1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a more important racing mantra than "slow in, fast out?"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Magnus, Mar 16, 2021.

1. cpcdem

cpcdem Active Member AMS2 Club Member

No coasting!

2. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

As the late, great Terry Wogan said on his not quite record-breaking hot-lap of the Top Gear track "slow and steady wins the race".

3. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

"To drive an F1 (
    or C9) car you have to be a little mad". "

"On the morning of a race there's a mix of excitement and fear. If it's a wet track, then it's worse as you're not in control most of the time, which is the thing all drivers fear the most."

Jenson Button

. "Easy on the gas, don't touch the grass"
    . M V6

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  4. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Here's a few from my local dirt tracks.

-"You can't hold a trophy when you dead."
    -"Don't punch a man with a helmet on you dumba**."
    -"Godd***** Bobby, the wheels go on the bottom of the car."

I also got a hilarious story. My local dirt track holds a drivers championship for all classes. Late models, modified, sprint cars, you name it. Well the points are tied to the number and class, not Necessarily the car.

So one night, the track champion in the modified division blows up his motor during hot laps. (Basically heat qualifying) Has he didn't complete a lap, he wouldn't get to race unless "A car with the number 23 completes a hot lap before 8:00pm." Well they make every effort to do the motor swap in time, but it looks like they aren't going to make up. So what does he do? Tapes the numbers 23 on the part's van and does a lap with that! The track organizer is pissed, and comes up with a plan. Right then and there he created a new rule, whatever car qualifies had to start the race.

So heat 3 rolls around. There's 9 modifieds and one Chevy ASTRO van rolling around for the pace laps. He does one lap, (under yellow), parks the van in the infield, runs over to his car, gets in, and rejoins the field as they take the green effectively 1 lap down. After a few cautions, and getting a lucky dog pass, he eventually fights up to 3rd and gets into the feature event. He finished 5th of 20 cars in the feature with (as far as the track record books are concerned) a Chevy ASTRO van.

God I love dirt track racing!

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. its_unlimited

its_unlimited New Member

I'm also running the GTE right now, and learning trail braking with the slightest amount of slide to get you through mid corner is good. Also, coasting is okay mid corner especially on late apex. Some guys I watch give like 25% gas at first and then wheel straight, 100%. That 25% plants the rear.

6. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

There is another one:
    Coasting always costs time, avoid it.

When you have a free moment to coast and your tires are still feeling nice, you probably could use it better by braking/trailing off brakes later and gaining time and front authority due to it.

A late apex situation additionally might be actually better to be attacked by preparing it with a late straightline braking that carries you to the outside, "v-shape-ing" it with trail braking, if the track is wide right before the apex (so actually giving up a tiny bit of speed in favour of fast turn-in) and eventually early acceleration afterwards.
    You will be constantly on the pedals and not losing cars capacities this way. And a good straightline boost will be also a reward that brings you the slight sacrifice of time back, because you have combined the trailbraking to move the car in a mostly straight position faster and so provided a quicker period of free acceleration.

7. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

8. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

And applied to computers: "if in doubt, reboot".

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Its not a quote but if youre starting out in sim racing I really really suggest you watch this video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rednose58

Rednose58 New Member

Brake in a straight line... (until you start trail-braking)
    Minimize brake and gas pedal overlap
    Use every inch of available track.... and then some

11. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

"The speed was ok but the corner was too tight.."

And my favourite from Kimi Raikonnen in response to a daft interview question..
    The helmet has a very special meaning to many drivers. How is it important to you?”
    It protects my head.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

Smart guy :D

13. xnorb

xnorb Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Use all the track, hit your apexes, keep it on the grey stuff.
    I lose most of my time missing apxes :)

14. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

"slow in, fast out?"

What is this part of the title about?.....

15. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

You're a poet.
    And you don't know it.

16. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Haha, I will bite, you are right,

17. leggy2fast

leggy2fast Artist and amateur racer!

Since we're rarely alone on the track...

"NEVER hit your teammate"

18. Iuri

Iuri New Member

If I could ad a thought to this overall concepts it could be "keep it straight as much as possible", I mean, try to make the car go on straight lines everypwhere on the track.

By getting the feel for how much a car can rotate under throttle and brake application, we can work with that to make the rotate earlier pointing to the next straightline.

We could split this idea into 2 thoughts:
    - when entering a corner we should always be trying make the car rotate as quick as possible, so we can manage to get back on throtle earlier;
    - if we master how much rotation the car can make during brake (corner entering) and throtle (corner exit) we could manage to have the car pointed earlier and to apply throtle earlier on the corner, using the acceleration as a rotating tool.

It works for all types of cars. Every car has its behavior on braking and accelerating so it will be different on each, with more or less room for errors

19. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Racing is not about fastest speeds, but about shortest time to complete a lap/race :)

With this in mind it's easier to ease off when it doesn't carry a time benefit.

20. Horia M

Horia M Reephur

Never coast.

Ideally you should always be either accelerating, or braking - never coasting. Coasting only ever makes you slower.

By aiming to coast as little as possible, it will not only help you find that optimal braking point, but it will also teach car rotation using brakes/throttle, as well as helping with learning trail braking.