1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Dirt

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Richard Chapman, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

Hi all,
    Wondering if anyone else has noticed the lack of screen dirt on the windshield since the 1.2 update. I used to like the various different shadows of screen dirt showing on the windshield, this would especially show up in certain different weather scenarios. It gave me an extra sense of immersion and that feeling of actually sitting in the cockpit and behind some glass (windshield).
    Since the 1.2 update this effect is now very subtle and almost non existent. For example I would race the Porsche cup at Bathurst 6am with 3 different weather settings in one race, medium cloud/ overcast/ light cloud. At the top of the mountain going through the twists and turns before the decent the screen dirt was very prominent and for me made the Sim look so realistic. Since the 1.2 update replicating this same race scenario the screen dirt is now nearly non existent.
    Is this possibly something to do with the new live weather implementations or have Reiza just reduced the amount of screen dirt shown in general? If anyone could give me any info on the subject it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There's an option for it (in Visual FX > Screen dirt) which is off by default. I've never tried it so do not know how it looks.

3. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

Cheers for the reply Bobbie, I have always had screen dirt turned on in Visual FX. Just since the 1.2 update it’s no where near as prominent as it used to be. It’s like say before the 1.2 update having it turned off was 0% and having it turned on was 100%, but now having it turned on has been drastically reduced to around 20-30%, it’s still there but no where near as effective as it used to be before the 1.2 update.

4. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There is a screen dirt option, since when?
    Have to test it, waiting for this feature since a long time ....

5. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

From the very start I think ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

o_O:p

7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The screen dirt has always varied, on some cars it's barely visible while others (Caterham Academy) the windshield is so scuffed it's distracting. One of my pet peeves in AC+CSP was that by default every car they send you out on track seemed to have a dirty windshield that you could barely see through because of sun glare.

Anyway, the feature would be much more immersive if the dirt was actually building up dynamically instead of just being static. This used to be feature in sims circa 2007-08, like iRacing or RACE 07, but appears to have been lost in the newest generation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

Hey Azaris (Trick here from Moonie’s and Steelcast’s discord) yeh I suppose a lot of it is down to personal preference. I completely understand what you are saying about AC+CSP, it is at times very overkill.
    Before the 1.2 update in AMS2 I generally liked the way the screen dirt would show up in various different scenarios and weather conditions. Just seems odd to me now that since the 1.2 update I’m driving the same car on the same track in the same conditions and the screen dirt is a lot less visible, and personally I don’t like it, I preferred the more prominent screen dirt. Could anyone confirm or deny if Reiza have toned down the screen dirt after the 1.2 update.

9. alink

Just checked VisualFX, screen dirt is ON but I've never experienced a screen dirt, or I am missunderstanding something. As in Race07/On, GTR, NR2003,... there was a dirt build up, but not in AMS2, isn't it?
    ams2.jpg

10. alink

After a 30min race my car was a bit dirty but NOT A SINGLE FLY has hit my front screen :(
    ss140830.jpg

11. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

@Renato Simioni Hello and sorry to bother you as I know yourself and the Reiza team are extremely busy. Could you please confirm or deny if the screen dirt, scratches, smears (reflections) on the windshield have been toned down from the 1.2 update onwards. They all seem less prominent now, I thought this was a great feature and really added to the immersion. It’s still there but only very slightly. If for example before the 1.2 update ‘screen dirt off’ was 0% and ‘screen dirt on’ was 100%, I’d say now screen dirt on was roughly 20-40%. Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks.

12. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

So after today’s update Reiza have decided to virtually get rid of all the visible screen dirt, smears, scratches on the glass of the windshield. This was a great immersive feature that is now practically non existent. Why would Reiza do this, what’s the reason behind it? It hardly feels like I’m sitting in a cockpit behind a windshield (glass) as there is also hardly any other reflections on the windshield glass or door window glass like there is in other sims. I just don’t get why a great feature like this would be toned right down to almost non existent.

13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe it wasn't done on purpose, maybe a bug has crept in as it was not mentioned in patch notes

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

I hope it is a bug and then that would explain it and it could be rectified by Reiza. Not sure why other people are not mentioning it or talking much about it. One of the many great features of this sim is the immersion factor and this feature was a big one in my opinion. Could it be something to do with the ‘real weather’ implementation, I don’t know I’m just guessing. I love this sim but it’s both annoying and frustrating to have such a great immersive feature disappear.

15. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

I find the current windshield view has a bit creasy look. The front windshield. The side windows does not show this look. Am I the only one with this?

16. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a different perspective to you (no pun intended). I find screen dirt (along with aerials, door pillars and windscreen wipers) to be totally immersion breaking.

If I had one eye with one point of focus it would be more authentic. But in real life I focus beyond the windscreen and don't 'see' screen dirt, wipers, etc. so I want the game to reflect and reinforce my perception of reality.

I want to optimise the screen real estate but in some cockpits I have a usable screen size little larger than a school exercise book, like driving a WW2 Tank. That really breaks the immersion for me and I have to drive in bonnet view. Cars with aerials, like Classic G3M2, have to go into trash along with F-Ultimate, etc., as they break the immersion with bits that stay in focus when I look ahead and that don't move relative to the background when my head moves.

There's a difference between an authentic cockpit view and reinforcing realism by showing not what I'd see but what I'd be looking at and ignoring what I'd be seeing past or seeing round.

Just my two penn'orth.

17. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion or in fact their own perspective’s of what they find is immersive. However those things you’ve mentioned are all real world items that appear on most race cars. I myself want my sim racing experience to be as ‘real’ or as immersive as possible. Some people don’t want that which is fine, most people would choose being fast over a truly immersive experience which again is fine but it’s not what I want.

18. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, I was just using your post as a springboard for giving my opinion, not to contradict yours. I seem to have prickled you and that wasn't my intention. Sorry about that.

Yes, we both want that...

But "for me" those things behave differently in the real world because they appear between my eyes and what I'm looking at, not painted on the same focal plane - and it's that different behaviour that shatters the illusion of reality, the suspension of disbelief. For me, it's no longer as real.

19. Richard Chapman

Richard Chapman Member

No honestly I didn’t mean to come across that way, it was also genuinely not my intention to sound like I had been prickled. I do now understand your point and again its up to you what you see as immersive or not. Getting back to my original post, personally I want to see the ‘screen dirt’ back to how it was before the beginning of June 1.2 update. Wether it happens or not will remain to be seen.
    In the meantime enjoy your racing ✌️

20. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Don’t forget that many use already VR and here it IS like in real world, because you see everything in 3D and can decide if you focus on the screen dirt or focus beyond the windscreen… ;)