1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ultrawide perspective correction

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Shadak, May 11, 2020.

1. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Does anyone know please if there is a way to correct perspective stretching on ultra wide screens? I use the 49" super ultra wide and iRacing/ACC have a correction setting for stretching the picture. iR does this via forced tripple screen. I checked and dont seem to be able to enable triple in menu, does AMS2 have something similar please?

Tia

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

In ACC it is possible to set up a single 49" ultrawide as triple screens, and the image looks much more realistic when the monitor is set up as triples.
    Here are a couple of examples (same FOV, 49" monitor configured as single or triples):
    ferrari.jpg
    porsche.jpg

This wasn't possible in Project Cars 2, but I really hope it is possible to add a feature like this to AMS2 even though it uses the same engine as PC2.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

+1 for me. On AC I simulate triples on a 49inch ultrawide and it looks better. On AMS2 I've tried setting up the XML but triples are disabled when I start the game.

4. GJDriessen

GJDriessen Member

Is there a solution?

5. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

+1
    I too am interested in this!

6. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

yeah ACC has its own correction, dont even need triple settings. RF2 needs a workaround via ini file but it works and looks excellent, IR does this via triples too. I expect this is an engine limitation and maybe when they get triples setup working without triples, it could work as well. But we are a minority I think so it may take a while. I dont play AMS2 much anymore but when I do try it after updates, I dont notice this too much anymore tbh.

7. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

yeah agreed, would be nice to get some form of correction eventually but it's not a show stopper for sure

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

All sorts of monitor ratios are already supported in the game. Wouldn't this just be a matter of ensuring another one (32:9) is added? Does it need to involve triples?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  9. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

It's to compensate for the screen curve, which is 1000R in the case of the latest 49" G9.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Marc Collins

Interesting--hadn't thought about that. I have a curved UW screen now...is it distorted and I haven't noticed because I am not using triples setup? I have a 21:9.

11. torsteinvh

Probably not as visible on a 21:9 UW as on a 32:9 UW, but look at my images in the second post in this thread, and you can see a clear difference between correction and no correction (in ACC).
    I guess you would see a difference on a 21:9 as well.

12. Marc Collins

I see you actually get a bit wider view with the correction. I have never looked into anything to do with triples, because I have never had them or any intention of getting them (although I have considered a 32:9 monitor!). Do we need to add to the requested features list an ACC-style correction factor for AMS 2?

13. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

It's not so much about the wider view, it's more the stretching of objects at the sides of the screen.

I think for sure it should be a requested feature as these UW and Super UW screens are becoming very popular in sim racing. I have messaged Renato regarding it but a request would track it here on the forum. I'm not sure what's possible as a means of correction but it would be nice to have presets for specific curves, I mean there's really only three main curves - 1800R, 1500R and 1000R (to my knowledge anyway).

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. torsteinvh

Not only is the view wider, but if you look at the last image, you can see that the air vent next to the RaceLogic screen is completely circular, and the rear and wing mirrors have a more natural shape and size compared to the uncorrected view.

15. Nahkamarakatti

Nahkamarakatti New Member AMS2 Club Member

Still no workarounds?

16. Pete S

Pete S New Member

Why can't we at least setup the G9 as triples in AMS2?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. eSTee3

eSTee3 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

+1 for me as well... Just purchased a LC49HG90DMN and was hoping to set it up as triples but no go : (

18. CorvusCorax

CorvusCorax Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Along with the ability to set up "fake" triples as we can in ACC, I'd also suggest it'd be good to have TrackIR support in the non-VR modes.

I use a 49" 1800R 32:9 super ultrawide with head tracking via Freetrack (using an old EdTracker) which I find very immersive - not as much as VR, but a pretty decent option. It lets me have the FOV set at what's been calculated to be a realistic option (about 90 degrees for my viewing distance) and easily look to the apex / mirrors / in car displays / etc.

But I have to start the game in VR mode (with Steam VR running too) to have head tracking support, which then locks out a bunch of camera / view settings - probably including triples, if that was working.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Steve Lewis

Steve Lewis New Member AMS2 Club Member

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  20. torsteinvh

Tried it a year or so ago, but couldn't get it to work. Tempted to try again to see if anything has changed...