1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera dampening

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Nats, Jul 18, 2021.

1. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

The bonnet view if one of the few usefull views for damper and rollbar setups since it is fixed. Im really happy about any undamped camera in a game that gives a hint of the cars body movement. It's the same in DiRT Rally. The dampened cockpit views and external following camera views are absolutely not usable for that.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Yeah I did understand that.
    But as the cockpit view is allready damped slightly to much for my taste (slightly the man said ;)) - then I still fear that if Reiza does have to change the damping on your prefered views then something could happen AGAIN with the cockpit view.
    And by that I mean that it will be understandable seen from Reizas point of view if they said:
    Ok after all these ongoing moaning about the terrible bouncing in AMS2 then we will demonstrate how we can smooth everything out.:eek:

ByTheWay: Because then maybe all these damaged users will feel at home in AMS2 because all its former camera "rawness" has gone - so they now have an AMS2 just as camera bouncing boring as iRacing, rF2, Raceroom and ACC.o_O

3. Nats

Nats Member

Yeah I like the AMS2 bumpiness generally I think it adds to the immersion and feeling of speed, its just the F1 cars that seem just a bit too bumpy in the bonnet view to me. I would suggest that the devs add a slider to alter the bumpiness then you could alter it to your liking as everyone is different - that would be very useful. In the same way as you can presently dampen the FFB.

Would be even better if there was a 'rawness slider' for each camera view so you could alter each of them independantly. As said above some people want the camera views to be very raw so they can adjust springs etc in those views. But some people want to drive in those views permanently. Its just about giving people the choice to configure the game the way they want.

I mean there is a damper control in the game already for the cockpit view, its just annoying it doesnt affect any of the other views.

4. BrunoB

Ideally this would be usefull - yes.
    But quite different from the simple slider for as example the FFB strength then my guess is that it is much more difficult to add sliders for car bumpiness or camera "rawness".
    Why?
    Because the two last ones are the outcome of multiple different forces/movements while as example the FFB strength slider just have to raise or lower a single force that allready have its own slider.

ByTheWay: The difference above is also the reason its close to impossible for endusers of a game to exactly evaluate how easy/difficult it is for devs to add or change settings or items allready in the game.

5. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

When I tried the new Porsche at Bathurst and brands yesterday I thought the bounce was perfectly fine I'm sure it's been toned down on the quiet.

6. Nats

Nats Member

It's only the Formula cars that suffer from very bumpy camera views, the rest of the cars are fine. I don't know why, maybe softer suspension? Although you would think there wouldnt be much difference between Formula cars that are having to be driven for 2 hrs solid and GT cars. Surely the level of suspension must be approximately the same?

So no real idea why the cameras are so bumpy in those openwheel cars. I think its a bug because the same openwheel cars in PCars2 are not anywhere near as bumpy.

7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Modern open-wheeler suspension doesn't have much to do with GT3 cars. They run third springs to eliminate the pitch/squat during braking/acceleration and prevent the underbody aero from stalling. As a consequence the suspension can be quite stiff and this manifests itself as high-frequency low-amplitude pitching motion. So it's a consequence of the physics, not a bug.

Probably because the PC2 suspension/aero model is incorrect/unrealistic.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. BrunoB

You are probably 100% correct.
    And my 5 cent to this is that this shows something about AMS2´s great handling of the bounciness because both the frequency and amplitude can be influenced by different car setups.
    To a certain degree ofcourse.:D

ByTheWay: Im not an expert but I think that I have not experienced the same influence on the visual bounciness by differences in individual setups.

EDIT: "I have not experienced the same influence" () in other racing games - I mean:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  9. BrunoB

For those who still hold the oppinion that the camera bouncing in AMS2 is way exaggered compared to other racing sims - then do youself a favour and start Racerooms Formula-X17 up on the fantastic looking Lakeview Hillclimb.
    Not just to prove me wrong :D - but also because this car/track combi is great fun.
    But this car on this track is bouncing way more harsh than any car on any track in AMS2.
    At least if you use cockpit view!;)

ByTheWay: The reason I permanently (hopefully temporary :D) does use Racerooms TT instead is because I have got tired of the way Reiza have accepted pCars2´s misplaced(IMO) way of implanting a semi-TT mode- where the car state (mainly tires) is not reset when the individual laps is completed.:rolleyes:

F-X17-LakeviewHillclimb.jpg