1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.0.0 & Racin´ USA Pt1 RELEASED - Now Updated to V1.2.1.4

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

a list of the most interesting events in the racing world.

meanwhile... in Simoni Office at Reiza..
    - Come on! Really?

Translation:
    it would be nice to have a list of the most interesting events in the racing world. in this way the game users could select the favorite. it is just a list with category, car, event description, date.

By the way.
    Sometimes when you read and write in three languages, something gets mixed up according to the time of day you write the message.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

?? I didnt understand a word of that, lol

3. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Let me try with translation:

"Gibberish, gibberish, gibberish"

Meanwhile... in Reiza's Renato's office..

"- Come on! Really? I haven't understood the word!"

Makes sense now ;)

In seriousness, I reckon it's about storing historic event dates on specific tracks, so instead of looking up the dates yourself - you'd pick it from the list.

It would be quite nice actually - select F1 gen 2 and Interlagos for example and you can see when this class raced at this track so you can pick the year and voila. Quite a lot of dates and classes to program though...

• Like Like x 2
  4. F1Aussie

I see, he used a lot less words than you :p:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. McClusky

McClusky New Member

Prior to the update I was having the best races at Bathurst with 100% AI Strength and 57% Aggression running the GT3 cars but after the update I had a hard time keeping up at 90-95% Strength and the McLaren AI cars were on rails, 3 or 4 of them would pull away from the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Bathurst received a major AI overhaul of its AIW, awareness to walls etc., because AI was reaaaally slow in the past and it results in AI now being super competitive on this track (finally).

I recommend reducing AI strength further, if you have problems keeping up, for now at least (maybe they're actually a bit too fast right now in base calibration which is perfectly believable, they're doing 1:59 times in GT3 at the top for me here at 110 strength which is already quite strong).

To set AI pace, there is actually also a rule of thumb:

You can calculate with 1 strength point being worth about 2+- tenths (usually on a 1:30 min. lap, so it might vary upwards for longer tracks). So 5 strenth points change AI pace by about 1+- a bit seconds. When you know their laptimes, you might set it according to that. :)

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  7. McClusky

McClusky New Member

Thanks for the advice^ (and I also need more seat time at this track :))

8. CrimsonEminence

Yeah me too...the Mountain needs a lot of courage even in a sim :D ...

• Like Like x 1
  9. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Out of interest, how is 1 strength point applied to the AI lap time. Is it a case of taking the base AI lap time and making them go uniformly faster/slower for the whole lap (including a tiny bit faster/slower on straights) or perhaps applied only to braking into corners, or accelerating out of corners, or perhaps only applied at certain corners?

Presumably the base AI lap times apply to the fastest AI and all other AI drivers will be slower than the base time, based on their attributes/personalities, rather than it being the median or average AI lap time?

10. McClusky

McClusky New Member

For sure and I've raced Bathurst in other/older sims and in my first laps in Reiza's AMS2 version I could really "feel" the walls and the sense of speed at this track, it was an eye opener as how it must really feel in real life, kudos to Reiza and their quality work!

• Like Like x 3
  11. CrimsonEminence

Good question. I don't know exactly, but here, AI is generally slower into and out of corners, when i reduce AI pace, with straightline being relatively consistent/influenced by corner exits.

Yeah, the fastest AI car as orientation works best. Or you want to be in the midfield, then a lower positioned car on the grid is, what you want to look for, of course. Grid pace will improve overall and lower positioned AI also lose an gain time according to settings, of course.

12. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

If you choose just one ai to race against, will it choose the ai with the best personality as such, or could you get a variation? Just trying to figure out the best way of checking my pace relative to difficulty. Obviously just using one or two ai makes for a less cluttered track, less overtaking, less pace reduction as a result etc..

13. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I always race against two or three AI. I get a random variation and have to keep exiting the race until I get the faster drivers, Rampanelli, Malyuev, Thompson, etc. I only use them as electric hares.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. CrimsonEminence

So the choice for AI drivers is random. The personalities themselves are assigned to their driver names (but also not for all car classes yet), but which driver appears is the random choice. This means for a fully reliable pace calibration to own skills, the max avaiable setting is the best.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. GearNazi

GearNazi Well-Known Member

Same experience here, other classes too... And in the rain, mind you?! I'd have to check laptimes, but if I didn't know any better, I'd almost say the AI have "dry" pace in the wet.
    This is what you get with the endless complaining about them being slowpokes in the wet, they get the Senna tuning, and nobody can keep up anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CrimsonEminence

They were really slow, tho. They had massive issues with even slowing in acceleration zones.

But the "too fast" issue is likely to be rectified!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

AI calibration is like a decreasing amplitude sine wave ;) Eventually, everything will get levelled-out, but as it is happening, performance gets too high and too low at points or under certain circumstances (track) or in dry versus wet versus drying line or in this series versus that series.

As you noted, the high section of Bathurst was a big issue called-out by many. The reality is that the trickiest sections of the trickiest tracks will be the most difficult to fine tune. Any corners or sections where real-life drivers get the sphincter effect or admit are super-challenging, will also be so in the sim. Areas with walls close by and tightening sections of tracks (esses or chicanes) will always be the trickiest to balance aggression (take advantage of passing opportunities) versus caution (don't ram walls or other cars carelessly) to produce realistic racing.

One thing to remember is that the AI will and should cause problems periodically, just as humans do. We don't want robots that never make mistakes or who are psychopathically brave. It's definitely a complex work-in-progress, but helping identify the performance (if it is good or bad) in these trickiest of sections/locations is likely the most useful form of feedback to more quickly flatten the sine wave.

Usually, Renato mentions if a particular AI tweak has occurred in the update notes. This particular one at Bathurst is going to be tweaked, so look forward to the reports of whether it is a step forward!

• Like Like x 3
  18. F1Aussie

Hi guys, have any of you noticed that when you first load up a track and leave the garage the car is setup differently to how it was last saved? This happens to me regularly for example the fuel load is different and the gearing. With the gearing it tends to be longer than how I have it set, an example of this was tonight in the Ginetta when I started practice at Laguna I was only hitting 5th down the main straight and I was pulling higher speeds in each gear. After a couple of laps I then went into the pits to view my setup, made no changes went out again and the fuel load now started with what was in the setup screen. The gears were also back to what I had set and was pulling 6th gear down the main straight. I reckon this was an issue in PC2 as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is really good advice. Ive been following this rule for a while now and it's been working very well for me. The only thing I would add is that I measure myself against the AI in the race not in P or Q. The AI I still faster in the race, what makes Q a bit irrelevant. I will try handicapping my car for quali to see if it helps. Say, full tank and just allow myself a warm up lap and a fast lap. Then I will move to the race. Hopefully by doing this I will not end up in p1 and then the first 6 to 7 cars will try to destroy me. I normally race in the F309, AI 96%,50%.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Yeah the race pace being faster than the qualifying pace is annoying :(

• Agree Agree x 7