1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Version: 1.2.1.4
    Car: Formula Trainer
    Track: Montreal
    AI strength: 100
    AI Aggression: 50
    Report: In order to avoid getting overtaken by player, AI drivers constantly cut corners by going over the grass or jumping over sausage curbs without losing control or speed in chicanes and then force their way back to track.
    And when player has to break for traffic in front, guys from behind, with absolutely no eye for the situation, try to do risky overtakes and ram, also by cutting corners.
    Please add penalties for AI in races or correct their driving style/physics. Racing the Ai in such cars on tracks with chicanes/narrow corners is rather a Need for Speed - experience right now.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 6
  2. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

• Car / Track used: F Classics (gen 1-3)
    • AI Strength setting: 87
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): after Wakefield turn (turn 4) (see photo below)
    • AI Aggression setting: 45
    • Session Distance: 5 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Clear
    • Player Tyre: Soft
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race, started last (with 19 opponents)
    Report: Don't know if it has been reported before or not, but with every formula classic car i raced in this track (same happened with other car classes too - but with f cars it is almost sure that you will see it), there is always a havoc (pile up of cars) right after the Wakefield turn, on the 1st lap

IMG_2563.jpg

Seems that a car (between 10th - 19 th place) is the one that causes this havoc (?)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  3. Vilson Machado

Vilson Machado New Member

AI hugely slower in wet track than in dry track. When I race the AI in dry conditions, I get similar lap times, but when the track is wet I'm about 8 to 10 seconds faster.
    Car: Copa Uno
    Track: every track
    AI aggression: 30
    Ai strength:96
    Session distance: 38 laps ( not relevant to the issue).
    Type of session: all types.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sprint Racer AI have become pretty overpowered over the last few updates. At 100% skill 50% aggression they are significantly faster than the player in any straight sections of any track. Even if you start a straight tucked in behind an AI he will pull away like he has an extra 20 bhp.

I think the Caterham Superlight falls into the same category. Both these cars require 11/10ths to compete against at 100%.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nats

Nats Member

Car: Any car it seems but most noticed in the GT4s
    Track: Jerez
    AI aggression: 80
    Ai strength: 80
    Session distance: not relevant to the issue
    Type of session: Solo races
    Issue: AI cars always seem to brake when they go under the bridge on the start/finish straight just before the first corner, maybe its the tarmac change of colour or something?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

• Car / Track used: Superkart @ Salvador Street Circuit
    • AI Strength setting: 87 (undependant)
    • AI Aggression setting: 50 (undependant)
    • Session Distance: 5 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Clear
    • Player Tyre: Soft
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race, started last (with 19 opponents)
    Completely ai mess when you race at this circuit. Total carnage. Also, undependant of this track, the AI continues to be very bad in this kind of kart

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Version: 1.2.2.0
    Track & Layout Used
    : Cascais Alternate (but it is similar on other tracks)
    Car Used: Formula Vee
    Applicable Settings: Race Weekend, AI: 100%, Aggression 80%. 15 laps. Dry track.
    Report:
    1. AI achieve same laptimes in qualifying and race (1.57.xx). Ok, these cars do not need much fuel, but should be a bit slower during race, though.
    2. AI still is about 2-3 seconds slower when you skip session (2.00.xx). As I would like to use this feature to check if AI strength is right for me, it is a bit annoying.:whistle:
    3. AI is extremely aggressive during practice/qualifying, still having speed while going on fantasy lines, trying to overtake at any spot of the track, ramming player out. During races, their driving is a little more decent.
    4. In race, they still do their going side by side thing for ages, exceeding track limits, go over grass/gravel without losing speed, trying to force their way through when player is near that way in some corners.
    5. AI still has too much grip, so that they can be fast on some spots although they missed the racing line completely.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Version: 1.2.2.0
    Track & Layout Used
    : Any
    Car Used: Any
    Applicable Settings: NA
    Report: Similar to above, not a bug as such. AI do not moderate power when alongside and off the track, instead keeping full power on and will try and regain the track at all costs, this without considering the related issue of the loss of grip that they fail to exhibit when on the grass and running full power... If you happen to be on the track limit when this happens they will ram the side of your car, instead of coming off the power and slotting back in behind. At the same time if an obstacle exists they will hit it because they are currently incapable of doing anything except maintaining full power and maximum steering lock in order to get back on track, regardless of whether or not another car or upcoming obstacle is there.
    This makes normal racing impossible as you cannot force an ai wide on corner exit in the traditional sense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.2.2.0
    Car: Porsche RSR
    Track: Silverstone (and others)
    AI Strength: 100%
    AI Aggression: 60%
    Corner (if issue is corner specific): start
    Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    Setup: default
    Assist: none
    Player Tyre: dry
    AI Tyre: dry
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race

This is probably already known to Reiza and has probably been mentioned elsewhere but the AI in the new Porsche RSR are slow off the start line. Perhaps the same issue that the German Group A cars have?

Also, despite the recent reworking of the AI lines, I still find AI cars are slow at Silverstone coming off Becketts into Chapel onto the Hangar Straight....certainly in the RSR and a few others cars I've tried (eg. GT3s) .

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

Yesterday I tried a 30 min GT3 AI race at SPA, with lots of AI issues, the biggest one being an AI car spinning and going off track and then coming back at full speed and hitting several cars on their return to the track, including mine, causing serious damage.

Today I attempted the same race again, and it was even worse. AI cars will often try to swerve into what they think should be their line, even if there is a car already there. Not only did the AI did this to me but I also saw them doing this between themselves. A few times I passed an AI car on the outside, and them the AI car hit me sideways near the back as I was passing. Twice I spun becouse of this.

And then near the end of the race another huge issue with the AI that has been around forever and never fixed came back, and that is, when an AI car will suddently swerve in front of you (or into you) right before a corner. On the straight after Eau-Rouge I was side by side with an AI car, me on the outside (on the left), and as we approched the next right corner the AI car suddenly swerved to the left, into me, sending me of track and hopelessly damaging my suspension. Why? A few laps before this I saw the same happening between two AI cars, causing the one on the outside to spin and then go into the pits because of the damage.

I understand all sims have their AI issues, and I've had some good AI races here and there in AMS2, with certain track and car combos, but for the most part I'm having more bad times than good times, and between this and the physics inconsistencies I think it's time for me to step back from AMS2 again for a few months and come back after a few more updates. I don't have a lot of time in my day to sim race, so I'd rather spend it on something that will not cause me so much frustration.

Sorry for the rant :(

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Car: MCR S2000 P4
    Track: Tested at Silverstone and Brands Hatch GP, probably everywhere
    AI Strength: 93-95%
    AI Aggression: 60%
    Setup: default

The MCR S2000 AI has too much acceleration out of corners compared to the player who is unable to keep up. Issue persists even after reducing AI difficulty. Occurs in every corner at multiple tracks.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. James Lee GTE

James Lee GTE Active Member

F3 Dallara, the six speed version, but I’m sure this applies to every formula car in the game at silverstone 1991.
    The AI cannot cope with kerbs, when you get within one second of them either in front of them or behind them.
    Lap one feels like I’m playing Star Wars squadrons with all the cars taking off, flying through debris and I’ve yet to complete a race where full damage is turned on.
    Up to half the grid retire and a couple get disqualified. It’s a shame because for hot lapping, I love this combo.
    Lap one they are at their worst, from T1 and all the way through the Maggots complex.
    I tried a new strat and pitted lap two, less cars retired because I was racing alone on track, but as soon I get within one second of an AI, they go completely bonkers and drive up the kerbs and into the air, both in front of me and in my mirrors.
    I can only complete a race if I turn damage off and let the cars land on me penalty free.
    Honestly it’s so bad, please try F3 6 speed at Silverstone 91, set grid position to middle and watch the carnage unfold.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I can confirm.

Don't bother racing the AI on Silverstone 91 with the F309, waste of time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ai still require significant work. Their speeds are unrealistic through some corners of and they overtake in kamikaze fashion and drive in the wet like they are unaffected by the standing water and rain.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. chonk

chonk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Car: Porsche 911 GT3 R
    Track: Bathurst
    AI Strength: 92%-100%
    AI Aggression: 30% 60% 90%
    Setup: tweaked defaults
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): quali/race

Long story short AI are currently unraceable at Bathurst for a number of reasons. They are essentially some of the worst wreckers I've ever seen. Over the course of the last 2 days I attempted to run this race maybe 15 times. On all but 3 of those occasions they caused a pile up on lap one. Usually either at T1 or the cutting. Incredibly frustrating experience. Being mid pack with them is almost a guaranteed wipeout.

Other issues include them being in full race mode during quali, doing full quali laps side by side. Not pitting during quali after completely wrecking themselves.

During the race itself regardless of aggression settings they would perform psychotic manoeuvers into T2, wild darts to get back online while in a pack, pit manoeuvres and kamikaze full speed rejoins from off track.

I also think pace wise GT3s are still about .5s too quick around there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Car: Stock Car 2021
    Track: Donington Park
    AI Strength: 96
    AI Aggression: 60
    Weather when the issue was observed: rain (single weather slot)
    Setup: tweaked defaults
    Player Tyre: wet

AI had far more grip than I do under acceleration. While I can only do 1/2 or 3/4 throttle, they seem to be able to go full throttle.

Conversely, I had far more grip than them under braking and cornering. They were gingerly going into the corner like they were on snow while I was driving a race car.

Result was me going by 2 cars in the corner and them going right back around me in the straight. Completely different than in the dry where these are the best tuned AI in the entire game.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Member

Honestly I don't think it's a matter of report bugs here and there, with this or that car, although this is the goal of the thread. The AI is almost the same Project Cars 2 mess. I tried the game this morning to list some AI issues and input here but my Excel spreadsheet was uncontrollably growing. As a software developer I would say some codes are more difficult to fix than to create a fresh one from scratch and that is not going to happen in the case of AMS2/PC2 AI logics.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

Car: Porsche 911 RSR 1974
    Track: Silverstone 1975 no chicane
    AI Strength: 100
    AI Aggression: 80
    Weather when the issue was observed: Dry, cloudy
    Setup: tweaked default

On lap 1, in the final corner before the finish line, I paused and went to take a photo. After I returned all AI cars spun at the same time. Not sure if it was related to me pausing or if that was just a big coincidence. It did result in a cool picture when going through the replay after though :D.

ss004122.jpg

eurobeat intensifies

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This may be connected to the AI doing odd things when unpausing the game. If you follow them closely from behind and pause and unpause the game, they will slow down and cause the player to ram them from behind.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Car / Track used: (any, but Oulton Park in this specific example & Ginetta G40)
    • AI Strength setting:(Any but in this example 120%)
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): N/A
    • AI Aggression setting: 70%
    • Session Distance: Any
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Wet
    • Player Tyre: Wet
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): Wet
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race) Race
    • If I could pick one thing about the new update that I think is the most important thing to address, it would be the A.I. performance in the wet. As soon as I saw this had been looked at in the the update notes I was very excited and went straight in for a race with changing weather conditions. I hate to say this but it was not good news!
      When V1.2.0.2 came out I was over the moon as the A.I. went from being far too slow in the wet, to about the same skill level they have in the dry, I was then able to set up races with changing weather with no fear that they would just slow right down the moment it started raining.
      Now after V1.2.2.0 they seem to have regressed back to how they were before that update.

I think this is very important to address as for offline players it makes It pointless to have a race with changing weather and A.I., as as soon as it starts raining, its just a given you're gunna win. I have every faith Reiza will address this as they usually do, but in respect of the A.I. I am now missing older versions.

AMS2 has an amazing weather system and I want to be able to utilize that in offline race's with A.I. aswell as the multiplayer, but after this update I can't.

Anyway I've tried to illustrate this as clearly as possible in this video, hope its useful