1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I'm lucky enough to afford/get a 3080Ti, it serves my needs and gets me the performance I want for the budget I have. It may not be for your wallet and that's fine, to each their own. But I would never presume something about someone based on their purchasing decisions. If someone can afford something they want, more power to them.

Stutters aren't just optimization related, there are plenty of things the can cause stutters. Can optimization help? Sure, but this isn't a perfect world where all the games get fully optimized. Or else everything would be running on mesh shaders with DLSS/FSR. When Dev's haven't had time optimize their code, you need brute force and that's what a 3080Ti/3090 gets you.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mike Evans

Mike Evans Member

Anyone noticed an FPS drop in VR in the latest release?

3. Marnus Zwarts

Marnus Zwarts Boost Creep AMS2 Club Member

To anyone with an Oculus device:

The one single setting that makes a HUGE difference is the FOV setting in the Oculus Debug Tool. Change your Horizontal FOV to 0.75 and your vertical to 0.6. That simulates a helmet view, but more than that, it improves the whole experience exponentially. Set your bitrate to 300 or so, disable ASW, and run the Oculus Slider up to 1.3 @ 80Hz (you could go 72Hz and up the slider a bit).

Most game settings on MED, except environmental map, car and road high. While Shadows and particles are off and reflections low.
    This way I get a CONSTANT 80fps with beautiful crisp graphics, come rain or shine, day or night with a full grid of cars.
    I tested extensively and spent 4 hrs last night with every single setting you can imagine in just about every combination and I settled on the above.

Good luck!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

I don't know how people can drive without shadows. It makes the car inside look like a toy car. Completely ruins the immersion for me. What MSAA are you using? That has a very high impact on performance.

5. Marnus Zwarts

Yes I feel you. I have MSAA on med since low gets jaggy and shimmery.

After some more testing I now have the following:
    Hor FOV at 0.7 and VER at 0.5. Hor 0.7 seems to be the golden midway, since it's barely visible that you're missing out on peripheral objects, it barely clips the edge of your peripheral vision.

This way I can have shadows on low/med, reflections med, particles and density at low, texture high, environmental med, car med, track med.

This runs smooth on 80Hz 99% of the time, night or day, rain or sunshine.

6. Kazzig

Kazzig New Member

I have a question:

I am running a Oculus Quest 2 with AMS2.
    Vega 64, Ryzen 3800X, 32 GB RAM 3600.
    I tweaked the settings a bit in the Oculus App:
    90 Hz, Supersampling 1.3, connected via Oculus Link.

What my Problem is, that the upper part of my screen is a bit jittery. That is not that much, but really annoying.
    The question is, is that a problem with my Oculus and / or the AMD card? Or is it just my false settings somewhere. I can play as it is, but I don't think that it's normal.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

I was trying to get AMS2 to launch straight into VR (without having to open Steam, press "Run" and select "Run in Oculus VR mode"). I did some Googling and from that tried making a shortcut and putting "/othervr" on the end of the shortcut's URL, but it still starts in monitor mode. Someone else suggested adding the launch option -forcevr, which I have yet to try, but I suspect that'll use Steam VR rather than Oculus. So, does anyone know the launch option for Oculus VR mode?

8. Xblurone

Xblurone Member AMS2 Club Member

On my 2080ti I get the same performance with 20-30% headroom at 0.7;0.6. I set MSAA to low and with transparent multisampling in Nvidia control panel the jaggies are completely gone. I just wish for a bit more sharpness. I have maxed out my resolution settings on oculus (1.5 Max)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Wolf WolfZ AMS2 Club Member

what setting do you have multisampling on?

10. patrick le

patrick le New Member AMS2 Club Member

Update: I'm completely blown away and super happy with my VR setup now. I'm able to run VR SS @ 100% with pretty much everything on Ultra setting. I also made this FSR tweak below - not sure if that made a difference or not but I don't see a need to tweak anything further on my end. My settings don't do so well in rain in most tracks (did fine enough @ Laguna Seca) but I find 10am sun peaking through to be my favorite weather/time setup.

To anyone with a RTX 30xx, HP Reverb G2, and looking to run AMS2 - the settings below is a must!!

I also purchased a Pimax 8K X to test alongside the HP Reverb G2. I'll be getting rid of the Pimax 8K x and keeping the HP Reverb G2 for sure.

fholger/openvr_fsr

Thank you so much @Mike Evans! I applied your recommended setup on my rtx 3080 and am finally able to set ingame settings to Ultra. I never thought about enabling Motion Smoothing before since I heard it halves your fps which it did for me at 45fps but the overall quality is much better than my past settings. This is my new favorite setting by far.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Did you already add sharpness with the ini tweak? Search for it on this forum if you don't know what I am talking about, it significantly increases the sharpness, you can even lower SS with it enabled.

12. Marnus Zwarts

Great idea, I'll def try lowering MSAA to low and use Nvidia transparent ms since the MSAA is a fps killer!

13. Marnus Zwarts

Sorry mate, never heard of that before. Other games acting up as well?

14. vvvnew

vvvnew New Member

You're claiming a 10-15% improvement in performance is the difference between playable and unplayable. That's just not possible. (2080ti > 3080 is a different story though, more like 50-75% improvement) And although i can afford a RTX 3080ti, i don't think it will fix the issues with the stutters i have in this game.

For now ill just stick to playing in clear weather till the devs do something. Didnt mean to come across as rude before but i still say 3080ti is a nice cash grab for Nvidia. Corporations are greedy though, this isn't news. So iam not surprised they were opportunistic to price the card higher than they were original planning to (it was supposed to be 1000 USD). When everyone else is scalping, i guess they wanted in on the action too.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  15. Xblurone

2x

• Like Like x 1
  16. Xblurone

Set it to 2.90000 sharpening strength

17. DaWorstPlaya

For me it is. Again VR experience is very subjective and varies from person to person. Personally I would go so far as to say even a 5% increase performance can radically change the VR experience for me depending on the game. 5% can mean the different between 90fps constant or occasional drop down to 80fps, which I can easily notice.

The difference is I have personal experience with the upgrade from a 3080 to a 3080Ti and all you have is conjecture at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

…and an extra £500 ;)

(All in jest, do what you want, let’s be honest we’ve all probably spent way more money than we should’ve on this silly hobby of ours)

19. DaWorstPlaya

Haha! I was only out $300 after trade-in on the 3080. ;)
    Yea, it's still nothing compared to what we pay to do it IRL.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Posting this here as well since I have a feeling it's a VR specific issue:

I am having the exact same issue originally posted here with frame rates varying drastically without ANY settings being changed whatsoever between sessions. I'm using SteamVR, HP Reverb G2, and RTX 3080. Using Time Trial mode as my test, I booted up Hockenheimring and the Porsche GTE. Although I can get a session with a solid 90 FPS no matter how many laps in a row I run during the session, if I exit the session and then restart it without changing ANYTHING, I randomly can see performance drop down to 60-65 FPS with lots of stuttering.

Does anyone know if there is a work-around or fix for this? I've tried to restart the game, and even my PC, multiple times in order to get back to the 90 FPS performance state whenever the lower performance is encountered, but it seems so random between the two. It's totally killing my AMS2 experience, and makes it unplayable. One time, I rebooted like a half a dozen times before I was able to get back to the 90 FPS state.