1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed Setup Multiplayer - changing tyre pressure under pit stop strategy?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Raphael Skarnulis, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Raphael Skarnulis

Raphael Skarnulis New Member

I think this can be labeled as a "bug", but there's a "little trick" that drivers can change the tyre pressure under Pit Stop Strategy and running with "a tweaked setup" on a session that must be the same setup for everyone!

I believe that with a small fix, Reiza could disable all options under the pit stop strategy > tyres > pressure.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

The true annoyance hereby is to use fixed setups, since we all know by now that default setups are plain.. BAD!.

3. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    Although I generally dislike stock setups for multi plyr because of the quality, lately some have been much improved.
    Sc 2021... Ultima race...copa Montana are all pretty good now to name a few.
    Thx for the tip op....but how would one use this in a mp race? I can see it used in qual tho.

4. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Respectfully, I could not disagree more with that sentiment (for public, short races), one setting advantages nobody, the other clearly advantages the 'serious' sim racer, the player that arguably should be more capable of driving well with a less than optimal, default setup.

Using fixed setups allows any player to take part in MP lobbies and compete on equal grounds, allowing setups gives an advantage to people who might spend a week making a setup for one car and track. 15 mins of Q is not enough time to make and test a competitive setup if you don't have one already made and some people join later than others.

I'm not opposed to setups and don't question their importance and the skill required to make them or that they are a key part of serious racing, but if you expect everyone online to be equally skilled or have the time to make track specific setups for all of the cars, they wont be online playing, they will be offline making setups, or worse, not playing at all.

You can compete with setups in the TTs or in any of the awesome leagues run by people who might actually challenge you in those more serious formats, instead of forcing the guy who just bought his first wheel (or maybe even controller) to accept your extra edge in setup 'cause he should just get good and play offline until he has it all dialed in.

If that is the attitude we take then we shouldn't be surprised when the MP gets called 'dead'. I know people who would say 'I wouldn't want to race with them anyway', well fine, but they might become serious racers one day as they get better, if we want our community to grow, there has to be a place where they can start.

The sim community is predominantly tailored to suit serious racers and leagues, games like PC2 and AMS2 are the minority in having the crossover, if you are serious, that is totally and utterly catered for in the sim world, the 'gateway' sim, not so much.

Sorry for this HUGE post to your tiny little comment, but I feel strongly that to encourage the growth of the online community, it is simply the most inclusive way. I certainly am not suggesting there should be no open setup lobbies, just that for short, casual races that anyone can join, it makes more sense to be inclusive and focus on the driving skill.

Each to their own, sorry again for the rant =P.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ramsay

ramsay Active Member

Actually running default setups for the most part is rather pointless imho. For one, you can adjust the roll-bars and brake bias on a lot of of the cars making the car handle completely differently and circumventing the default setup anyway and in effect creating a custom setup. You can even do this in TT and it will register as default IIRC.

Secondly most of the default setups are not newcomer friendly. Take the F3 309 default which is too unstable and the backend breaks away when you try to push the car when it should be planted and has the wrong balance of front to rear DF for me.

The default setups probably put off as much people as they encourage as they are unnecessarily on a knife edge and put a lot of newbies off. Also, even in a 6 lap race with damage off, i guarantee half (if not a third or even a quarter) will finish the race and the rest will have quit default or custom irrespective. The irony is they can spend over a half an hour f'ing about practicing and qualifying then go forth and multiply after a lap or so.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with your points, you made them well and I laughed at the truth of people leaving default or no.

I have raced with you on a number of occasions and can certainly say that the poor handling of some of the default cars is a smaller thing to overcome for me than the quality of setup you are capable of making. In a non default race, I wouldn't be able to make a setup to match yours, at least when we have raced together I can sometimes put a lap in to come close if I drive well, despite the flaws of the default setups.

You and I in some cars could and have had good races in default, in setup, I simply would not be able to make one to match yours in 20min Q, it takes me hours to do (because I suck =P).

I understand your points but I still think a setup made well by yourself would be untouchable to someone who hasn't made many setups before and doesn't understand it well, they might as well be in a GT4 to your GT3 when considering the difference even gear ratio alone can make on a track like Imola.

I hope that you've had fun the times you've been in my lobby and didn't see it as a waste of time because we're not as fast, I keep it default to narrow the difference between the crazy good drivers and setuppers in this game and the casual racers, just so that we can hope the race will be closer.

As you pointed out, it is a little irrelevant if only two people from the 14 who started cross the finish line and the first corner is a pile up.

A friend and I were speaking about this last night and after seeing your reply I asked if he would like a system where setups are on but also 'transparent' meaning anyone can click the spanner next to your name and use your setup.

He doesn't think so, he likes knowing everyone has the same pace in the car. I personally wouldn't mind an extra setting 'setups - off, on and open'

The downside would be people simply copying the setup of P1 and using it without realising how it might feel different, but in theory it might help newbies start making setups if they look at what changes.

What do you think? Is there an inbetween or is it just a chasm that can't be bridged?

7. ramsay

ramsay Active Member

Sorry for the late reply. I think people put too much emphasis on setups holding them back. You only have to look at the TT world records to see that Nemesis has set most of them on default setups which shows its his natural ability to drive a car irrespective of the setup.

The only reason i can go quicker with a custom setup compared to default is having confidence in the car and able to push it and recover when you go over the limit. That is the issue i have with a lot of the default setups (not all) as they seem to randomly snap like the tyre model of a popular rental race sim.

Ultimately i only drive cars for the fun of it and the wilder or extreme the car, track and conditions the better as i'm never going to drive a real race car and for the life of me I cannot understand the fascination with the GT3(E) class in sims when you could be driving a 1200bhp monster without electronic aids or sliding a Caterham 620R/Vintage in wet/dry conditions and avoiding the dynamic puddles. It is an absolute travesty that 99% of public servers do not use random or wet/dry races when AMS2 has one of the best weather/track/transitional systems in sim racing.

If you want a level playing field forget default setups set a race with dry/wet conditions or random conditions as this is a true leveller. Then again, i bet you'll curse me as you sit in an empty server whilst they all jump on the GT3 server at midday with clear conditions.

P.s. your assuming i know what i'm doing with setups which is far from the truth i just fiddle around to make it feel better to me without telemetry. Steelcast27 is the real setup Guru and has some great videos, advice and setups.

• Like Like x 1