1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happened to grip?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by JoKeR, Jul 27, 2021.

1. JoKeR

JoKeR Member

EDIT: *** SOLVED *** it was a misconfigured ffb file.

Haven't played for few weeks, and during this time AMS2 have gone under one or two updates.
    Today I tried a few laps and to my surprise all cars are dancing on the tarmac like they were using extremely worn tires, all this while AI happily go away like a train on rails.

I used to beat AI on 100 easily on some tracks, but now I'm not able to keep with them even at 95 or less. I'm barely able to complete a lap without "buying a farm", even racing alone (practice), there's simply no grip on tires. It's more like old street tires, not racing ones. I have deleted my AMS2 folder and recreated the profile, setups are default and tires are at ideal temperature while testing.

Has physics changed *so much* in latest updates? Anyone else experienced this?
    Thanks

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Which car class, weather and track was it? Would be pretty unbelievable, if it is indeed "all cars". There wouid be definetly something wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JoKeR

JoKeR Member

Until now tested on Bathurst and Nord, using stock 2020, sprint, opalas, f3, fuscas, ginetta super, BMW M1. All of them have the same behavior, way less grip than before and unable to keep with AI (I don't even try to pass, just keep them close), especially on curves. Yes, it sounds weird (that's why I'm asking if the updates changed something on grip levels across all cars or what). To check my hardware, played RF2 and AC and they are all the same (so no problems like bad pots on pedals or wrong wheel ffb signals).

• Like Like x 1
  4. CrimsonEminence

Pretty weird indeed. Especially because SC2020 has actually increased grip by a LOT right now.

Bathurst is a track with very high track temps in default btw.
    IRL it sometimes gets so hot, that the rubber, that is on the track, basically begins to melt again and makes the track greasy, instead of improving grip. A date in south hemisphere winter/spring might help out here (no worries, the track is mostly evergreen due to its special vegetation, so it will still look great...well not saying that winter foliage with season sensitive trees would look bad :D)

Try other tracks for a test, too.

The recent physics updates actually increased grip for quite some cars, and not decreased it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. CrimsonEminence

And btw. also try a higher Livetrack preset. In default, the track starts relatively green. I don't think, that it is the culprit tho...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Perhaps try the same tracks/cars on heavy rubbered state in all sessions to confirm such a loss of grip.
    Current testing this end is In thunderstorm all sessions with gt1 vs gte vs ultima race and group A.
    all with TC /abs off and grip is (so far exceptional) for wet on wet boots
    Default/green/progressive to heavy is a big difference (this end)
    New online players and regulars have not notice a grip loss in my sessions so far and some are new to wet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JoKeR

JoKeR Member

Hi guys, thanks for answering my question about less grip in the game, which turns out not to be the case (in fact, it should be just the opposite - more grip, according to the patch notes). o_O
    Game files are validated, don't know what to do - the same conditions (track/car/time of day/etc) that I used to practice so many times are radically different now, a whole "new game" (for the worst!). If only I could get back to early version...
    Maybe wait for the next patch.
    Thanks again.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. CrimsonEminence

If you can record a lap of an influenced combination as a video, i would happy to see it. Might be helpful to see what's going on there.^^

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You're not gonna get an update to fix a phantom problem only are seeing. Are you sure it's not a FFB issue? Maybe some kind of stealth firmware update was pushed out?

If nothing else helps, perhaps a complete reinstall is necessary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

It would be easier for you if you had some records on TT LBs.
    Because then you wasnt fully dependent of what you "feel" or how you compare with the AI bots.
    Because it sounds like your rather subjective grip observations could also be just some placebo biased "observations".

ByTheWay: It has been proven again and again that placebo does actually work.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ozcanuck

ozcanuck Active Member

Check your tyres in setup...I've had the Super V8's start off with wets on a dry day. Didn't work very well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. JoKeR

JoKeR Member

Solved!! It wasn't a "stealth firmware", but sort of. :D I remembered that before going away from my pc for several weeks, I copied a new version of ffb file to my AMS2 folder in order to test it that same day but I ended up travelling before doing so. I completely forgot about that after getting back and I was copying the same file over the new AMS2 folder to "restore my ffb" after recreating the Automobilista2 folder into My Documents, so obviously my "resets" were all bugged as well. :oops:
    After removing the file and putting back my previous version, voilá, "grip" is back. I suspect now that I was kind of inducing the slides due to ffb misinformation, or whatever. Never imagined that a simple ffb file could change things this way.
    Yes, the "new" game is different nevertheless, there are changes mainly on the way AI navigates and fights thru sections - it's not so easy to beat them in 100% as it was before, but this is good.
    Thanks again for all your inputs, they kept me thinking about what could be happening, and in the end it's all ok again.
    Cheers.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Ffb is, by the very nature of sim racing, also part of the setup imho. By that I mean if you get it wrong and its providing erroneous or superfluous detail, it'll probably be costing you both laptime and capacity.
    Glad you got it sorted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Glad you have it sorted.
    It just reiterates good file management. Many still experience after a break, (inc tubers who try it once every few months) differences in the game. Strange behaviour, poor driving feeling, bouncy, lack of grip, etc etc
    Enjoy

• Like Like x 2
  15. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It has been clear to me for a while that complaints about physics, especially in the direction of "lack of grip", are often tied to poorly configured FFB, possibly because of flawed manufacturer recommendations, remnant configuration files etc. People who complain about "lack of grip" should be guided to fix their FFB rather than be given setup tips that both serve to confuse and infuriate some people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Yes, sometimes the separation between physics and ffb can be over-stated. While they may be separate systems on one level, they also work in combination, where communication between the virtual car and the player are concerned.

• Agree Agree x 1