1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.2.2.0 RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

My preferred setting is zero. I adjusted it to zero (default is 7). I don't know what the game did with that, but it's definitely not zero.
    The deadzone has nothing to do with steering lock, or with car setup.

Well, if there's nothing weird going on, steering sensitivity does what you say it does. Controller damping slows down direction changes, so you can't turn the wheel unrealistically quickly from left to right. These things can have an influence on the perceived deadzone, but they shouldn't change the actual deadzone.

2. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

I use steering sensitivity = 50, speed sensitivity = 0, controller damping = 0, custom steering lock. I can drive the cars just fine, controller in AMS2 feels more responsive than PCars2 but I still feel like there's some sort of hidden aid/filter that slows down my inputs.
    That's odd. With my Xbox 360 wired controller there's no deadzone at all when I set it to zero. I don't have a PS4 controller to test it but you might be able to fix that through Steam input/big picture.
    I suggest you post that in bug reports, there should not be any deadzones if your deadzone setting is zero.

3. Richirichi

Richirichi Member

GT3 was only meant as an example. My point is, we should focus on expanding what we already have. Btw, each to their own; I’ve got nothing against ‘quircky 70s/80s cars’. If there is one additional class from this era, I would like to see, it would be Group 5.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Biucci

Biucci New Member AMS2 Club Member

This is something we can confirm for sure.
    On a DRS Integrale (pseudo "professional" wheel, abandoned product but indeed still a nice toy) the actual device is configured/interfaced via vJoy emulation, so some software like PC2 and AMS2 simply identify it as a controller, using a dedicated preset which is not the wheel preset, with unavoidable deadzones and possibly filtering, whatever the settings in the UI are.
    Result is that everything is working fine in Windows, in other software, even in the assignment and calibration pages of both PC2 and AMS2. Except the fact that, when you start playing, both PC2 and AMS2 apply a 10% deadzone at both the first and last rotation range, meaning that at 900° you have the wheel in game starting to move when the physical wheel is over 45° from the center and full rotation is achieved at 450-45°, on each side. It may not be that clear when moving a thumbstick, given the small range of movement and the inherent lack of precision due to hardware or finger "specs" :D
    Just to repeat for clarity, the same input is correctly detected and registered on the whole rotation range in the calibration page without deadzones, so input is properly read by game engine, just transposed with some built in extra processing while playing.

I assume this is what other users are complaining about when talking about filtered or not direct controller input.

I reported this to Domagoj, who has been really helpful in first diagnose of what was the situation.
    I'm confident that sooner or later they will be able to remove this built in extra filtering of controller input.
    Most probably it's simply not that easy to modify the relevant code in an engine developed by somebody else, being sure this change doesn't mess other things up at the same time.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. Supermax

Supermax BANNED BANNED

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Is your deadzone in the STEAM controller settings also down to zero?

7. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

Opposite lock helper on?

8. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

ME input is not good, I don't know why SMS doesn't help with it. It needs new math and other tuning.

9. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

I've never used these and it only doesn't work anymore as of this update, which shouldn't have influenced any steam files.

Regardless, I tried looking for where you can even see the deadzone on Steam, and came up short.

10. FS7

No, it has always been off.

11. NoThrottleControl

NoThrottleControl New Member

Have you tried disabling the vjoy Y axis? It removes the steering dead zone for me when using vjoy in AMS2. And for some reason this only works if you disable the axis while running the game... If you disable it before starting AMS2 the dead zone remains.

And I hope todays steering lock change gets removed/reverted very soon because it is just an added annoyance (adjusting the steering lock back to normal values for every single car setup:rolleyes:) to those of us who use for example vjoy devices (because it's detected as a gamepad inside the game). It is really a bass ackwards "fix" for bigger controller issues. And from what i have seen no one that uses a gamepad really commented that it is a useful "fix"...

It was already a pain in the ass having to look into the car info spreadsheet and to manually adjust/recalibrate the correct steering DOR for every single car. And now the steering lock gets messed up automatically...:mad:

12. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Active Member

That's another bad thing in ME. I use wheel detection in other games to have unfiltered input for my gamepad but it doesn't work in ME. There is no reason why it shouldn't. It's good to disable all filters and aids.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Steam -> Settings -> Controller -> General Controller Settings

And then, under detected controllers, pick yours and press Calibrate and reduce deadzone to zero (my controller is 13 years old. i need the deadzone xD)

upload_2021-8-1_0-46-31.png

You can also open up the game, bring up the steam overlay and configure/calibrate the controller settings for the game.

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Wow, once again Reiza working through the weekend to deploy a lovely patch and another, great free car. GT Classics, if expanded to 4-5 cars, will be my most used class I imagine, especially if the roster of '70s circuits grows further with Spa, Monza and whatever delights will be in next year's historic track packs.

Really appreciate the continual AI improvement work too and will work my way through the rest of the changelog in a bit. Looking forward to pics of autumnal VIR.

This +1000.

I know there are more important things, but I can't believe this is the case after two Project CARS games and a couple of years of AMS2 development.

Not intended to be a single class car, hence it's the "initial entry". To be honest, 'non GP cars from the 70s' was the big glaring niche for me so I'm delighted to see this content; I hope the class grows to 4-5 cars (eg Corvette C3, BMW CSL, Ford Capri) in future; it'd honestly be my favourite class in game with all the period tracks.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AlexBfromG

AlexBfromG Well-Known Member

Renato said that they will always look to flesh out the classes.
    Here is hoping next month will be another big step like it was with Racin USA Pt1. Maybe Monza with some more endurance machines?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

So what is the "TC" number on the GT3 AMG dash supposed to represent as it seems to bear no relationship to this new TC control number what so ever. In fact it never changes and is stuck at "2". I also notice that the ICM setting does not change live as you press the TC assigned buttons. The value displayed is its current value upon entering the menu only. Backing out of the menu and then in again shows the new value fine so the TC is changing with button presses.

I was delighted to see that the game now recognises my Fanatec CSW as a preset. That stopped working quite some time ago and I had to use Custom and re-assign everything. It is back to full expected operation which was a pleasant surprise.

Would have been nice to have been informed ahead of time that we would lose our controller settings (FFB) so we could make note of them before hand as you wouldn't believe how long it took me to just tweak those 4 basic settings. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just checking in to say thanks for another update in which it's obvious that the team is pushing on multiple fronts to improve this great game. A few observations and thoughts:

• The multiple controller thing is very useful, but a heads up that the user will basically need to remap all controls for their existing default setup would have been nice.
    • The 74 Porsche is a very nice addition. A real handful and it looks and sounds great
    • VIR seasonal foliage = awesome
    • I really like the more subdued noises when driving over flat curbs
    • Salvador = ace
    • The massive reduction in the insane AI swerving coupled with slowing them down off the ideal line has made a big difference. Did a 5 lap quick race with the 2021 Stock Cars (100/50) at Oulton Park and it was just a total pleasure in race and to watch in replay. The AI still ignore the concrete bollards there though.
    • I don't know what the devs did to the M1 Procar but it's still an understeering pig, in the default setup basically impossible to get on throttle or off throttle oversteer. Maybe this was the car in real life, but it requires so many departures from the normal driving style that for me it's not a pleasure to drive.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FS7

With a Xbox 360 controller I don't have any problem with built-in deadzones in PCars1/2/AMS2 but I do feel like there's some sort of built-in filter in all 3 games that can cause some input lag, mainly in the PCars games, AMS2 seems to be the one to be affected the least by those filters and consequently the one I enjoy the most with a controller.
    In AMS1 at some point they released an update that implemented built-in deadzones, a lot of people complained about it myself included. Eventually they included a way to remove all built-in deadzones by editing a file. If there are hidden deadzones/filters in AMS2 hopefully they'll include an option to disable them in a future update.
    There's some issues that are more related to the handling of the cars though, like the corner entry snap oversteer & bouncy car thing that people have been complaining about.
    Before this update I usually changed the car's steering lock to something like 14/15 since that's the default setting for most cars in AMS1 and is what I use for most cars in other games I play.
    In AMS1 one can set a custom steering range in controller settings that will apply to all cars, or leave it at default and adjust steering range & steering lock in each car's setup.
    Imo instead of reverting to the previous setting maybe developers could include something similar in AMS2: in controller settings have an option to use either custom steering range & minimum steering lock that will apply to all cars, or leave that setting at default and then adjust steering range & steering lock in each car's setup if needed.

19. cnuk

cnuk New Member

Reporting my issue:
    Wheel: Thomas Superwheel Evolution Digital (no force feedback)
    Scheme: Type: Wheel
    Make: Custom
    Pedals: Separate
    I'm unable to edit assignments as the routine doesn't recognize any inputs from my wheel, pedals, shifter, or buttons.
    If I hold the inputs for awhile, sometimes I get the error message:
    "Multiple inputs were detected. No action was assigned".

I tried deleting the Automobilista 2 Folder in My Documents, but then I don't even see the error message. Controls are registering properly in the Windows Game Controllers GUI.

RESOLVED.
    I found out that if I quickly move, then release the controller inputs, the game will recognize them.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. sevenbelow7

sevenbelow7 New Member

Yep me too. Not all settings which was even more annoying ! Spent way too long on re doing it all. As for the new car (rsr) I’m underwhelmed to be honest. No doubt it’ll be updated umpteen times tho.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.