1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 June 2021 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Jul 1, 2021.

1. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

What Sim-racing title Studio's are you comparing Reiza Development Updates to?

2. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

I am not comparing them to anyone in particular.

Here's the problem: whether intentionally or not, Reiza has followed a pattern that leads users to expect monthly development updates. These types of updates have been posted almost every month for over a year (April 2020, May 2020, July 2020, August 2020, October 2020, November 2020, December 2020, January 2021, February 2021, April 2021, May 2021 and June 2021). Because of that pattern, users anticipate that Reiza will continue to provide these updates every month---regardless of whether Reiza has ever promised to do this, and regardless whether this is a reasonable thing to ask Reiza to do.

Most studios don't provide monthly updates. But Reiza decided to follow this pattern and over the past year many users have come to expect it. That's why when Reiza occasionally fails to provide an update around the first of the month, some users will either complain or will ask when/whether we should expect to see the update. Reiza could have avoided this problem by simply including relevant development update information in the main posting about the monthly release or, alternatively, by informing users that we should not expect development updates each month and that they are shifting to an alternative schedule (either quarterly or entirely arbitrary). Ideally, of course, they would not have created the false expectation in the first place.

The issue is not whether Reiza is doing a good job of providing actual content (I think they are doing great at this). The issue also isn't whether Reiza is doing a poor job providing updates (again, they probably provide more information than most other studios). The problem is that Reiza is not very good at public relations and has badly managed its users' expectations. Repeated questions about whether we should expect a monthly development roadmap are merely a good example of this. I think this failure to manage expectations is part of the reason AMS2 is the best overall sim on the market but unfortunately hasn't captured and retained as many users as we might expect, given how good it really is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

I dont think you speak for the majority on this. Most people seem fairly happy with the comms looking at the comments. I wasnt aware that I should be expecting monthly comms. Perhaps I should be more outraged that I havent been communicated with this month? You of course are entitled to your own opinion on the frequency, strategy etc but its all a bit minor rain shower in a small cup to me...

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

I'll add one more point.

Overall, I think most of the popular YouTube channels have a negative impact on the sim-racing community. Regardless whether we love them or hate them, however, they're here to stay, and they obviously influence the sims people are willing to try and the general attitudes people have toward different sims. (For example, I think a lot of streamers are completely wrong when they criticize AMS2's physics, but their opinions are unfortunately taken seriously by others who watch those streams.) In any case, it's in Reiza's interest for popular YouTube channels to talk about AMS2 favorably.

I mention all of that because maintaining a consistent release schedule and then strictly following that schedule is important if you want to appeal to the biggest channels. The big channels are businesses that plan out their videos and their activities weeks or months in advance. If they trusted Reiza to always release new information or new content on the first of each month, some of those channels would plan to review or comment on that material in a reaction video. On the other hand, when content releases occur a few days late (and when development updates aren't posted at all), streamers become annoyed because their schedule is disrupted. That type of annoyance will lead them either not to speak as favorably about AMS2 in the future or not to plan to immediately review new content releases, and only work AMS2 videos into their schedules at a slower pace. Both of those outcomes are bad for Reiza.

In any case, I'd be perfectly happy if Reiza slowed down the updates. I just think that they'd be better off if in the future they pick a schedule and strictly abide by it.

5. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

Actually what these updates are not coincidentally released every month instead; they are in fact what reiza decided and announced to do in that way to keep crowds alive.
    To compare other sims; they have huge player base compared to and not need to build a development plan like this.
    Besides, the game is not in a finished state so that they will work on QoL issues for months. If they would not release an update for that month I bet they will announce that.

6. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

Well, obviously most people who post on the Reiza Forum are going to be dedicated fans who are still happy with the sim. Most of those who have lost faith and swapped to other sims will have stopped posting here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

If you want to shoot down the argument for reliable communication related to reputation look at Rf2. Terrible comms, even rarer updates, yet regarded as one of the best to the extent its chosen for esports. I dont get it either but it makes it hard to leap to your defence about comms..

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Actually Ive uninstalled to wait for some particular to me fixes. Im losing confidence in the long term future of AMS2 but am willing to wait and see. After all, to me its just product. Im not investing anything of myself in it, so why not stick around the forum.. theres other titles out there sure but they all have their issues too. AMS 2 runs really well on my rig and looks fantastic, feels good too. Let down by lack of depth and ai but like I said, why shouldnt I stick around to keep an eye on its development.. The way people talk its like theyre investing some enormous part of themselves in it and its like the ultimate betrayal or something when its not running on rails..
    Perspective people. Lets keep some.

Edit- Oh yeah another thing. Its not an Either/ Or situation and I wish people would stop talking like it is. My steam account is full of driving sims. I dont just buy one because some youtube clown says so. I buy whatever looks good at the time, is on sale etc etc. I have Rf2, PC2, Raceroom, Dirt, AC, ACC and even cough cough F1 2020. It is not an either or when it comes to driving sims. Please please understand that when it comes to youtube daftness.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I like AMS2, I like Reiza, I like frequent updates.
    What’s wrong with that or the opinion that it would have been better if Reiza would have informed us in a few words that we will not get a dev update this month?
    Not a tragedy of course but would have been nice IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Yeah it would have been nice. Not exactly going to cause me any loss of sleep though :D

11. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

This isn't true: AMS2 has a relatively small and shrinking user base compared to other sims.

Here's a list of active Steam users in different sims, along with the percentage of users this represents compared to their all-time peak (see here for the data Most played Racing Games Steam Charts).

Title of the Sim: Active Users (Percentage of All Time Peak)
    Assetto Corsa: 6,971 (60%)
    Assetto Corsa Competizione: 3,684 (53%)
    Dirt Rally 2: 1,868 (53%)
    Race Room: 1,024 (39%)
    RFactor2: 658 (40%)
    AMS2: 358 (31%)

AMS2 has both the lowest number of users of those sims (which obviously does not include other popular titles like iRacing or arcade titles like the F1 series). In fact, AMS2 is potentially shrinking faster than the original AMS (there are 178 active users, which is still 38% of its all time peak).

I assume it's important for Reiza to maintain its user base---single players, multiplayers, and everyone who might be interested. Maintaining a consistent schedule would help with that process, at least a little bit.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. bandqit

bandqit Active Member

Just having a bit of a laugh mate! Your English is excellent.
    (Hell of a lot better than my German, anyway. So who am I to judge?!)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah i wasn't misinterpreting it, no worries, we already had the Jürgen Klopp Meme. :D
    Scroll back to the post btw., i tried my best to repair it earlier. :p

14. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

I'm proudly user of Life for Speed..so..., you know.., this is all butter on the ceiling (
    Argentine way of saying..):D:D:rolleyes::oops:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Reiza would do well polish up its presentation. I mean, AMS2 launched March of last year. The website STILL says " We're currently working on our brand new site! Until it's ready you can find us on social media or our new forum".

You say you'd rather they work on the game than on a website. I agree with you. But it feels like a sinking ship. Multiplayer numbers are so bad i dont both. I've burned out hotlapping in TT mode months ago. Constant "progress" that breaks cars I loved and constantly forces me to search for something I can enjoy again is really off-putting. I know the physics engine is suppsoed to be more stable now, but these are perceptions and reputations that Reiza is building.

They ARE seen as in over their heads by the sim racing community at large, and AMS2 IS seen as simcade boondoggle (Honestly, despite my own criticism in this post, I think this is completely undeserved).

Fact is, this game was released nearly 1.5 years ago. And it still has a ton of flaws and problems.

1. The multiplayer UX is fantastic, but without any kind of ranking or logging system, there's no motivation for aanyone to bother
    2. The TT mode is hampered by constantly changing physics models. You have no idea what you're up against anymore. People have suggested adding version numbers, dates, or just resetting, to this point I've not seen that happen yet.
    3. Championship mode is still not polished. It's frankly unfinished. For a championship you should have at least some kind of final standings, show it to you, and I think they should be logged in your game somewhere.
    4. All the bugs are excessive. They just indicate a lack of play testing. It's the reason the leagues have moved on from AMS2.
    5. The historic open wheel content is absolutely amazing, but they still cant be bothered to fix the driver models in some of these. The BT44 still has the thums going through the steering wheel. Some of the Formula cars have mangled up legs going through the seat bottom. The Lotus 79 has the knuckles scraping the dash... It just indicates a lack of attention to detail, which is what @bmerrell was indicating earlier.
    None of these things are major deal breakers in the long run. Even all of these things together aren't that big of a deal. But from the outside looking in, everyone sees a simcade boondoggle that keeps pushing out content and doesn't take care of its own problems, still doesn't have a functioning website, and still has NO ROADMAP. You dont even have to put dates on your roadmap. You dont have to put DETAILS. Just let us know where the sim is headed. A development roadmap would prevent the need for monthly updates. Just give us an idea of what your long term goals are. Maybe I'll hang on longer hoping the game will finally coalesce into a complete package.

If I had known they would abandon the multiplayer side of things so completely for the sake of a still broken championship mode for so long, I probably wouldn't have stuck around as long as I have. But if there's something in the roadmap about developing some kind of even basic, rudimentary multiplayer stat tracking system, then I'd gladly stick around, knowing they'll eventually fix all the bizarre gamebreaking bugs in multiplayer mode.

They're focusing on content, but by the time they get done, there's not going ot be anyone left around to play it. The user numbers are bad. Games dont often recover from bad reputations (See Cyberpunk, Fallout 76, Project Cars 2) and as soon as the community at large passes collective judgment, your fate is nearly sealed. If they fixed every single thing all the youtube influencers complain about it still woudlnt bring all of them back. Everyone is always going to look for "simcade" in the physics, and say the madness engine is impossible to fix. This is clearly wrong. But I do think a development roadmap would go a long way towards showing that they have a plan, a schedule, and a vision for the game, and at least we can see whether that vision aligns with our wants as customers.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Beccobunsen

I am an Italian-Argentine who thinks in Italian, swears in Neapolitan and tries to write in English..., i try to understand everybody, tourist service mind

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

I also still have deep affection for LFS.

18. Beccobunsen

as a website developer (ish), this hurts, I admit

19. Beccobunsen

tyres model, tyres model !!!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Why it isn't a "sinking ship".
    80%+ of the changelogs are bugfixes and polish. Doesn't read like biggest focus on content. o_O

Do we really have to go through this whole "these people work on these tasks and the others work on their specialties" topic again?

I don't disagree with some of your points, but your post is written like a prophecy of doom, induced by impressions out of a certain bubble.

AMS2 hasn't bombed and is already more popular than AMS1, believe it or not...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1