1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's discuss our conversations quality

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by stealthradek, Jul 18, 2021.

1. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've noticed recently plenty of discussions on this forum that are abusive either to developers or other forum users.

This doesn't help with addressing the issue people are trying to raise, in fact it makes matters worse as the other party is less willing to join the conversation and once in, it focuses on responding to abuse rather than on the actual topic.
    So if you want to fix/resolve things - be informative, don't ignite the argument. If you want to be abusive - don't post anything at all as it doesn't add value. Simple as that.

Same goes for some "conversations" within established threads full of "facts" cherry picking just to prove your point without looking at overall bigger picture.

Even when something is obvious and you feel authorative to have your say - remember that not everyone understands the topic equally well, plus add some language barriers for non-native speakers which can lead to misinterpretation or misunderstanding overall.

It's ok to have different views but we're here to make AMS2 better, not to feel personally right, so let's try to keep discussions more civilised. Thank you.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. stealthradek

Perfect timing...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I already found my post with the RL example too confrontational and almost regret it. :confused:

I fully agree, that insults have no place on these boards and i really hope we can stay a bit more friendly to each other! :cool:

We shouldn't forget, that it's about videogames, what we are dealing with here!:whistle:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Great that you started this thread!

I will add that arguments can and should be followed by counter-arguments if there's anything "false" or detailed to point out. That is normal. So it's also not helpful if discourse is labelled as fanboys apologising. I know it can go way too far, but there's a fine line. We take a lot of things for granted that maybe shouldn't and we bring those as basis for discussion. Not everyone agrees on "basic things". But the arguments should always remain friendly. Sometimes it's easier said than done if someone (could be the original poster or someone in the middle of a thread) comes in way too hot with a hot potato.

By the way: forum software's censorship seems a bit leaky (C-word) :D. Maybe it was made by an Australian?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

It is a good example actually. OP describes somebody as an idiot and their argument as nonsense - provokes escalation tantrum. This is the internet in a nutshell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Unfortunately, there are plenty of examples of such behavior on display daily in politics as well, not that it should be considered as an excuse.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

And in corporation world bosses treat people as things, as a resource. In fact its quite hard nowadays to actually point to a moral compass in society..
    Sad sad times.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. stealthradek

But that doesn't mean the moral compass is completely gone and we all of a sudden don't know how to behave anymore online or offline.

We're all here grouped by our passion of simracing but too often still behaving like a bunch of brute savages with our narrow tribalised views. Let's act like passionate people and leave tribalism/fanboyism behind this forum's doors please.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

This. 1000%

10. mdecker79

mdecker79 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don’t post much but there are a couple of sayings that everyone should follow.

First is..
    If you have nothing nice to say then don’t say anything at all.

Second is more about respect.

Treat others how you want to be treated.

If you are wondering why people are hostile towards you when you post something. It just might be the way you say it. If you come off condescending in your post/question like you know it all… Well.. Your responses to said item/question/issue will be equally condescending because of how you stated it and or people won’t answer at all.

Life's way to short all. You're better off enjoying yourself in the time you have.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So your saying only Aussies use this word?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

When I first joined this forum it was full of positivity and friendliness but it has definitely gone downhill since then. Still good people here but a lot more hostility and lack of respect.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

It's a form of greeting here in Scotland.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Jason Pladoh

Jason Pladoh Member

Joypad/Sticks/Mouse Car Control should be Removed from All Racing Sim Titles.

There, I said it.

I Regret Nothing.

Come at me Bruv, I'll Mess you up.

Peace Out. N Word.

I Exclude Gaming Consoles from the Above Statement.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Certainly not. But I suspect that the forum software thought "oh I need to censor that very bad word before that synonym for friend".

16. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

It's a complex problem. You don't want to discuss things with everyone. Maybe you want but I don't. And that's the problem. Everybody is different and there are big communication gaps between people. It's not normal to have all people in one thread. We need some separation. Who cares what some casual thinks? Car has too much/few grip? He doesn't like trees? Nobody cares, he needs his crew in his thread.

It's like inviting people into your house. You don't want to invite everybody and there is a reason. People are different!

Discussion forums worked in early days of PC where every PC man was extremely smart. They can talk to each other easily. It's not the case anymore, it's very opposite today.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Sometimes you encounter a toxic personality and cant hold your fingers from stretched and going hard on keyboard. But the issue is you or no any other action online will make that person tidy himself.

18. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Awesome...I love it. We use the middle finger salute as a greeting here is Australia (told my kids it's how I tell my mates I love them) and the C word CAN be used as a term of endearment or greeting in the right context but also as the harshest of insults.

As for the forum getting more toxic, I guess it's a good thing, it means the sim is more popular and we are getting the RD and AC forum folk here now also. I've noticed the change over the years and generally just try to meme or joke my way through it....it can get taken the wrong way and sometimes I do go a little too far but never really trying to attack someone....."never really";)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. stealthradek

I'm going to leave this here :whistle:

For educational purposes only to understand Scottish culture better.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

The previous post being too literate...doesn't cunt...:p

• Funny Funny x 2