1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stuttering still here after a 6 month break

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by jonelsorel, Aug 13, 2021.

1. jonelsorel

jonelsorel New Member

Hey Reiza,

I'm back at playing your latest title after a half year voluntary break, in which I expected some fundamental issues that were there to be fixed. I'll start with the good: you removed the possibility to edit setup values in the garage with the steering wheel, something that was unique to AMS2. Meaning that if you had you steering off center and you hovered over a value in the garage, it would edit it without you actually wanting to. A step forward!

But pardon me for jumping straight to the bad: stuttering is still there, in all its glory, no matter what i run, practice or race. Seriously, this thing was there before 1.0 and never left. Just like a pest problem. Which makes me ask the question: why does it take over a year to find the piece of code that's causing the issue? I understand there's a roadmap and plans, but why do you keep pushing new content out if the core game can't be enjoyed by everyone like a top grade sim is supposed to - smoothly?

I don't know if it's a clue, but this is the only game in which my video card does this - going berserk on the power limit - as I play, even though it's undervolted. Gpu speed is constant, voltage too, frametime and framerate (capped) are solid, gpu usage is between 50 and 70%, temp is around 55 degrees celsius while playing.

upload_2021-8-13_23-42-40.png

Usually the easiest to spot stuttering proof is when frametime is all over the place. Not the case. Framerate top, frametime bottom. They're both fine. But stuttering is just permanent. Starts after a few corners, and it's worse while cornering, but after half a lap it's just continuous.

upload_2021-8-13_23-49-22.png

Please tell me/us (the ones having this problem): what can we do to help you fix this? I bought the full version of the game, seasons pass and all (just like the previous one). I simply can't play it. Forget being competitive, it's unplayable.

I can run Assetto Corsa maxxed with CSP/SOL and 30 cars on a huge map like LA Canyons; I can run DCS world maxxed and Flight Simulator 2020 maxxed, in any weather - all butter smooth.

Please fix this?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  2. Sampo

Sampo Member AMS2 Club Member

Try removing your overclocks and undervolts and see if this happens without them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I get stutter but only when AI cars pit, it is a known issue.

• Like Like x 1
  4. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I know vid performance is influenced by many things.
    @ 1080p AMS2 runs smooth even with everything maxed on my single.
    Don't know about triples, 3D, 1440p and 4K.

PS: It would be easy if you add your specs in sig

5. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

It's a frustrating one I know , had the same problem with AMS ! The only way I could stop it then was to not have time progression enabled and then it would run silky smooth .
    Have never had a problem with AMS2 though , have always run it with vsync on though .
    Will say that I don't believe it's a software specific problem as there certainly doesn't seem to be widespread reports of stuttering on AMS2 , you may just be unlucky with your hardware setup not particularly liking this sim .
    Good luck mate .v

• Like Like x 1
  6. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What tools are used to make those graphics?
    Can you give a description of the situation you experience this stuttering?
    Do you have other software running together with AMS2?
    What is your hardware-profile?

7. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Reduce Pit Crew Detail to player only.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

If you've VVR control switched on in the monitor turn it off.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

@jonelsorel
    I dont know if it will help you in your fault finding - but checking your Power Limit graph then I guess something looks weird.
    On my system where both the CPU and GPU is undervolted and slightly overclocked its pretty seldom that the Power limit goes above the 0(zero) state.
    This is a monitoring plot while driving Raceroom with most of all settings maxed.

GTX_1060-G6.png

• Like Like x 1
  10. jonelsorel

jonelsorel New Member

I did. Nothing happens. And again, other than Automobilista 1 (now fixed) and 2 (not yet), no other games I play ever stutter.

VVR being?

I didn't mention. The game stutters in practice. I don't even feel like trying a race.

11. jonelsorel

jonelsorel New Member

"Tools used to make those graphics".. what do you mean? The screenshots are from MSI Afterburner. Stuttering comes on right when I go out from pits, a couple of hundred meters down the track and it gets terrible when cornering, when the image is moving sideways more. Other people mentioned this too on forums/reddit for some time now. Other than MSI Afterburner, I have Kaspersky Internet Security (which is set to bypass scanning of game files for all my games). Hardware wise I have a 4790k with 32GB 2400mhz ram, 1070 gpu. The very same software/hardware environment runs pretty pretentious flight sims like DCS / FS2020 without hiccups whatsoever. This is not a rig issue, since all the other games I usually play, from one end to another (Assetto Corsa, rfactor2, BeamNG, Wreckfest, Ghost Recon Wildlands/Breakpoint, Rage2, Escape From Tarkov, Battlefield series) show no stuttering. Automobilista 1 had stuttering up until one of the latest patches, as I was surprised to see it's smooth as butter now. It's pretty weird to have this happen when the gpu utilization hovers around 50% (AMS1) and doesn't go over 75% with AMS2. Optimal Power/Performance (nvidia control panel) doesn't make any difference, vsync on/off neither, AVX/SSE2 neither. No ingame graphics options stop the stuttering.

Thanks for the tip!
    There's quite a few reports of it happening.
    I really hope that it's at least acknowledged by Reiza as an issue. I've been building and tweaking PCs for over 20 years, and unfortunately one thing that's definitely changed over time is that studios no longer test like they did.

What video settings could improve performance? (stuttering vs sudden time acceleration-slowdown)
    Mini but annoying stutters when crash
    stuttering/rubberbanding since 0.9.6.0
    Always stutter :: Automobilista 2 General Discussions

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

I set the pit crew details to "Player only" and the stuttering has gone. Obviously, my machine has problems when AI crews come out/ pop up.

13. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

It s true that there is some stutter in specific tracks (imola, outlon park etc) and in specific places inside those tracks (eg in outlon 's last corner, after Variante Alta turns in imola) regardless video settings (at least in my setup). There may be other tracks too:oops:

I hope Reiza will - someday optimize all tracks

• Like Like x 1
  14. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I will have to try that unfortunately, I hope it is something they can fix

15. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Nurburgring, Mercedes Arena, turn 4...

16. jonelsorel

jonelsorel New Member

Here's a clip of my experience on the Virginia track. Couldn't believe my eyes that you can actually see how bad the stuttering is in the clip too.

17. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Yes, some tracks need some optimisation pass. Try night driving in VR.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. jonelsorel

jonelsorel New Member

I do this with every game I run for close to 3 years now. Appreciate it. It doesn't change a thing with AMS2.

20. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

I’ve recently found forcing DX11 mode in a WMR headset really helps too.