1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public Lobby Ideas

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by EelcoT, Aug 10, 2021.

1. EelcoT

EelcoT New Member

I really like the game. For me its perfect to jump in and have some fun for some hours.

BUT---> the public lobbies are a mess.

I'd like to see that Reiza studios takes control of the lobbies and unify the whole bunch!!!
    - Official lobbies!
    -something to race for!
    -going online and knowing there's good racing!
    -Historically accurate racing!
    -Rules, weather, Qual and race times that make sense!
    -Like SRS with competition and weekly change of tracks and cars!

THAT would make me want to race again! :) Good luck

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

nice idea. But every host is able to do that with exactly the same tools.
    So why don't you?

3. EelcoT

EelcoT New Member

I do. you have to be lucky to see your lobby get popular. it costs time and patience. in the meantime on a sunday afternoon youll see a wild list of people who try the same. so theres 40-50 people online... 15 of them are doing the exact same thing and have lobbys with 1, 2, 3 maybe more people joining
    --- so its scattered most of the time. only the top 3 lobbies are populair at most. the rest is just sitting and hoping their lobbies will get popular too.
    -- id like to see it be managed a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You have to be lucky to host a populated server. Tried a few times, don't recall to have succeded once.

And it is not like I tried wild combos. Most of the time I go with clear weather, short race, famous track, open wheel.

Maybe the problem is the open wheel... people race nothing but the damned GT3/GTE bs all the time. F*** this class!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I've another idea... Every AMS 2-user has to battle me first so I can classify them as worthy to drive in MP. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

iRacing have the best online system. Period!
    Unfortunately I dislike $$$ all the other things in iRacing except online races.

And then there's Raceroom and its (not too recent) Ranking System and Daily Ranked Races. There are today 3 servers for rookies with fixed setups and free of Reputation exigence: Audi TT Cup car, GTR4 and Formula Jr.
    2 servers with MinRep 75 using respectively DTM 1992 and Formula 3
    These are 15min races each 30 min (global or regional)
    And then Tatuus F4, MinRep 80, 2x20min races, 2 races at 18:00 & 22:30 (CEST)
    And GTR3 class, MinRep 80, 60min at 19:30
    And finally 911 GT3 Cup at Nords, MinRep 75, 27min race, 21:14 CEST
    Plenty of options, agree?
    There is more. The Weekly Ranked Event, tiers bronze, silver and gold and 3 servers Australia, EU, South/North America, according to reputation and rating.

These are the servers where you can gain Reputation and Rating. Any server upped by any user can stablish the minimum Rep and Rat for someone to joining in.

This is an example of a good system that I would be glad if implemented here in AMS2.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Wild Cheese

Wild Cheese New Member

I agree the casual multiplayer community needs some help to focus and come together in good MP sessions where it's worth racing in.

From experience the user lobbies are too random, with often strange session configs and only 2-3 people in them. Also there are plenty of dedicated servers but none of them seems to get enough player traffic to elevate it and become a place to go for the casual player.

So maybe official servers running a daily race is one idea to be a focus to build up the MP community. Another idea is lobby templates to help the casual players setup simple sprint races with little effort and reduce these bizarre lobbies (45 minute practice for a 5 lap race). Even a daily race template where you could join or launch a daily race lobby with one click.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

the DS lacks a small but nescessary feature.
    Scheduled events.
    Currently you can setup a set of sessions in a rotation scheme, but you cannot set
    e.g.
    10:00 30min practice, 10min qualy , 15min race / track, vehicles, rules
    11:00 30min practice, 10min qualy , 15min race / track, vehicles, rules
    etc.
    Because currently you need a minimum of one participant to start a session, nobody knows when the next session gets active.

Setting up a p2p session is nice to start a session immediately, but if you need a real person that must be a paricipant to start the programmed session, its impossible to create real schedules.

I think, if that would be possible, the acceptance would be much better, as you can check a posted schedule and know when to attend the rotating server.
    Thats one of the advantages of the iRacing MP System.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think expecting iRacing's multiplayer in AMS2 is a rather impossible task, given that iRacing is years old and constantly developed. Not factoring the income stream which they can utilise to run their services.

It would be nice to have, don't get me wrong. But come on, be realistic.

10. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe he meant something like SRS already does.

In fact, theorically SRS should suffice the MP needs we have. It really works very well with AC (reasonably well populated), but it hasn't stickied with AMS2.

The few times I tried it (quite a while ago) there were only 4 people in the races and the session was awful. Things did not go smoothly at all, ghost contacts, weird car shaking on screen and all sorts of fked up lag-like behaviour on track.

This should be smoothened by now, so I wonder why AMS2 SRS hasn't picked up a population yet.

Day after day I get this feeling there is no where for us online players to run. The only path is iRacing it seems. Too bad for me I guess, 1 foking dollar is worth 6 times my currency...

• Like Like x 1
  11. EelcoT

EelcoT New Member

Thank you for commenting :) So it seems its crucial for developers to implement a serious online system to survive.
    Does Reiza read these topics?

12. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

My experience of hosting casual lobbies is good, most nights we will have a race with 12-16 people in it, even with odd combinations and weather/time settings.

I will say this, when I host while playing with a friend, it is much more likely to fill; 2 people in server instead of 1.

I personally love the casual host system, of course it can be improved, but in my opinion new features and options should be 'as well as', not 'instead of'.

I'd rather not see a 'unification' forcing me to change how I choose to play, the host function is what makes AMS2 for me.

13. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

From the April Development update:
    Automobilista 2 April 2021 Development Update | Reiza Studios Forum
    Development updates are usually released on a monthly basis and always worth reading.

14. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It is a shame my game copies the settings from the last lobby joined and make them too the settings for the next lobby I host.
    There are way to many settings on to much tabs to make setting up a quick lobby not so quick.
    I would love to have a template or the copy function disabled, so l will have the settings I want when starting a new quick lobby.

This is talking about TT. of the week, knowing more track-car combo's is perhaps a spin-off, but I don't expect it will have a positive influence on the lobby-races
    (The value of what was written has to be questioned, I noticed the ranking system wasn't postponed to the future jet.)
    The multiplayer supposed to be just for fun ? I play AMS2 for fun, but i think it means to temper our expectations.

In any case, we can be pleased that not all races take place in closed league servers, which made some games the public lobbies a practice and recruitment environment. Endless practice without coming to a race, sometimes with an overload of chat messages to join race so and so (in a closed lobby, or via discord s..t )

Native (in-game) scheduled races are the solution for me. I have had some great races in the Beta-scheduled-test (if they were well announced)
    well stocked, you know what and where you're going to ride and people stay in the race until the end.

15. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Agreed and crucial imo current is a pain. when you inherit the others settings if they had no P set just q and r . when you set up and choose p it has default time of midnight (easy to miss ) it should be default midday. raised this over 12 months ago.

If i recall PC2 has favorite as option for session setup so 1 click works fine. roots of this should be in ams 2 and easy implement

Other thing I dislike is having to constant rename from default 'lobby' to yours. AMS2 should just retain all your last/and new lobby settings

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. Lab Pong

Lab Pong OG Sim'er

I use the P2P service to hold races in the evening time here in the US. I have a decent turn out because of a couple factors. I use a few cars that a wide variety of people like to drive....and tracks that match those cars. If you can get 3 people to start with you when you fire up the race......it will normally attract players much more easily than if it is just you sitting in the lobby waiting for other players to start getting more to join in.

That said......Im tired of GT3 and GGE but others still mainly enjoy those classes as they go fast, break fast, and are more easily driven than other offerings. So I understand this and on occasion I use those classes....but not often. I mainly use the 2021 Stock cars, GT1 mainly. Then V10 Gen 1 and F3 open wheel cars, and then something like Ultima's, German Group, Porsche Cups, to mix it up sometimes.

I find that most in the lobbies do gravitate to certain cars or tracks and do not step out of their comfort zone to try other cars or tracks they are not used to. It can easily be attributed to skill or experience levels I think.

Also, I was bummed that just after the last big update with the new track and car.....my P2P sessions would save last used settings for everything......until a few days ago....now they default back or default to settings never used....odd. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Like Like x 1