1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.0.0 & Racin´ USA Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.2.1.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 4, 2021.

1. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

GM brakes too late in every sim and drives every car the same way, only AC lets him get away with it. Watching him try to drive FWD cars is comical. He's an entertainer but there's not much to learn from his analyses.

There is a bug with the mini HUD - it doesn't update in real time. I was doing donuts in the 720S (don't ask) and the HUD remained green throughout. Only when I cycled to telemetry HUD did the tyres suddenly turn red.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

hmmm...
    So I know you said don't ask, but...
    How? :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Leynad

Leynad Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's what I'm saying, but he's a good example of the average sim-racer. All have their GT3-braking-points and it's not helping if AMS2 needs others. In the mentioned F Trainer (before the physics-amputation) I needed to brake in the dry way before a GT3-car in ACC in the rain to get the corner and doesn't make sense with cars under half a ton of weight. Cars can and should be difficult and challenging to drive, but I guess (not only) the McLaren F1 (road) has better brakes in real life than AMS2. I suggested already months ago to improve the brakes instead of slashing the dynamics, but Reiza did the opposite.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  4. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

I don't tend to look at the HUD in AMS2 while I drive. I just mentioned that they were all green as when I had the comical walking speed (you will not catch me puny human) spin in the past they were green (at least now I know that that mini HUD is useless!). I do look at the HUD in rF2 though, as you need to pay close attention in hour long races, but I'm still in the dabbling stage with AMS2 because it never really felt right. Today though, I felt for the first time (with the GT3 R) like I was able to feel the front and rear limits and play with them (I could even feel the line tighten when I played with the throttle for the final hair-pin), and I could do this over many more laps than I could before when that comical low speed spin brought things to disappointing end. I drove this car today expecting no change, but I was really pleasantly surprised.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Split Second

Split Second Active Member

I came across this video on youtube and many agreed with him, also a few that are the top of the sim world.
    And again we hear how the car feels like it is not connected to the road (which I already said while not even having the sim).
    It seems like there is little positive things on youtube for AMS2. What you constantly hear, no matter if it is just or not is the connection with Project Cars 2.
    It seems like Project Cars 2 had a few loyal supporters and the same is happening to AMS2. The same stories of people defending and others trashing it seem to follow the same path. I would like to know if Reiza is fine with how many people they attract? Or did they had something like ACC in mind.
    It seems like everything Kunos touches it gets much praise and if SMS touches it and everyone having something connected to it is being burned to the ground.
    I don't know what to think anymore about the physics and bounciness, etc... but I still have many doubts when I look at the videos.
    Here is the video

6. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

DISCLAIMER: This is a general answer and not pointed at any user in particular!

The best way to make an own opinion about it is to try it out. One thing is clear tho: AMS2 is measured by different standards because of the games foundation and the predecessor alone and has a lot of rose tinted glasses effect to it on both sides of the evaluation spectrum...

For me AMS2 never had the biggest issues in "bouncyness". There is a lot of discrepancy between sims and settings in general and no-one gets it totally right.

I was a huge advocate for the topic of driveline issues influencing AMS2 negatively, which is now more and more rectified with the tools and gained knowledge at hand, also this was leading to my contribution for more in depth testing. I still have a lot to complain about single classes, but the overall fundamental driving behaviour is completely fine and people often exaggerate a lot, because expectations (also mine) can vary a lot.

Some say it has too much grip, some say it has not enough grip, some say "it sucks", some might say "it's the holy grail and a paradigm shift".

Seeing this video, making definitive statements about "physics not great" without any foundation to explain such a base of throwing knowledge into the ether is questionable at least tho.

After all, we shouldn't fall for the trap of using YT content as a mirror of the overall perception, enjoyment and wishes of the player base. After all, they're also users with wishes and preferences.

Only you can make your opinion. Parroting YTers opinions or being "influenced" too much by other peoples/creators opinions is hurting the own integrity. If you try it open minded and find it to be not enjoyable, that's totally fine. There is a refund option, when staying under 2h (which unfortunately is not much of course) on steam.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 7
  7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Describing AMS2 as "floaty" just tells me there is something wrong with that person's FFB setup and that there is no further point in listening to their opinion until they sort it out. You can make all sorts of valid criticisms at AMS2, but a "floaty" FFB ain't one of them.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

A bit too generic maybe but there are some cars that do indeed feel a little "floaty" or "mushy". The Cayman is one of them. I love the GTE/GT3 and many other cars in this game that do not even remotely feel mushy or floaty, but the cayman definately does to me. I have a 981 Boxster in the garage and although its not a race car, its certainly nowhere near as mushy or floaty (or bouncy) as the cayman in AMS2. So, how can it just be FFB when the other cars feel great and very communicative?

As for setups. I really prefer to load a predefined setup and go and certainly don't want to go watching youtube videos. Besides, half the time you have to wipe your setups anyway when a patch is released. I have a feeling Kimi doesn't go choosing his detailed setup but instead reports understeer/oversteer in turns X,Y,Z, lack of acceleration out of corner A etc and then goes off to have his ice cream.

Instead, what I'd like to see that could both act as a learning guide for those interested as well as setup wizard for those who don't care is an actual race engineer option (Who I thought was the person who actually did the setup tweaks based on driver input). It could operate something like this..

You start with a basic setup obviously. In the pits at any given circuit after a few test laps, you enter the Race Engineer menu option, select the type of circuit feature , eg Corner, Chicane, Straight, then this drills down further to more options. For example, Corner expands to options Hairpin, tight, medium, long. Once the feature is selected you then select your issues such as understeer on entry, oversteer on exit etc etc. This then pops up a list of setup tuning that is suggested by engineer.. eg ARBS + 5, damper -2 etc. You can change the amount of the adjustment or just go as is. Rinse repeat. This shows the sort of things that are tuned to effect various issues so you can learn about setup tweaking as you go, or completely ignore it all and just go with whatever the race engineer suggests and then complain on the radio later. This also caters for tweaking based on your driving technique because you are the one reporting the issues that you need fixing.

There's plenty of scope for making setups a much more approachable aspect to any sim if you ask me that does not require watching youtube videos.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Split Second

Yeah yeah. I don't want to put it on me. I just wanted to present his view and people like Jardier in the comments. He is also a big simmer and I follow him from the start and I like him very much. And he has massive influence and is also honest.
    But it seems like viewers keep seeing some of the same issues.
    This has me questioning if all these people perceive the same thing or are grouping in. And I think they are genuine.
    If it was only the game and it was on Xbox I would have bought it a long time ago. When PC2 was out on xbox one I got it when it was out. I am just not a really pc player and the most difficult thing is that I don't have a steering wheel. Also the last few years I have started playing less and less (which is weird after playing my whole life). So yeah I am sort of committed uncommitted. But here I wanted to present another view. It seems like youtube is getting overwhelmed with these negative views for AMS2.
    I am curious. Do you see some signature in AMS2 with the physics? Like people in general are praising ACC so much and bashing AMS2 constantly.
    Do people agree here that ACC is the benchmark in physics and that is where AMS2 needs to go too? I just don't know what physics AMS2 wants to represent.
    One thing I have said before and is important I think is that Reiza needs to sort out the deleting folders and calibrating problems and such. How many times I have read here that the car feels totally different when deleting a folder or doing the calibration of brake pedals and such twice. That to me should be handled another way. Because it is creating lots of confusion and I think people who put the title away because they don't know it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CrimsonEminence

AMS2 is not simulating ACC. So much should be said.
    It seems to catch viewers :D
    Honestly, there are equally as many positive sides.

Jardier was hyping the game back then btw. even such a broken car like the Lancer. Now he is disappointed...yeah...well... (at least he isn't toxic or trying to proclaim any definitive BS. His opinions are his and are fine)

Sorry, but when it comes to physics, there is not much to discuss, when it comes to YT videos (at least on the general user side). They're opinion pieces like every other user is allowed to give them. They're as worth as opinion, as non-creators. But definetly not "more worth".^^

11. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

strangely, Hermin's latest video is pretty positive about Ams2..

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Split Second

Yeah AMS2 is not simulating ACC.
    I am on the discord of Jardier. And I kept pushing him to try AMS2. He then put out a video of the caterham the only car he liked in the sim. He even mentioned my avatar name Bliman. I remember that he looked forward to AMS2 before it came out. And I think that he finds it far too much like PC2 in handling.
    And yes I get they are opinions but they mean a whole lot in regards to revenue.
    One thing that I am struggling with. And that would also be the case if I would have the game.
    Let's say I find the car floaty (and I don't mean ffb but what I see in how the car behaves) but I cannot put my finger on it why. How should someone convey that to the developer? You cannot put some numbers at it and such but the issue can be real. The same with the way a car behaves, not everyone has the numbers or is an engineer but can for example tell that something is not right. Can you only address it if you have the numbers how it should be? It seems difficult to get forwards.

13. CrimsonEminence

Not as much, as it might seem. But continuously banging on the same topic without founded knowledge and using own expectations and habits as definitive fact and using this to make content on it is definetly more harmful, than just to leave it be. This shouldn't be your concern as a potential customer, tho.
    You can't because you haven't tried it.
    Translating and filtering reports is part of the developers job. They're finding solutions...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. CrimsonEminence

And still propagating his own expectations as universal fact of bad physics.

15. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Usually the one bashing AMS2 are the ones very "related" to ACC...

You can also notice how most YTbers were very positive about AMS2 and other titles too until they moved to ACC, especially the ones being part of big events or releasing reviews about ACC or guides about it even on external YT channels with big sponsors or brands behind (like GG_Overtake which is related to Porsche)...

Thinking bad...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Split Second

Don't extrapolate it on me (you even have someone above who feels in part it is floaty and he owns it). But I guess these things are discussed in the beta forum.

17. CrimsonEminence

Please let's keep some distance to any potential conspiracy theories. This is not less harmfull. :D'

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Split Second

Yeah but for a fact I know that Jardier is very genuine and I believe him. Maybe I am not looking in the right place. But it seems like ACC is universally praised and Kunos is treated like a god.
    While with AMS2 it is again this split thing like PC2.

19. CrimsonEminence

These things are discussed everywhere. And it is again also a matter of own expectations, impressions, settings and outcomes of interacting circumstances.

For reports of oddities, there are bug report threads in the forums. I would be happy to invite some of the YTers with the strongest opinions to post their experiences of in depth testing with a proper report there, so it can help to improve the game and maybe also interactively help to make their content they make on it, better. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

And Jimmy ..well...you know, the same old stuff.... (170k)

• Funny Funny x 1