1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Some errors and problems do not get cleared by rebooting such as USB features. Only gets reset with a hard shutdown and then start.

2. Chip

Chip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

My apologies, I should have clarified: By reboot I meant a full shutdown and restart.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

I also see large fluctuations in frame times in VR.

Obviously different conditions have a massive impact (5ms frame times in clear daylight can tank to >20ms frame times at dusk or when it rains on the same track for me). But I do wonder if the randomness of the weather has an effect here - given the huge variation due to different conditions, some conditions selected to the same may still vary enough to have an impact. I'd expect dry / cloudless skys to always be consistent but the same rain and / or cloud level can result in variations that may impact performance.

Regardless of this, it does feel like something's not right. The variation in performance is so extreme that it makes it impossible to get a decent set of gfx settings - you may have loads and loads of unused GPU power at one point in a session, only to see massive stutter / motion smoothing artifacts later on

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

I tell my wife its this or a motorbike.. That normally has the required effect :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Chip

I concur something is not right: There should be not be a ~50% variance in frame rates without ANY settings changes (graphics, weather, etc) between sessions on identical tracks/cars in the same game mode. This indicates some sort of bug. I do not encounter this with any other sim...and AMS2 is supposed to be the best sim of them all in VR, which when it is functioning correctly, it truly is!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

Since the last update, centring the VR view puts my head on the centreline of the car (or thereabouts). I've tried running AMS2 in Oculus and Steam modes and they're the same, and I've re-centred the view in Oculus and Steam, but that changes nothing either. Other games seem unaffected.

Any ideas?

7. Ochilbaz

Ochilbaz Active Member

I also have huge discrepancies. I play the game sometimes and I think it’s really good then next day it’s terrible. I play on rift s and have steady 80fps but the visual quality varies significantly between sessions resulting in me messing around with various settings only to find next day I have to change them all back again. Looks like I’m not alone

8. mist3rf0ur

mist3rf0ur Member

Has anyone tried the new Porsche in helmet cam view? I swear there's no performance hit using it. Maybe the big performance hit using the helmet cam in other cars is tied to the visor being in front of the eyes whereas it's not there in the RSR.

9. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Sounds like you need to cycle through the cameras to get back in the driver's seat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

Yeah, I realised that yesterday, but thanks anyway. The strange thing is that I've only ever used cockpit view, so didn't even have a button mapped to change it, but for some reason the camera changed from cockpit to something almost the same (it was in the cockpit, but not the cockpit view, and I realised because it drew the driver's head, which it shouldn't do for cockpit view).

11. Zeeflyboy

Zeeflyboy New Member

Anyone had success with the OpenVR FidelityFX super resolution mod?

I've used it to fantastic effect with ACC, but on AMS2 it crashes on start with the modified .dll

12. Chip

Same issue here. I think I read on the GitHub page that several things need to be modified in order for it to work with AMS2, and the effects were not worth it. Just one opinion though of course.

13. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Have you guys tried the version within this thread?
    It worked for me but; later decided just going with default oculus one is smoother besides no huge performance deal.
    FSR for OpenVR

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zeeflyboy

Zeeflyboy New Member

No but NuScorpii had helpfully linked me to it on reddit earlier... haven't had a chance to try yet.

Cheers!

15. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Anyone with 6900xt and G2 that can share their settings?

Currently on 2500*2500 per eye, MSAA medium and it's consistent 90 FPS on all tracks with full AI Grid.

However night crushes FPS tremendously.

In addition rain also crushes FPS, but it has again to do with lights. Whenever there are many cars behind you the FPS suffers. The rain itself doesn't matter that much.

It seems there is a "bug" with cars shining inside your car or something. I hope they one time fix it.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. DarrenM

DarrenM New Member

I just experimented at Long beach and found the same thing.

1 lap night race, full grid starting from last place. If I follow the AI around in last place I get 80+fps for the whole lap. If I overtake just 2-3 of them into T1 I get 40-50 fps for the whole rest of the lap.

Shadows are off and pretty much everything at min except texture resolution.
    Turning mirrors off makes no difference.
    Switching to different cameras makes no difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ScythieVR

ScythieVR New Member

..same here

18. Luke Blum

Luke Blum Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Check Nvidia control panel! For some reason, when I went to the AMS2 executable (if you have Nvidia) mine was set to integrated graphics. Which by the way, I have zero clue how it got like that! Must have been some funky driver update or something. Set it to Nvidia processor. Or whatever they call it in the control panel! Good luck and hope thats your issue

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Chip

Potentially dumb question, but I won’t be near my PC for the next few days so figured it was worth asking to save some time poking around in the UI:

Using VR, is there a way to save a replay and have it playback as if you’re onboard again in VR? I’m interested in creating a benchmark to evaluate the performance impact of different graphics settings (external graphic settings specifically). Thanks!

20. Todd Norbury

Todd Norbury norbs AMS2 Club Member

I dont think so.