1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I cannot understand how the brakes in this game work

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Tranzitive, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Tranzitive

Tranzitive New Member

So I picked this up during the Steam Summer sale, along with the season pass.

I've put almost 30 hours into it so far, so have played it quite a bit, but I still cannot make any sense at all of how the brakes work in this game.

I have done extensive testing in time trial mode to try to understand it and the braking performance is so inconsistent it's just utterly bizarre. Same car, same track, same air temp etc.... all variables the same. What I did what fully depress the brake pedal each time to keep the brake pressure the same, and did this at the same braking points each time.

Sometimes the car will stop well before the corner and I'll actually have to accelerate again. Sometimes the car stops where I want it to. Sometimes the car hardly stops at all and just flies straight off. I know people are going to say "you are locking the brakes." But this is actually what I was trying to do, and a lot of the time I can't even get the brakes to lock. There is no brake locking sound, not tire smoke, and no feeling of locking from the FFB on the wheel. This was with the Porsche GTE and the GTE cars aren't supposed to have ABS.

I have calibrated my pedals in game and in the Thrustmaster software. I'm running a set of T3PAs. I actually thought it might be a problem with the potentiometers so I cleaned them. In the brake calibration menu everything is working fine. I have absolutely no problems with braking in any other game. ACC, F1 2020, GT Sport, even Dirt Rally 2.0, my pedals are working fine and my braking is fine. It is this game alone that is giving me issues.

When I was running my tests in time trial I opened that display that shows you the accelerator, brake, and clutch input, and also brake temp. What is really bizarre is that even though the brake pedal is fully depressed, sometimes the brake force will only be around 30%, then it will go up to 100%, then maybe back down again, almost as if some type of hidden ABS is kicking in. But as I said this was with a GTE car which isn't supposed to have ABS. I have checked the driver aids menu and this is set to 'authentic' so I do not have ABS turned on. The brake temps will also increase but then start to decrease again, which shouldn't happen if the pedal is fully depressed as the temps should just continue to increase, right?

I honestly cannot understand what is going on with the braking in this game. It is unbelievably frustrating and this makes it basically impossible to have enjoyable races and definitely impossible to race closely.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

This sounds key. It doesn’t happen with me so I reckon it is the specific issue. Can you test two things?
    1. Set ABS to off instead of authentic (I know this shouldn’t be required, but could reveal a bug)
    2. Try decreasing brake pressure to say 70% via setup and see if you still get the weird fluctuation.
    It going down to 30% is most definitely related. Those input graphs don’t lie so you are indeed not braking hard at times. Just difficult to troubleshoot why that is…

3. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

May or may not be, I had the same symptoms with brakes and acc at different times.and readings with effects as yours, swapped out the clutch pot with brake (least used, and confirmed pot ) Also test with an Ohm meter. pots were cleaned (aerosol electrical) , then later stripped and cleaned trace metal fingers (2000 grit paper) inside, this only delayed replacement for a short while
    Gte this end lockups are heard and felt np. All classes inc abs, set to off.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

This got me to post an answer.
    My guess is that you have caught Thrustmasters idiotic autocalibration service.:rolleyes:
    The software to some (or all?) of Thrustmasters pedals have a constant autocalibration of the brake code build in.
    The result is that even after you have calibrated the pedals then this goofy "feature" are not switched of.
    Further "autocalibration" goes on and on.:confused:

So when you get the car on track and does press your brake a little more "full" than before - then the SW move the 100% pressure (= max press) a little further down.
    And some minutes later you cannot press fully down without some tampering with your leg muscle.
    Check these links out - hehe or just google Thrustmaster autocalibrating brake.

https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/elgne3/any_way_to_lock_in_calibration_for_t3pa_pedals/
    t-gt pedals - conical brake mod - no calibration?

ByTheWay: A further Thrustmaster issue related to this auto thing is that before you start a game up you have to press the the brake pedal fully down to at least get the Thrustmaster brakes to brake more than just about 30% inside the game.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Tranzitive

Tranzitive New Member

Alright this might explain it, thanks for the link and advice, let me give it a try :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

How come I wasn't aware of this for so many years using T3PA??? This is kind of smart but terrible at the same time...

I was always under impression that it was my fault for braking inconsistencies but I'm much happier now that I can blame autocallibration instead :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

@stealthradek you have answered your own question :) - because the reason it isnt more wellknown is that its pretty sneaky to conclude that it is something in the Thrustmaster code that is to blame for this bad braking behaviour.

ByTheWay: Hehe and if you search a bit around then there is still some out there who does insist/believe that it is only some racing games that is hounted :p

8. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

The cheap plastic one that came with wheels ?
    I never had problems wit the metal pro's.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No, the T3PA is three pedal and metal, I have the same but never recognised such an issue.

10. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, the GT edition so different plates but everything else is the same:

[​IMG]

They're not fantastic but do the job (or so I thought o_O). I wouldn't expect recallibration every time they're pressed, which with conical brake "mod" it will differ every time because they go deeper with more force. I'll take they will be fine if first calibration is with heaviest foot so it won't reach that level again, but it's a terrible workaround.

I smell upgrade ;)

11. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Ι hope tlcm's do not have this "problem":confused:

12. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

I have those. They don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

I had hard times with the T3PA and AMS2 too. I didn't know about the autocalibration issue, and it explains why so much trouble with these pedal set and the conical mod.

I used to set an exponential sensitivity curve on AMS2 which made the brake pedal feels better, but ultimately never experienced a good enough feeling to be consistent with the brake application.

Later on I bought the Thrustmaster TRJ12 USB interface to connect the pedals instead to plug them to the T300 base. It was a lot better, partially because the TRJ12 interface have some more options and resolution, and may be because its driver might actually doesn't have the autocalibration feature, I don't know.

Anyway, all my problems with the brake pedal were solved by investing in the T-LCM pedal set. I really think all T3PA owners might consider that upgrade to definitely solve Thrustmaster brake consistency (lack of it).

14. Dady Cairo

This one! All metal.
    [​IMG]

15. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

After I posted the explanation above revealing Thrustmasters forever ongoing autocalibration I have been thinking.
    Does this autocalib issue just become an issue because a lot of/most? Thrustmaster users does use the conical brake mod.
    Because to the contrary of the standard Thrustmaster brake configuration then the conical one does spoil any end point of pedal travel.
    While there is instead created a rather wobbly elastic rubber "end point" more or less in the middle of the pedals normal travel distance.

ByTheWay: If Im right about this suspicion (Im probably wrong :whistle:) then this new wobbly endpoint could explain why a rather decent programmed autocalibration code goes completely havoc spoiling any consistency in brake managesment.:rolleyes:

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

No problems with my set either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

I had the T3PA before I got my present set.
    Before every session I had to press the brake as hard as I could to get beyond a certain threshold. If I didn't, the brakes worked for about 30% max. If I did, I could achieve 100% brake pressure in game and output was linear in relation to input.
    My set was new btw.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dady Cairo

I have installed the CONE MOD now and have no problems either with or without .
    Maybe it is more relevant on the plastic version of the pedals.
    Had two both quickly sold:D

19. DavitW

DavitW New Member

Just push the brake pedal down hard as you can just like the manual says. No big deal.

20. mansell

mansell Member

seems that "autocalibration" works fine in other games. maybe thats why i hear it today for the first time.
    use to have T3PA pedals and working perfect with ANY game. i change to TLCM (because of loadcell and not because i had any issue with the conical mod or with calibration) before i try AMS2, so i cant tell if the "autocalibration" or this game is responsible for your issue. given the fact that -as we both know- the pedals working fine, i suspect the latter...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021