1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Processor R5

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Rigo, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Rigo

Rigo New Member

Good morning friends!
    I now have a Ryzen 5 1600 AF and an RTX 2070
    I would like to do a slight upgrade to improve my quality in AMS2

What do you recommend?
    I'm going to an R5 3600? R5 5600x? Any R7 for being 8/16?

I have a Thrustmaster TMX, that is for sale to buy a T300...

Thank you all for the attention!!!

[​IMG]

2. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

First things First, I would build a home cockpit. I brought a car seat from a scrap yard for £30 and mounted it and my wheel plus pedals on a timber frame. Less than 100 pounds total :cool:
    Well worth it imho.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rigo

Rigo New Member

That's right!

I'm studying the purchase of aluminum material to make the base of the seat and steering wheel! for that I would like to improve the pc and the steering wheel!

Thanks!

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Oh wow! Make sure you share some pictures once you're done. That sounds like it's going to be very cool!
    I don't know that much about pc stuff so I'll leave that to others!
    Seriously impressed at using aluminium. Great idea.

5. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Are you struggling for frames at max settings currently? what res and refresh rate is that monitor?

Most sims only really care about single threaded performance. The extra threads are helpful if you're running other apps in the background crew chief, simhub etc or if you need them for other tasks in your day today.

A 3600x would probably give you a 20ish% increase in single threaded perf the 5600x would give you another 15-20% on-top of that. How much that translates into actual value added in terms of ams2 depends on how much you're struggling for fps currently.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rigo

Rigo New Member

My monitor has a refresh rate of 165hz.

Today I can play on some tracks at 144hz and in the rain just under 100...

The RTX 2070 is strong, the input processor ends up limiting it...

Do you think the 3600x is more interesting in my case?

7. Rigo

Rigo New Member

Something like this, is not expensive!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. chonk

Ok...that's a lot of frame huh! :D

If it were me I would try to clock the cpu just to see if could get it over the line that way. But I realise not everyone is up for overclocking and it depends on the board/cooling you have etc.

The 3600x would be a straight swap and should get you where you want to be, you can pick one up used pretty cheap, used cpu's from good sellers are a great option...but if your board has a bios update available that'll support gen 4 ryzen and you plan on buying new you may as well go with the 5600x now. I would say the extra performance is worth the difference in price and you'll save yourself an upgrade in a couple of years time. I mean if you're building yourself a rig, you're only going to be adding more and more demands on the cpu in the future.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Rigo

Rigo New Member

Wow, your answer was amazing!

I notice that the graphics card is limited by the R5 1600AF, it is held...I feel a bottleneck on IT!

Do you think the R5 3600 would solve this or is it silly to get it? Would it be better to get the 5600x?

The big thing is that the 3600x has the superior TDP...my motherboard is a B450 Steel Legend, and I don't have a watercooler for now!

10. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hey @Rigo just to be sure your CPU actually IS your bottleneck.
    I saw a pretty simple (and obvious) way of checking this out.
    While running your prefered racing game :D then use some kind of CPU/GPU monitoring to check out which has 100% useage.
    I say it because on my system its the GPU that has the 100% useage when Im running Raceroom (or formerly AMS2).
    My pretty ancient CPU that is even downvolted here in summer runs with max 76% useage.

ByTheWay: I use the MSI Afterburner to monitor it.

11. Rigo

Rigo New Member

Friend, I did this monitoring a few days by the nvidia program itself!

As I locked the fps at 144hz, the graphics card eventually reaches 100% and the processor has peaks of compromise...it ends up being between 20% and 88%...when it drops, my fps drops with it! from what I read, putting a processor with the highest frequency would improve this!

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. BrunoB

OK I understand what you are saying.
    On my system its a lot easier to distinguish where the bottleneck is.
    Because as soon I get into the game in full screen the GPU get to 100% and the CPU gets up to the mentioned rather stable about 75-76%.
    Not much fluctuations.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rigo

Rigo New Member

So, this drop to 20% is what is sad...
    I decided to buy a new processor and sell this one!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. chonk

Sorry about being so slow to reply, I have limited time at the moment. What did you decide to do in the end?

You may want to temper your expectations a little, AMS 2 although it has its performance issues in certain scenarios in general it runs really well. That said depending on your in game settings 144/165hz is still a lot of frames even for a 2070. At 1080p I could see your CPU being the limiting factor, but at 1440p I'm not so sure...

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

I recently got. R53600 and paired it with a bm550 mobo and my rtx2060 and it’s running great on mostly ultra settings, no cpu bottleneck.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rigo

Rigo New Member

don't worry about the lack of time, the important thing is to participate and leave your opinion!

My doubt now is between the R5 3600 and the R5 5600x... What is driving me to choose the 3600 is that it costs half the price of the 5600x, so I think it will be the chosen one!

As for changing the resolution, I can't, because my 31.5" AOC Agon is full hd, and I don't intend to change it now!

17. Rigo

Rigo New Member

I'm about to opt for the R5 3600 too!

The jump from 1600AF to 3600 is pretty impressive!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rigo

Rigo New Member

So, I ended up buying the R5 3600, on aliexpress!

As soon as the result arrives!!!

Next upgrade will be to change it to 5600x

Thanks for all the help!

• Like Like x 1
  19. BrunoB

I know its not relevant for you but my monthly IT bible the german PCGamesHardware is greeting Intels pricedumper the i5-11400F as the best bang for the bucks at the moment - in the same performance/price segment as your AMD 3600.:confused:

ByTheWay: Im not thinking of upgrading my ancient system at the moment - eventhough the Intel thing sounds slightly tempting:p

20. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Yeah there is always an alternative, but unless it’s a significant upgrade , there little to be gained from changing architecture. As you would have to factor in the cost of a new motherboard.
    Which is what I did by ditching old ddr3 intel board and old chip. Basically a whole new system in my old case, but at half the prices of a prebuilt system. worth every penny.