1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 Dedicated Server Tool / SteamCMD Support

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Dave Stephenson, May 29, 2020.

1. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I did some races on my dedicated server thursday night, had a lot of people disconnect after qually and before the race, i heard that there were others have a issue as well in their lobbies, have any of you guys experienced this more often in the past?

I did not run on a dedicated server earlier, so thats why i dont really trust it

2. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Could you give more info please? Was the DS running on a 64bit windows OS? What was the track? How many players were in?

I agree the DS is sensitive to some of the networking job it has to do, to the point where it will start crapping the bed and losing connections. However aside for giving detailed reports of such events, ain't much we can do right now.

3. Roy Niessink

Yeah it is running on a 64bit windows, it happened 2 different tracks, and around 20 players, however i was watching a bcrcgaming stream yesterday on steam who created a lobby and they had the same issue where himself and a couple others got disconnected at the start of the race, so i dont actually think its a problem with the server, as it worked well before the latest patch of the game.

I will do some more testing the next week to see what happens

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Shriukan

I think there is an essential issue with the DS because most issues start happening above 16 players. It's as if even though the 32 bit client is running on a 64bit OS, the program still can't properly handle more than 16 people.

The pC2 Linux DS can hold much better being native 64 bit but even on some bigger tracks, like Nords or Le Mans, it will start lagging badly above 20 drivers.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Roy Niessink

Ok so if i can i will test out a max 16 car grid and a larger one to see if it makes a difference

6. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Oooof, seems like there are still issues with DS. It's why my group stepped away from AMS2 until we see some real progress with multiplayer improvements. I hope more resources are put towards fixing/polishing multiplayer and DS as we speak. I'm sure there are more folks with the same opinion. Finger crossed, by September we see some fixes and features for multiplayer.

One option I would really like to see is allowing people to rejoin a race if they get disconnected after the race starts. That way the entire race lobby doesn't need to be restarted because someone errored out for one reason or another.

2nd option I would like to see is being able to do a reverse grid race based on the results of the 1st race, even if a different track is selected for the 2nd race.
    eg: Practice, Quali, and Race 1st race. Quali sets grid for 1st race.
    Practice and Race 2nd race. Results for 1st race sets grid for 2nd race.
    1st and 2nd race could be on 2 totally different tracks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. BERGER

BERGER New Member

Why, the dedicated server is set no joinable? This happens all time after last update. Please Reiza, do the right thing! 201573497_4516467408364727_474562159236109296_n.jpg

8. kmikiwi

kmikiwi Member

It is showed while there is not any driver/host connected to server, when someone join to the server it change to joinable.

9. BERGER

BERGER New Member

It only changes to joinable if I'm on the server, another pilot doesn't.

10. Shriukan

There is nothing for Reiza to do. That indicator has got nothing to do with others being able to join or not. If others can’t join your lobby while empty then it is because it is not showing up to them for some reason, whether you are in or not, implying there might be a firewall issue.

Can other people see your server, both filled and empty?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. arpego

arpego Member

Guys, I am having issues with attribute "DistanceTravelled" of lap events from "api/log/range" (web api). Most times it gives the right amount of meters (or very close one, considering that a car can make a range of different driving lines, even going off-track), but some times it returns 10x, even 20x times the length of the track.
    For example, this is a lap on NurburgringGP (trackid:899109770)
    ```
    {
    "index" : 204,
    "time" : 1626389317,
    "name" : "Lap",
    "refid" : 46529,
    "participantid" : 1,
    "attributes" : {
    "Lap" : 5,
    "LapTime" : 132052,
    "Sector1Time" : 43646,
    "Sector2Time" : 52896,
    "Sector3Time" : 35510,
    "RacePosition" : 2,
    "DistanceTravelled" : 255990,
    "CountThisLapTimes" : 0
    }
    }
    ```
    How this guy could be done 256km on a single lap!? lol

PS: I am using the latest updates, on server and clients.

12. Neem

Neem New Member

yes I think the ‘joinable’ is not a true indicator. I think it means that someone has created a host and it can now be joined. So this only switches to joinable after at least one person is in. I think I’m right in saying that the server is not a host itself, it just coordinates for the first joiner to be the host and handles communication between new members and tries to keep communication in order. (Could be wrong with that).

I’ve noticed that folks far from me cannot see my server so it could be that the server list will automatically hide servers with high ping from you. That seems to be the common issues with my members who can’t connect (they are in Australia, I am UK and whilst they have joined sometimes, generally they cannot see it.)

13. Gordon_Jacobson

Gordon_Jacobson Member

Hi,

Anyone experience this?

Server listed in game browser one minute then the next it is no longer listed?

Restarted everything from the router\firewall\hosting server, nothing seemed to work...

Since all was working then just stopped, any ideas? Game browser no longer shows the server...

14. Julien Lemoine

Julien Lemoine New Member

Hello,
    When someone hosts a paying tour and the others do not, it works. But, when it's on the dedicated, it tells me that I don't have the content, it's a bug or it's normal ?

15. Shriukan

The DS is just a rebroadcaster. It is the place where the connections synchronise. The server still needs a host and the host needs to have the DLC content to launch the session and have players without the DLC join. Just like in P2P lobbies.

16. roszman

roszman Well-Known Member

Hey, is it possible to set race length in minutes?

17. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, you need to add the TIMED_RACE flag to your Flags config entry the the RaceLength entry will be minutes instead of laps.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Julien Lemoine

Ok, thanks for the info :)

Also, would it be possible to have one result file per session?

19. Shriukan

Only by doing it manually. Stop the server. Cut the file someplace else and restart server.

20. Julien Lemoine

For a timetrial system, this is problematic. Maybe it could be an interesting feature for the future.
    Even if I have solutions to get around the problem as a web developer. Some people don't have the knowledge.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021