1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.0.0 & Racin´ USA Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.2.1.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 4, 2021.

1. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, you have to test!!! That's what setup work is!!!

Why are you accusing me of being disingenuous? I changed the rear spring to 322 and the diff was 100/2/80/40 from my own base package. This is what I have been trying to tell you, now for the 4th time. increase springs and increase the unlocking of the diff. thats it.

I got the porsche to spin just fine. as soon as the rears get out of the "fresh" phase it oversteers like normal.

2. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

@oez
    Epic film!

3. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Folks, stop measuring sims by other games. The only measure that has any meaning is the perceptions in real life, and how well the game emulates that. Im sticking to AMS2 because its currently the only sim, next to DiRT Rallies H2,H3 classes that gives me the feel I'm looking for.

There are plenty of issues, but at least AMS2 is neither as "slippy" (if not to say floaty) like PCARS 2, nor that "rail like" and lifeless as AC.

I' m waiting for the classic Porsche Carrera 911, because that is my personal measure ruler for all sims, since that day in 1985 when my stepdad put one in carrera brown in the driveway as our new family member. (That was also the day I got infected with "petrol in the blood" depite growing up in a FIAT dealership)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Which is what @CrimsonEminence looked to do in his video a pages or so back :p

5. McClutch

double post!

6. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, but i forgot to add full front toe, would've been able to gymkhana this stance naysh car the whole day then...

7. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just one thing.
    500Nm of preload are of course massive, but hardly a spool on a car able to push 5000Nm to the wheels in first gear.

Please consider an OPEN diff is managing around 5% of torque difference between axles in real life, so…(just this simple implementation would greatly improve the bad behavior of some open diff cars like the Opala 86).

So, in general yes, I used the hammer, but just because the usual precision tools are failing in the specific case. As soon as they become useful I’ll be glad to come back to them.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CrimsonEminence

And in this case i completely agree. Preload should more influence the state between coast and power, instead of being an adjustment for overall lock in general. This is still a bit wonky in AMS2.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

For the record: I'm still not fully happy with the way clutch LSD behaves either :p. In case anyone thinks otherwise.

Yeah this was exaggeration from my point of view. But it does bring us back to AMS2's spool days from a handling point of view.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

This can be the case in real life.
    You mentioned that you're not quite the expert (yet) on setup, which is totally fine, so maybe this analogy helps.

Imagen that you have 10 dial dials. These sails can be all set to either understeer or oversteer.
    Out of the box all ten dials are pretty much set to understeer, which results in an understeery car (This is a real problem in my opinion).

The diff preload is just one of those dials. This means that to get the car to behave, like you want it to, using only that dial, you'll have to turn this dial up to something ridiculous, before the effect becomes apparent.
    This isn't unrealistic though. Setting all these dials slightly to the oversteery side would result in realistic behaviour, with realistic settings.

This doesn't mean issues don't exist of course but this can make it difficult to make a statement like: " turn setting X to value Y and your problems will be gone".

I personally feel that having better baseline setups would prevent most of these issues though. Steelcast has shown that setups can improve cars immensely, so clearly it's possible. Whether we should expect beginners to fully understand all of this though?....

Anyway...... That Alfa though:oops::oops::oops:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. CrimsonEminence

Without evaluation, what is discussed here, but 570 Nm preload is HIGHLY unlikely to be used in real life cars, also race cars...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

Yes exactly, but that is not my point.
    What I meant is that you need to set this parameter this high to overcome the understeery nature of the rest of the setup. This is indeed highly unrealistic, as was pointed out before. IRL you would setup the whole suspension differently, so you don't need these ridiculous preloads.
    But I do get the frustration of someone who's not an expert on this topic.
    Hopefully this makes my previous post a little more clear. It quite late here so if I'm coming across rambly, that's probably it,

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. CJRacing

CJRacing Member

First, it started from a basic response to the input. These are 1250kg machines with 500hp and decent but not obscene aero. They should spin on throttle mashing.

Second, while comparing to other games is debatable, we should be able to look at AMS1 as a guide to how Reiza expects these cars to react. So at a minimum if there is a big gap in behavior between the two titles, we should explore the issue.

14. CJRacing

CJRacing Member

Not only that, but to be told to wait until the tires start to heat up in an uncertain amount of time before we can even measure the effects of a change. Now do that for 10 different fields on 20 different cars across 30 tracks and you can see why AMS2 might struggle to find a place among average sim racers.
    Again, I just want to see it addressed. That was the whole point. For at least a few posters it was treated like it wasn’t a real issue in any way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

it's a brick...but try with this improbable setup

speedr.jpg

16. CJRacing

CJRacing Member

I don’t think Reiza’s goal should be to make users test all the cars to get them to operate how the race teams actually run. It’s primarily a racing sim, not setup tester game. I would be surprised if they agree with you.

17. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

So you don’t understand setups and now don’t want to test. But you sit here qualified to pass judgement on the game and those that do. Great work. Thanks for the value add.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. CJRacing

CJRacing Member

You’re missing the point. Some sim racers like to race the cars, some like to play with setups, some like a combo of both. Not everyone has to like it the way you do.

But at a baseline level, the expectation is there should be a simple way to drive the car as typically driven. And when the car doesn’t behave that way, it’s fair to question the problem.

I’m confident I already added value since a few people (like you) were in complete denial there was even a problem. Now you begrudgingly can say areas of my issue could be improved.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. McClutch

We all agree for quite a long time that the preset setups are neither authentic, nor good. The sole purpose for sems to cater the TT crowd. Tyre grip is an issue, too much on power and not enough on braking. Noone is defending that. What we do right now is waiting for end of July. any discussion about the state of the sim can continoued then.

AMS2, a new expenrice with every upgrade. And i cn tell you, the amount of my friends willing to playAMS2 is decreasing with every update that changes everything. I myslef feel like back then in the 90's at university in some kind of our wierd engineering student projects in the basements.

20. CrimsonEminence

Apropos update experience:

Guys btw. it could happen, that the GTE are set to TC/ABS off (EDIT: ABS is of course not avaiable, called by habit) in the by button activation, after they had taken away TC/ABS by mistake for one build. Put it back to "low" (and preferably use authentic aids) if you experience no TC whatsoever for GTE cars. :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2