1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Badspacewizard

Badspacewizard New Member

Hi all. New member here. i am downloading the game today. going for VR play mostly using a G290 wheel. Any hints or advice welcome.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Hi, welcome,
    I highly recommend use vr sharpening in the related xml. Search through the older posts in relative threads in forum. I use 0.4, 0.120, 1.0 for sharpening values pretty happy. And msaa is high. You should change in consideration with your specs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Hello there :)
    Best advice is to keep in mind that the game is an ongoing development effort which means that not everything will work well, things will change and constructive feedback is always welcome.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Welcome.
    Hope you have lots of fun, finding your favorites.:). Wet/Dry /Storm/ real weather. lots of choices, Still ongoing changes for the long term betterment of the title.
    Seconded the above post.
    Enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  5. Badspacewizard

I’m not PC savy, how is this done?

6. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Hi and welcome. Fellow G920 and VR user here. You're going to enjoy It! Ref the ini file, standby 1 and I'll pop up to my pc and fire off some notes to you.

7. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Ok, here goes. Navigate to "Documents/Automobilista 2" then open up graphicsconfigoculusdx11 using wordpad++ (free download if you havent got it already. Line 62 towards the bottom labelled "Sharpening Strength" is the one you want to alter. If you go too high you may get shimmering. Mine is currently on 1.8 which is fine for me, but you'll have to adjust for taste. Dont go searching for the land of milk and honey- if its good enough its good enough. You wont notice the detail and if you do youre not going fast enough..
    I think thats mostly correct. Someone will correct me if Ive got it wrong..

From the original post..
    "
    The sharpening feature is controlled by three values in your graphics config XML file (itself found in your Project CARS 2 documents folder, separate files for VR and non-VR, e.g. graphicsconfigoculusdx11.xml and graphicsconfigdx11.xml):

Code:
    <prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="0.000000" />
    <prop name="SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.045000" />
    <prop name="OffsetBias" offsetbias="1.000000" />
    ... to create these values in the file the first time, either delete your current file and run the game (after you've installed the 4.0.0.3 patch of course), or, if you want to maintain your current settings, run the game and go in and out of the "Performance" graphics menu.

The values are used as follows (apologies for the somewhat technical explanations - the only value most people will want to change probably is the first one, strength):

• Strength (0.0->3.0, default 0.0) - the strength of the sharpening, zero being off. I find a subtle amount like 0.6 to be a good starting point. Too high a value will cause shimmering effects and a generally unnatural look to the image. Note that having sharpening on at all will have a small performance cost, but the size of that hit doesn't vary with the amount of sharpening.
    • Clamp (0.0->1.0, default 0.045) - limits the amount of sharpening at the local pixel level (if you have a large continuity difference between the original pixel and blurred pixel it limits the amount of offset applied).
    • Offset (0.0->6.0, default 1.0) - the offset from the current pixel for the sampling pattern (so if it's 1 it will sample neighbouring pixels, any less and it will bias towards the central pixel, any more and it will start sampling pixels outside the normal kernel)."

8. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

I've never understood why PCars2 and now AMS2 didn't have the vr sharpening on by default. Would make so much sense for new users. I guess in the case of PCars2 it was mostly that the feature was added months after release, but in the case of AMS2 it seems more like an oversight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Badspacewizard

Thanks for this,I’ll give it a go. Is there any other settings I should do in game or in steam VR, I am a proper noob with pc. Just would like to get the best experience possible and spent a small fortune on a pc to run vr.

10. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

I'm sure you'll find it absolutely worth the money you put in. As regards your other question, no not really. One of the major advantages of AMS2 is its UI is very good in vr and it's pretty much ready to go. One thing I would suggest is popping in to settings and changing the vr menu selection option to manual. It's in the vr tab i think. Also when you start do it from your games list in steam. That way the option to open it in vr appears. I use the non steam vr option that you'll see there (depending on your hardware) as I find it better for performance. That's it in a nutshell. Everything else is a bonus.

11. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Oh one more thing. Set the keybind for recentre vr view to something on your wheel. I use RSB.

12. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Once you're happy Google crewchief. That will complete your journey to the dark side..

FYI- When you first start you may experience some motion sickness. You'll find you quickly get used to the movement and it will subside, but you'll want to begin with short sessions if you do experience it.

Edit2- assuming that you are starting from the absolute beginning, dont forget to calibrate your wheel and pedals, and to go through and check the assignments. Many is the time Ive deleted my settings for whatever reason, then gone to leave the garage and the throttle wasnt set, or I couldnt change gear etc. Very frustrating and an own goal that is easily avoided by a quick check first.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021