1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.2.1.2
    Car: V8 Supercar
    Track: Goiania Outer
    AI Strength: 100%
    AI Aggression: 80%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): all of them
    Session Distance: 8 laps
    Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    Setup: default
    Assist: none
    Player Tyre: dry
    AI Tyre: dry
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race

• T1 (Curva Um) - AI are a bit slow going through the first half of this long turn.
    • T2 (Mergulho) - AI are too slow through here - they hit their brakes when it can comfortably be taken flat out.
    • T3 (Curva Zero) - I would say the AI have more acceleration than the player coming out of this corner onto the home straight. I'm flat on the throttle as early as possible coming off the first part of the corner and the AI is directly behind me, so not able to accelerate any earlier than me, yet they consistently just drive past me on the first part of the home straight.

2. SoloWingX

SoloWingX New Member

Car: Formula 3
    Track: Estoril (Cascais)
    AI Strength: ~104%
    AI Aggression: ~90%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): T13, Parabolica Senna
    Session Distance: 40 min practice
    Weather when the issue was observed: Dry
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Practice
    After a couple of laps into the practice session I noticed that AI cars keep understeering slightly after the apex of T13 and crash after sliding through the gravel. The AI it happens to goes almost if not full steering lock when the understeer happens and traction is lost, furthermore the AI stays on throttle the whole way, no sign of letting off to regain the car during the understeer or in the gravel.

3. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Car: V8 Supercar
    Track: Curitiba Outer
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): all of them
    Session Distance: 8 laps
    Assist: none

Following on from my Goiania Outer post earlier, the AI in the V8s definitely has an acceleration advantage over me - I can't see any technical reason why. Noticed it again coming onto the straight after the chicane after T1 at Curitiba Outer where I'm flat on the throttle but the AI behind always catch up. Also noticing it off the start line, where I can sometimes be catching the AI ahead from standing start through to 2nd gear, then get swamped by the AI behind as they all out accelerate me as we rise through the gears. Top speed then equals out.

Also at the final long right hander at Curitiba, the AI always want to lunge up the inside (or outside, if you block) but have a spot half way round the corner where they brake for no reason. It makes racing with them there quite irksome.

4. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Car: Formula_Vee and some other Formula cars I have tried so far
    Track: Goiana (long version)
    AI Strength: 105%
    AI Aggression: 50%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Last corner (double right hander)
    In last corner, AI carries a huge amount of speed coming out for main straight, no matter which line they choose in corner. Seems to be "their" curve, because they handle this sector much better than any other one on track. Even when touching grass on the inside while fighting, they can rush out like they would drive on the ideal racing line.
    Overall, they can go on any line and over grass/sausage curbs without struggeling or much speed loss (which still is an overall issue of the game: AI is not much affected by grass/gravel/high curbs).
    Maybe devs should decrease the grip level of the AI for certain open wheelers.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  5. selwyn gregory

selwyn gregory Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry Wrong Thread.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  6. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

You posted your problem in the wrong forum. You might get help here:
    Automobilista 2 - Help & Support
    ;)

7. selwyn gregory

selwyn gregory Member AMS2 Club Member

8. ATSS

ATSS Member

Car: GT3,GT4,GTE, Opala stocks, but basically in every class
    Track: Kyalami 2020
    AI Strength: 103%
    AI Aggression: 60%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Last corner
    Session Distance: 10 laps

The AI is just simly slow in the last corner. Don't have much apex speed and also they are really slow to accelerate out of the corner. Because of this the start/finish straight is an easy pass oportunity almost all the time.

9. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Please spend the AI some more composure and courtesy. On tracks which have chicanes with barriers (Oulton Park, Taruma) they still cause carnage, because they want to go side by side there, forcing their way through when player is near. And then they hit the wall regularly.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
  10. ATSS

ATSS Member

In general the AI is unrealisticly fast turning into high speed chicanes. Good example is Daytona.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Hank Madison

Hank Madison New Member

Version: 1.2.1.4
    Car: GT3, GTE
    Track: Silverstone
    AI strength: 95
    AI Aggression: 80
    Corner: Section between vale and club

On the rolling start/formation lap, AI and my own car being driven automatically (before shifting to manual control) cars are hitting curb and violently careening on to two wheels. Depending on grid position, green lights may occur when driver’s car is upset because of curb leading to poor start. This existed in previous update as well.

12. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

AI just does not understand the principle of slow in - fast out when taking corners. They rush into curves too fast and then tend to almost stand still on the apex, forcing the player behind to brake a second time instead of pushing. Really horrible when they do that going side by side, blocking the whole track. But although they almost stand still in many corners, they can carry a huge amount of speed when going out because of their simplified physics. Racing lines do not play a role for them, so they can drive side by side through curves without any car losing speed.
    As the game was officially released 1 year and 3 months ago, I am starting to fear that it will be like that forever.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Version: 1.2.1.4
    Car: Formula Vee
    Track: Bathurst
    AI strength: 100
    AI Aggression: 50

Compared to their performance on any other track of the game, AI in this class are way too fast here. Their laptimes are much faster than the best times in TT. Especially through the Esses, AI can drive like on rails, obviously not affected by bumps at all. If the human player is in front and brakes for the entry, they just ram him out of their way.

Another thing: When you skip training/qualifying on this track, their laptimes on the board are all over sudden 3 seconds slower than they actually achieve when absolving the session.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
  14. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.2.1.4
    Car: Any
    Track: Oulton PArk
    AI Strength: 95%
    AI Aggression: 50%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Foultons, Hislops

At these chicanes the AI always attempt to pass the player on the inside up the grass, collide with the bollards, and then take the player out. Usually the player's race is finished, the AI shrugs off the huge collision and races on. It seems like the bollards are recognised by the AI too late, if at all. Oulton is my favourite track and I race it a lot. The issue seems to have gotten worse. Either fix the AI line, or remove the bloody bollards!

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. Joakim Tärnström

Joakim Tärnström New Member

• Car / Track used: Formula Vee, BMW GTE/Brands Hatch GP
    • AI Strength setting: 100
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific):
    • AI Aggression setting: 60
    • Session Distance: 10 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Dry and wet
    • Player Tyre: According to weather
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): Weather wasn’t shifting, assume all was on the right tyre choice
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race (not saying it didn’t happen in practice or qualifying but there it’s not as big a problem as in the race)
    Drove several races yesterday, four ten lap races with Formula Vee, one with the GTE class and I have observed the same pattern with Formula Vee on Donington, Oulton Park and Snetterton too, so it seems to be a general problem. The AI seem to bunch up, creating moving road blocks of 3-4 cars, running almost side by side for most of the lap. This is somewhat realistic for Formula Vee but it is way exaggerated. Had the same experience with the GTE cars in the wet where the AI had no problem going side by side in groups of four although cars on the slightly drier line seems to have no advantage whatsoever. And this doesn’t seem to be about slower cars catching up with faster, the cars within these groups of four switches places with nobody being able to break away once they have passed. Running the latest update, by the way.

Having said that, racing against the AI is coming close to perfection. Some fine tuning and it is second to none.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

Car: Formula Vee
    Track: Donington and Oulton park
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Both back straights
    Session Distance: 10 laps
    Setup: custom, but not relevant for this issue

During the race, I noticed that the AI was able to have two wheels in the dirt, whilst driving at max speed. If I even think of dirt, my car spins.
    I kind of expect these cars to not handle off-track very well, especially when driving flat out, but it is somewhat annoying to see the AI go around the off the track without any issue. Especially when it gives them an advantage in the braking zone.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

To say something positive about the AI in Championship Mode:
    Each driver has his own ability and character, which means that there are always the same guys frontrunners whilst others are backmarkers throughout the season, what makes the championship believable. :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Numerous Reports following

First:
    I've primarily driven Formula cars. There are instances of the same thing not happening in other car classes (eg the Daytona issue is far less prominent when I use the Cadillac).
    Nearly all of these issues are of the same variety. There seems to be a persistent theme where the AI has absolutely out-of-this-world traction on (curved) corner exits out of slow to medium speed turns. Curved corner exits are scenarios where you have to turn while accelerating. The AI is - most of the time - unreasonably quick in these scenarios, even with the accordion effect accounted for. This ruins the whole single player, because there are several tracks which have curved corner exits before "normal" overtaking points. If the AI gains 0,3-0,7 seconds before these overtaking points, racing becomes impossible.

On the other hand, they seem to struggle with heavy braking zones, where they lose all the time they gain on corner exits, and they seem to be a little too slow on the straights compared to default setup, especially as soon as they start to battle.

The issues on corner exits are generally amplified tenfold in the rain, where the AI can gain up to three seconds on curved exits, because they are nearly completely unaffected by puddles, which makes the wet AI racing one of the most frustrating experiences there are in sim racing.

Version:
    V.1.2.1.4
    Car: Formula V10
    Track: Nurburgring GP
    AI Aggression: 70%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Chicane Exit
    Description: AI gains about 0,3-0,5 tenths on the exit of the chicane (curved exit). They then gain another 1-2 tenths out of the final corner. This ruins overtaking on this circuit (but you can do it into the 90 degree corner after Schumacher-S, because they brake far too early for that one).

Track: Silverstone GP
    AI Strength: 102%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Exit last corner and exit out of the double hairpin
    Description: AI gains 3-4 tenths on these exits, which is a huge problem for overtaking, because two out of three realistic overtaking opportunities are taken away. On the other hand, on the approach to the final chicane, they lose around 5 tenths every lap.

Car: Formula V10 and Formula 3
    Track: VIR
    AI Strength: 104 and 106%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Exit out of Horse Shoe, exit out of Left Hook and exit out of Rollercoaster
    Description: AI gains 2-3 tenths out of Horseshoe (not so bad, but fits the curved-exit-pattern), AI gains 7-8 tenths out of Left Hook, which lead to bull**** moves into the first "S"-section, AI gains 3-5 tenths out of Rollercoaster, which leads to bull**** moves into the last two corners.

Track: Spa-Francorchamps 2020
    AI Strength: 104%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Exit bus stop, exit Fagnes and Kemmel straight
    Description: AI gains 3-4 tenths out of Bus Stop, which makes moves into La Source impossible. They also gain 3-4 tenths out of Fagnes, which leads to pointless and annoying moves into T15 (which often lead to me being in the gravel trap). They then proceed to lose all that time on Kemmel straight, up to 7-8 tenths when battling (which they almost always do). They also lose a lot of time braking for Les Combes and Bus Stop.

Track: Daytona
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Exit onto the oval.
    Description: AI gains 2-3 tenths onto the oval. Has been worse before, is already improved. Still a bit too quick out of there, though, and it fits the curved exit theme. Other corners seem to be fine. The time is gained back in the braking zones in the infield, where they are too slow.

Track: Montreal
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Basically every corner; this one is horrible. Biggest issues out of T2, out of the second chicane, into the chicane before the hairpin
    Description: AI gains 4-5 tenths out of T2. They lose about 3-7 tenths into basically every braking zone, but it's expecially bad into the last chicane before the hairpin. They gain another 4-6 tenths out of the second chicane. In general, they are completely OP on traction and completely UP (underpowered) in braking zones. As this is the only type of corner this track has, it's one of the worst experiences AMS2 has to offer.

That's all for now, but I'm sure there are a lot more problematic tracks. I'd heavily suspect Senna-S to be another bad corner for the AI (too slow in, too fast out), as well as most corners at Long Beach, where there is a lot of accelerating while turning, as well as the chicane at Goiania.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Track & Layout Used:Spa Historic
    Applicable Settings: AI at 117/90 GTE and GT1 online with humans. Dry race 12 laps p+q
    Report: GTE, ai are fast as expected for most of track and will keep up with /catch some humans in GT1 .however they are slow just after T1 going down the hill and will be easy to pass.

Steps to reproduce As above with high ai
    EDIT
    Just ran a morning online human and AI in single class seem fine, very racy and aggressive but actually fair esp comp to RL on occasion and setting 115/90 (or ag 100)
    yielding position when appropriate, and taking also. esp chicane and T1 in both scenario. (imo)

Grats @2ndLastJedi human win

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  20. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Some more issues:

Track: Long Beach
    Corner (if issue is corner specific):T6
    Description: Another curved exit OP AI scenario. Otherwise, the track is actually quite workable, but the T6 exit gifts the AI around 3-4 tenths.

Track: Silverstone 2001
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): Vale/Club Exit, to a smaller degree also Abbey and Luffield exit. Maggotts.
    Description: AI gains 6-7 tenths on the exit of Vale, which is horrible to race with, and another 3-4 tenths on Abbey and Luffield. They lose some of that time into Maggotts, where they seem to be unreasonable slow. In general, racing the AI on this track feels, once again, like racing a whole other type of car.

Just to stress this, these OP exits the AI does on almost every track are absolutely ruinous for the singleplayer experience and devalue every single bit of hard work put into making championship mode.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2