1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make AMS2 use Real Name

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Nicolay Giraldo, Jul 17, 2021.

1. Nicolay Giraldo

Nicolay Giraldo New Member

Hello all. Currently, AMS2 uses Steam profile name for the in-race standings. As some of you know, many leagues require the use of the real name.

I want to argue this should be configurable.

AMS2 currently uses the green one, while it should use the red one:

realname.jpg

Here you can see, the difference between profile name, and real name in Steam:

realnameedit.jpg

This change will allow drivers to not have their real name as the profile name. Right now, if we participate in a league, our real name is used and seen all over Steam.

This proposal is to increase privacy, not diminish it.

Best regards,
    Nicolay

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Is this urgent?
    I mean as long as there is no mandatory relation/sync between the goofy names people use on LBs and in MP races and bytheway in this forum - then I cant really see what difference this will do.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. Dan44AFCB

Dan44AFCB Member AMS2 Club Member

I hate that it uses my profile nickname, it breaks immersion. I really hope for a customisable profile name in-game. Every other sim and game can manage it, well, apart from the game that cannot be mentioned in this forum that begins with P.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

If you don't have any problem with corporations and governments being able to track you even more easily, that's fine with me. But this should definitely not be mandatory.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Help!!! I am in jail since yesterday. I used my real-real name. and now I am tracked. I played too much AMS 2 + Football Manager and gaming is a crime here!! Please!!! What was I thinking???? Using my real name. Ohh my....

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

You've deserved it. Even jail is prize for you, you should be executed by now :)

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. Nicolay Giraldo

Nicolay Giraldo New Member

So many leagues require the use of the real name.

This change allows drivers to not have their real name as the profile name. Right now it is the same, so our real name is used all over Steam.

So, this is to increase privacy, not diminish it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

In fact in ACC it seems more “professional” but I doubt how many of the community uses real name(if it really matters) but whatever the name is I would prefer to see an human name instead nicks like “MoBy****InMyPants”.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. BrunoB

Ohh.
    Did somebody call my name? :p

10. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

You could always change your steam nickname to be your real name but I assume you don't want to do that.

I have no objections to this being a choice, but I personally don't want to be forced to use my real name as others have said.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Wolf WolfZ AMS2 Club Member

(Just generalising here, not pointing the finger at anyone.) Why should anyone worry about a name within reason? Freedom of choice seems fair, what are we becoming , a dictatorship? We see trolls with nick names and just as many trolls using supposedly real names, so claiming real names reduces idiots is an unproven myth and poor excuse for more control of your information. Some people prefer to keep their private life and identity private, possibly the older Gen, most younger gen have full trust in social media and governments and like to put their whole life on board, so it should be a personal choice , not decided by minorities. imho :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think the issue is that it's either Steam name or nothing. An option to change to whatever (whether it's your real name, nick or something else) would be a welcomed addition to satisfy league usage without compromising your privacy in other titles. You don't want to show your other games competitors your real name, especially in FPS games where you could end up with even more personalised abuse towards your mother ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

yeah, that really is the thing, not having an alternative option. I can totally understand people not feeling comfortable using their real names on their steam profile. It's something I would rather not do. Hopefully we'll get more fleshed out profile options in the future.

I wonder if as an interim solution dedicated servers could be set up to store and alias steam nicks to real names, it would be helpful for leagues at least. Just thinking out loud though, no idea if this is feasible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. kmikiwi

kmikiwi Member

All you say it is not important while you are just joining public servers to race... but when you manage a comunity or league with championship format, you don't want to see 100 drivers on charts results names or nicknames like “MoBy****InMyPants”. like @ToMythTo says.... maybe use human names if you don't want to use real name, it is not like you are too important to do no want to anyone knows your real name... while you are trying to put a nickname like “MoBy****InMyPants” into a serious results table to be publish on web with points and categories, maybe you can understand how important are the drivers name.... so! yes! it will be nice an option to drivers can edit their name and nationality to the online and multiplayers records.... so thanks reiza if you can check the posibilities about this option.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. xnorb

xnorb Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ya, it absolutely adds a lot to the immersion if you can use a real name.
    Doesn't have to be your real name, but "Max Verstoppen" is way better than "Uberkillah1337".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Enagee

Enagee jim joneZ AMS2 Club Member

Unless you're new there's a long list of wants!

Am In a queue for MP/Rating... ETA end of the year.

You best get inline with your request.
    It's all about priorities...it's not like Reiza are sitting down scratching their asses!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. BrunoB

Is Mox Versnappen also legal?
    I mean at least its not so sexual oriented as the MoBy thing :p

18. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I do agree with the sentiment that real names are useful within ams2, as it useful for some leagues and sim racing system to have real names, although it is unhelpful to change steam name due to privacy and security concerns.

AC’s content manager has a useful solution where you can select whether you want your steam name or your real name (which you type into a box to show) and leagues can select an option for real names to show.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1