1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fastest way to drive is by locking up the brakes

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by SlowPoke80, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

What I do wonder is, if you flat-spot a tyre, is it more likely to lock up on that spot? Or does the game still calculate a round tyre?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Mumblesh

Mumblesh New Member

Is it just an effect? Does it cause a loss of grip? Does it mean an increase in wear over all and effect handling in some very particular way? Who knows the mystery of Reiza and their uncomplete game with it's million little niggles. All we can say is that Version 2.0.0.0 will be codenamed, Project Cars 2 (fixed edition).

So I'll wait till then before saying much else.

But unlike the OP; I might speculate, but won't accuse until I have some evidence of something.

3. Alwin Papegaaij

No it really influences the handling of the car and temperature and longevity and grip levels of the tyres.
    So definitely not just an effect

4. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

If you were enjoying it why does it matter arcade etc? Are you driving to prepare real formula or gt3 race while wearing capes in the night?
    By being grown ass rational man I would ask first like;” i had this case in these situations and this in other situations. Isn’t it wrong or this should be the other way.?!”
    Even though i prefer being open minded over fanboism they only see from your post “ bla bla bla, arcade, bla bla”.
    Arcade or simcade is not the topic of discussion but applying the physics is. This is the science way, and that need hypothesis, theory, experiments.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ok, so an opinion from a dude who has a few lap records on the TT leaderboards. Call me a fanboy or whatever, but you can take this advice with a "grain of salt."

• Locking up is not faster by any means. I can't speak for how the ABS behaves in cars that have it because I always have ABS off, but as for cars without it, you will not brake as efficiently when you're locked up. I know because quite a few minor lockups ruined my TT attempts.
    • As for someone getting away with it and still being fast in a lobby, they're probably making up time in other areas of the corner that you aren't as good with. I'm definitely guilty of that at times, where I'll consistently lock up into a corner, but still make up more time on keeping a high minimum speed or good exit.
    • The time delta may tell you that you're time is "faster" when locking, but that's only because you haven't bled off as much speed into the corner as if you didn't lock up. If that is the case, back off a little on the brake pressure and you may be able to brake deeper into the corner.
    • Lockups will hurt you if you have tire wear on. A few laps later you'll be feeling the effects of ruining the tires.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

You're a monkey who cannot be trained.
    And yes, you're here only for my entertainment, whether you like it or not.
    Now, grind an organ for me. Ooops, I forgot... untrainable.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Sometimes I accidently slide through a corner. It gives me a faster laptime, but generally it ****s up my tires and I lose on the long run. But such a slide and save it is fun, tho

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Active Member

as everything that gets discussed here about ams2, I can give you the template for the answer : "it's not a bug, it's a feature".

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Alwin Papegaaij

Well, large part of the responses here also have to do with the attitude and manner of communication of the OP.
    If there is an issue, then it is welcomed to prove it with footage so it can be discussed.

I do agree with you that often people feel the need to defend the simulator (I might be guilty of that every now and then). But often I do see good discussions where both sides try to prove their point. And mind you, not every criticism point is valid, so defense should definitely be allowed I think.

Edit: typo

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3