1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes you leave a MP session

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by twistking, Jul 7, 2021.

1. twistking

twistking Member

Hello,
    from time to time i'm running an open dedicated server with what i would think are reasonable settings for a quick race (20min quali, ~20min equiv race). (Berlin, Germany. ~20oo to ~24oo CentralEuropeanTime) I mostly have one or two friends join me, so the server starts of with three people and often attracts some more players from there.
    However very often people start leaving during the qualifying. Sometimes people join and leave immediately without comment.

I'm wondering what makes people leave so quickly. I run "realistic" settings (driving aids, tires, fuel) but have damage disabled and allow for different camera settings etc. (realistic but not pedantic "hardcore").
    I also run "dry" weather for the public races to not "scare of" players who are not familiar with tire changes etc.

Do you have any ideas how to set up the events so people don't jump off after two laps of qualifying?

Also any ideas how i could maybe promote my server? i'm not trying to build a community or become an event organizer, but when i arrange with my friends to do some races in the evening, i might as well post it somewhere so that interested people can join us.
    Maybe it would be easiest to just become steam "friends" with some drivers from the forum and do invites over steam?!
    Any feedback appreciated.

2. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

well you could post your race details on this site in the group Fan Sites & Community Events to promote your server. Post videos of your races in the appropriate section, or become one of the 'elite' whereby you have the entire worlds press at your disposal.

3. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Ive steered clear of multiplayer up until now because on the rare occasion that I have dipped my toe in the water Ive been put off by wreckers or generally poor driving standards. Feel free to send me an invite though and I'd be happy to drop in from time to time (and I promise I wont leave after a few laps of qualifying although if Im slow you may have to get the blue flags ready). As regards your specific question- no idea. Perhaps there needs to be a "gentlemen's cup" where considerate but competitive driving is more important than being the first sperm to the line :D Anyway, feel free to look me up on steam, same name as here.

4. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

20 minutes training and 20 minutes Quali is to long.
    I usually don't set up traning at all. traning is best done offline on your own. Quali 15 max on long tracks like Spa etc. and 6 laps max. I dont wan't to spend more than 30 minutes on a casual session.

Other no gos and insta leave matters:
    No damage, because it should hurt when you do dumb things
    No manual pit stop, because the AI often touches stuff at pit exit
    Ghost cars, because you can't defend your position
    Driving aids, for obvious reasons
    Accelerated time or wear.
    Rain, night, fog.

oh, and no GTE or GT3/4, something with clutch and H-pattern like M1, Class C, or the upcoming 1974 911 RSR.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jimortality

jimortality Active Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I never leave.. Unless it's some dude using me as a brakepoint.. but actually never happens.. Unless it is some dude with kart in his name... :rolleyes:

But I spin, I crash, whatever.. I just continue and do my very best.. Like no one ever was!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Sundaygloom

Sundaygloom New Member

Could be laggy for them, or your significantly faster than them and they don't want to bother losing, maybe it's a car they're unfamiliar with and couldn't handle well enough to continue.
    I'll only join a lobby with a car I know I can handle well enough to race with and not mess up anyone else's race. I don't tend to leave races once I join unless people are intentionally trying to mess with me.

8. ray64040

ray64040 Member AMS2 Club Member

As mentioned I think 20 min qual for a 20 min race is too long. If I'm struggling to dial in the setup or struggling with a fixed setup, I'll quit during qual to not be the guy losing control multiple times.
    This isn't directed at you as I'm not sure what car and track combos you host, but some you can just tell are destined for over half the field wrecking early.

9. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer AMS2 Club Member

for me the biggest issue with multiplayer in general is this whole lobby system, the fact that u cant join as qualy is getting near the end or if the race is in progress.

overall i think there are too many steps to getting in and out of races.
    ideally for sprint races would be a server without practice and qualy and just 5-10laps depending on the track. from one race to another, so even if u get wrecked out, in 10min is the next race.

but the way it is in ams2, u always have to qualy, u have to find a lobby that has enough time left in qualy for you to join, and enough people in it.

its not like there arent enough people for races, but u just cant really fill up a server without long enough qualy and even if, half the ppl leave during the first few laps anyways.

i would rework the whole multiplayer logic tbh.
    was thinking about modding my game/server and hosting server so that people could join even during the race but i assume its either not possible due to being done by the client itself (havent looked into it, just my assumtion) or people simply dont join cuz they dont even expect to be able to join once its in race-state.

at the same time there are people who seem to be clearly against a "join race in progress" system due to fear of getting slammed out mid race by someone who just joined, so i guess an option for that would be recommanded

10. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

I believe some click on join the server and, when in the initial screen, the notice they won't be allowed to enter the track, because there's less than 90 (if I remember well) seconds left to the end of the qualifying. So they disconnect and go find another server where they can start driving immediately.

I think drivers should be allowed to join the server until the very end of the qualifying. Why a limit of 90 or 60 seconds to the end instead of 5 seconds? It will make no difference. In any case, the driver that just joined will start from the end because there will be no time for him to set a qualifying lap.

At least now, when the game lobbies are not very populated yet, joining a multiplayer session could be a bit less bureaucratic, in my opinion.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I don’t get to drive online much in the evenings or weekends due to work and general life commitments, but as a freelancer working for myself I can get online during the day (if I’ve done all my work.) That means there’s very little choice to start with, add in servers with tracks and car combos I don’t have experience with and the choice goes down again. Also, as @F1 Hero says above, you’ve got the whole timer thing during qualifying which can make you skip to another server.

Maybe if MP really picks up internationally there’ll be greater choice of all types of server content. Ideally I’d like to join a regular server and get to know some fellow racers with the hope you can enjoy good racing, good competition and know that most of the people there just want to race and have fun.

As it is now once I’ve joined a server I’m in for as long as possible, mostly because it’s so hard to find something to join. So I’ll crack on regardless of what happens; turn one massacres, poor race craft, my own ineptitude or bad setup woes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lucas Vieira

Lucas Vieira Member

Agree with 90 minutes praticing, 20 minutes qualy its just too much. 10m each or even less depends of the track its more than enough.

In my case i also compare my lap times with others, if there is a huge gap between my lap times and the others, there is no point to run alone in the race. The fun part its to overtake and try to defend your position. The mind games.

And for me, the track / car behavior, some cars you need to readapt your mentality to get used to the car, and there some days you just aren't in the mood to try that combo car x track.

13. Wild Cheese

Wild Cheese New Member

Session length: would rarely join a random MP session that is >30m. Would suggest 10mQ/15mR sessions to keep things fresh and moving. Looking for Q<R and Q+R<=30.

Players in the session: we tend to seek the busy lobbies but also abandon the lobbies with too few players. Quite volatile player counts and sessions that get past a critical mass can suddenly fill up as they pull in the players browsing the server list.

Session time remaining: the time-remaining summary in the browser could be old or there's the cutoff to join in qualy, either way sometimes join a session but then can't get on track so have to leave.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Most of the lobbies have 15/20 min P or/and Q and then 5 laps of racing, lol. I hate that. Personally I want 30 mins of P, 15 mins of Q and then 20 - 30 mins of racing.

However, most of the online playerbase basically quit after a lap or 2. Spin = quit. Crash = quit. Boring race = quit. Some one better = quit, etc etc. That want instant satisfaction and lack the dedication or the race-awareness.

I would love longer racers, but public lobbys aren't made for that. Leagues or AI/SP are great for that. 45-1 hour race in GT3's or Race 1 & 2 of 25 minutes / 12 laps for F-trainer for example. Just like real life. Oh wait. Real life is 8 laps per race. At last in junior or so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

In fact I see no need for practice at all. You can practice offline 25/7/365
    I always substitute practice with 15min qualifying, rolling start for touring cars, so 5 laps since the first is a formation lap, and the last is cooldown Add 5 Quali laps and you have made 12 laps in one session. for Spa that's 84 Km in about 20 minutes Thats quite enough for me to make me need a shower afterwards. Those 20 minutes more than often already contain at least one interuption by wives, kind, cats or dogs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

I've seen lobbies with a car/track combination I like the look of, and when I get in there it changes to something else, which I may not like the look of.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

The only sim where I have experienced something that felt like RL race events was some of iRacings official races.
    But not in the most popular classes - but instead in some of the less populated ones like Lotus 79 and Nissan GTP ZXT.
    Because to go official where you could earn/loose rating points the participation had to be more than 6-8 cars. And in these less populated classes that ment it was only on saturday or sunday a single race could gather (in a good day) about 15-20 cars.

But - and now comes my point - because such one (or maybe two) races in a week became The Race that week it became very URGENT for each of the participants.;)
    Each had fighted to create or get offered a custom setup.
    And had practiced the whole week looking forward for The Race of this week.

Raceday: 2-3 laps qualifying shortly before the race was mandatory if you didnt want to start from completely back grid (or from pits).
    And I can garantee you that waiting on the starting light sequence on your grid position raised just as much adrenaline in your bloodstream as if it had been a RL racing start.:D

ByTheWay: The psychological downside of this race event realism was ofcourse that if your own error or (often) another drivers error took you out in the race it was very hard to stay relaxed and smiling. But I can also garantee that the feeling of success if you felt you ended up in the exact position you deserved was 100 times higher than the meh meh feeling people who join 10-20 MP races a week feels.:cool:

18. ozcanuck

ozcanuck Active Member

Long races ( I dont have time usually for more than 15-20 mins) and been punted off and being wrecked or so far back I'll be driving alone. A few seconds back and I'll give it a try, someone else usually crashes!

• Like Like x 1
  19. twistking

twistking Member

thanks for the feedback.
    can you recommend a discord server where i could advertise my session and at the same time utilize a discord voice channel? i know that i could easily create my own discord, but if there was already a popular discord server for that sort of semi public sessions, it would maybe be more elegant.

@Sunscreen I could not find you on steam (there are a bunch of users that share your name), but feel free to add me (same name, same profile pic) for some gentleman's racing at central european evening hours.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For me, an hour is too long, I do that in leagues sometimes but not often. I actually think 30 minutes is too long, I just did (2) 30 minute races yesterday and didn't really feel a benefit over 20 minutes.

I like the SRS setup with 10 minutes for qualifying and a 20 minute race. However, I think 5 minutes for qualifying would be better since the qualifying time always goes an extra few minutes for people to complete their laps.

I would also enjoy 5 lap sprints with no practice/qualifying, reversing the grid after each round. During the week, this would probably be where I spend the most time, especially once Reiza adds official weekly combos.