1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many rims do you own?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Jul 3, 2021.

?
  1. 1 fixed to base

24.8%
  2. 2

23.1%
  3. 3 or more

27.3%
  4. 1 not fixed to base

24.8%
  1. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

I wasn't sure J2K would work between different Fanatec rims as the buttons send the same signals, i.e. each sends button press 1, the issue is that they all have the 'press 1' button in different locations. Can J2K differentiate between different Fanatec wheels - for example could I make the Porsche button 1, the Classic button 2 and the McLaren button 3 all point to key press A?

2. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

Just one - the Ferrari 599XX Evo 30 Alcantara for my T300.
    Love it and don't really feel like I need anything else for now. I go back and forth between track sims and rally (Dirt Rally 2.0) so I like to have a round rim that can do everything.

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Modern F1 or GT3 cars?

4. David Peres

Sure... I just adjust the steering rotation accordingly, keep my hands at a 9:15 position and my eyes looking only at the screen to ignore the fact that my wheel is round :p

I just wish I had a few more buttons and rotary dials on the wheel, but other that I'm happy.

• Like Like x 2
  5. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have only single rim attached to my T300GT, but in VR it hardly matters as it's amazing how that single rim may feel different in different cars :D
    In F3/P4 it feels like the exact replica of in game, in Euro Truck Simulator 2 where trucks have those massive wheels, the same rim feels much larger. In other words, get yourself a VR and you'll save money on expensive rims ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

In the app you can set your mapping per wheel. An example,
    On wheel A you have normally set the pit limiter to the upper right button.
    On wheel B you have the pit limiter set to a lower left button.
    In all the race sims you have to set the Pit limiter to the key “P” for example.
    In the j2k app you press on wheel A the pit limiter button and you see in the app that button x lights up. You point that button to the “P” (you mapped in the game)
    Same for the other wheel.
    If you have 4 wheels, you have to make 4 wheel settings in the j2k app. If you then switch a wheel while you’re in the game, you only need to alt tab to j2k en select the current rim you have on your base.
    And of course you need to switch the Fanatec Fanalab as well to the correct wheel but that you already have to do when swapping wheels.

I hope this makes sense.

I pointed all my button mappings in all sims at the same keys. no more mapping if I swap a wheel. Perfect.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 2ndLastJedi

I don't use Fanalabs, will that matter?

8. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

No.. but I have different settings for each game. But that has nothing to do with button mapping. :D

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

3 rims here on TS-PC.
    Sparco P 310,GT-Racer and the Ferrari F599.
    But mostley useing the Sparco,cause i'm lazy - one fits all,driving less F1 cars....he,he

10. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

What's the intended purpose of the poll?

If it's to help justify multiple controller profiles, then this can be for two reasons, different mappings needed for different wheels, and different mapping required by different cars. I have numerous profiles in rF2 for each class of car I race, and that's sorely missing in AMS2. If I had multiple wheels, then I may need even more profiles to cater for wheels and car classes.

11. 2ndLastJedi

Because i saw this post and it got me curious if true and if true made sense for Reiza to not prioritize it but seeing the results i feel it needs to be nearing the top of QOL improvements.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

99% of times that people use unreferenced percentages in that way, the figures have simply been plucked from thin air. :p

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. 2ndLastJedi

But 74% of the time when i do the dishes it gets me 69% more chance of my wife saying yes and we all know that normally this is a 23-27% range....Figures leant over 27 years of marriage :p

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I think I've enough with two rims. I've a F1 Black with SRM magnetic shifters and a Porsche Rim with brown leather. Great rims! Perhaps someday I will upgrade the F1 Black to something more fancy, but honestly I've already all my buttons on my buttonbox..

Btw with two I can switch easily on the fly due I've a 3D-printed wheel-holder attached on my simrig.

• Like Like x 2
  15. David Peres

But don't forget that 87.6543% of sim racers will not check this forum and therefore not vote in your pool, so the votes are almost certainly biased for the more hardcore guys with multiple rims.

And yes, the percent value above is scientifically proven to be correct. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Agree with the poll not being scientifically accurate nor useful for development decisions, but at the same time having multiple presets even for different car classes would be a reasonable improvement and a welcome change.

I'd argue though whether it should be such important change given how many other actually important changes should be implemented. So I'm yes to have presets added to the backlog, but no for making it in the next few sprints.

17. steve montuno

steve montuno Member

Fanatec BMW & Formula rims , plus a diy AMG gt3 Merc rim that I'm on the latter stages of building.

18. 2ndLastJedi

Well so far we have 66 votes, isn't that about quarter the daily AMS2 average? so really not a bad number of AMS2 users being represented. I think it would be different for say AC with a few thousand daily users but with AMS2 numbers still being low I think we can use these to gauge the target audience.

19. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

you forgot "none" for joypad and other steering controller users :p

20. 2ndLastJedi

Nah this is just for wheel users as was wondering because of your post saying 99% have just one rim. Got a good representation here I believe.
    While it is probably good to know, I don't think pad users would be changing pads when changing cars like wheel users do.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1