMS2 users.

Speaking of classics, we are also currently working on revamping a track from Automobilista 1 and hoping to have it ready for the end of the month - no previews yet as we´re still early in the process, so I´ll leave you all to guess which one is it, as well as pitch in as to which other remaining AMS1 tracks you´d like to see brought over next!

That´s all the good stuff we have to share this month - and now it´s time to get back to work and get this next update ready for the weekend!
    ss_447d1752a684d6ce6f44ce8bdd7e60d1fa511ab7.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 63
    • Winner Winner x 44
    • Friendly Friendly x 11
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Łukasz Łażewski

Łukasz Łażewski Member AMS2 Club Member

Wooo, something good to read before sleep ❤️

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice, keep up the good work!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Of all the sims in my collection you guys bring us the most goodies month by month, very impressive!

• Agree Agree x 9
  6. SirSilverLXVIII

SirSilverLXVIII Lord Barber of MancunianShire AMS2 Club Member

Oh i hope its le mans you guys are working on

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. leobaruk13

leobaruk13 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Buenos Aires, Salvador or Ribeirão Preto could be the track from AMS1. I think it will be Buenos Aires!

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Like Like x 5
  8. cazsan

cazsan New Member AMS2 Club Member

Wonderful updates.
    Always so glad to see detailed reports, keep going on guys, you lead the way!
    I'd love to see Sebring incoming with us pack expansion

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Douglas Venturin

Douglas Venturin New Member

Sensacional!!!!
    E por favor, evoluam rápido aquele fórmula híbrido de vocês que tá todo desregulado (velocidade progressiva mto rápida, derrapa, volante não tem peso nem sente a pista, etc), diferente dos v10 que estão um espetáculo. Se baseiem no híbrido lançado hoje pelo rfactor pq aquilo tá viciante pqp

10. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Or Córdoba or Caruaru... :)
    Maybe even Mendig!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dann Murillo

Dann Murillo tinyurl.com/osrdiscord AMS2 Club Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  12. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Will it be possible for us to tune these AI skills ourselves? One thing that irritates me most is this "fighting back after being passed" skill as it seems to cause AI to have some unrealistic speed boost and also the propensity to even race you flat out OFF TRACK, way off the racing line.

Also.. any news on the historic Spa that was going to be part of the DLC released a while back?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Wow, thank you so much - the AI improvements and adding some consistency between races is absolutely huge for me and this alone will massively up the immersion for me - I know it's a minor thing, but please assign the 'better' drivers to the factory cars/liveries for classes like GTE and GT3.

The game has come on loads in the last updated - I certainly wasn't expecting a 'big' update to end this month, but have really appreciated the seasonal updates to circuits, fixes and general AI improvements. Hockenheim's forests will have so much added by the seasonal effects.

Also, the '74 Porsche... perfection! Not to mention the key word 'initial'. Sell me as many 1970s GT and Touring Cars as you want to; I really want AMS2 to be my go to for 70s and 80s content because of the great job you've been doing with the period circuits, but single seaters aren't really my thing - I can see this car (and this class - hopefully some CSLs, Capris or Panteras in the distance...) becoming a huge time sink for me. Would also love to know more about the Historic Track Pack plans at some point.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Jackb66

Jackb66 Member AMS2 Club Member

Sebring please!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Dear Reiza,

As my name is already in the list of AMS1 drivers, please consider this message as legal permission to put me in AMS2 as the AI personality* who will be "staying cool when under pressure". After all, you are trying to make the sim as realistic as possible. :whistle:

Thank you.

*Or any other personality. Just make me faster than @DaVeX

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  16. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

Albert Park

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Obbzy_XR_

Obbzy_XR_ Member

Phillip Island Thanks. :)
    Barbagallo too would be nice...
    If not, then perhaps Brno or Mugello?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

It’s an AMS1 track guys, don’t let imagination run too wild :p

An AI editor is a possible long term prospect, but certainly not any time soon. The historical track variants have alll been pushed to 2022 due to their complexity (would hog up the schedule from other licensed tracks we have to deliver) - exception is for the next Premium Track DLC which will feature all planned historical variants at release or very soon after.

• Informative x 15
    • Like x 9
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  19. Koala63

Koala63 Member

Seasonal foliage at Bathurst will be interesting to see. The gum trees are evergreen and only major difference between seasons is the grass turns brown in summer.

I live in hope that one day, the VR hud will be fixed.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  20. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Thanks Reiza, does this mean having different wheels having different mappings because of different button layouts?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1